PDA

View Full Version : opinions on gluten free diet

alphagoose
03-13-2011, 12:47 PM
hey everyone ive been doing some reading on the gluten free diet and the theories behind it. i DO NOT have celiacs disease but i have been interested in the diet mainly because of my inability to gain weight. i also eat pretty clean(aka whole foods) but am not afraid to have a snack or processed food. You may jump straight to the point that i am not eating enough to gain weight, and you may be right. but i really have a hard time believing that im not eating enough even to see a small increase in weight, which i have not in the past year. One thing ive heard about gluten is that it acts almost like a paste in your intestines that blocks your food from digesting properly and not allowing as much of the nutrients to be absorbed by the body. Is there any truth to this? what are your opinions?

If this is true, could it explain why most of my food just passes through me and not going to repairing and building muscle?

f=ma
03-13-2011, 12:52 PM
believe it, youre not eating enough. why would you be an exception to the same rules that apply to every other species on the planet?

if you cant gain any weight, youre obviously not tracking your calories/quantities to the extent of knowing whether or not you have reached your necessary calorie levels.

alphagoose
03-13-2011, 01:00 PM
the only reason why im skeptical is that ive talked to a few people who have actually gained weight when going gluten free. didnt know if i might just react like they had

f=ma
03-13-2011, 01:03 PM
go for it.

my question to you and them is why would a gluten free diet, given identical calorie levels, allow one to gain weight over a non-gluten free diet?

alphagoose
03-13-2011, 01:09 PM
im not certain, but,
One thing ive heard about gluten is that it acts almost like a paste in your intestines that blocks your food from digesting properly and not allowing as much of the nutrients to be absorbed by the body.

SDS
03-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Gluten doesn't act like a paste in your intestines. Do you hear crackling noises coming from inside when you bend over? I didn't think so. But, I don't see anything wrong with going gluten free. It really serves no nutritional purpose, but it does make your pizza crust chewier. You're not going to instantly start putting on weight just by not eating gluten.

alphagoose
03-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Gluten doesn't act like a paste in your intestines. Do you hear crackling noises coming from inside when you bend over? I didn't think so. But, I don't see anything wrong with going gluten free. It really serves no nutritional purpose, but it does make your pizza crust chewier. You're not going to instantly start putting on weight just by not eating gluten.

i dont think you understand the analogy. by paste, i intended that it blocks the nutrients from being absorbed as well as they should be. and i also did not suggest that i will put mass on quickly by eating gluten free, just questioned if it would help

tom183
03-13-2011, 06:19 PM
by paste, i intended that it blocks the nutrients from being absorbed as well as they should be

Never heard anything like this. Are you able to provide any credible source(s)?

As the above posters have said, going gluten free is not your answer. Eating more calories is.

alphagoose
03-13-2011, 06:36 PM
these have some explanations on how it affects celiacs.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/celiac-disease/features/gluten-intolerance-against-grain

http://www.the-vitaman.com/idc/groups/public/documents/digital_asset/S001991.pdf

alphagoose
03-13-2011, 06:57 PM
http://www.medicinenet.com/celiac_disease/page2.htm

f=ma
03-13-2011, 07:10 PM
just pick up the fork man

its not the gluten

alphagoose
03-13-2011, 07:12 PM
lol fair enough

Holto
03-14-2011, 12:25 PM
I love this board.

Even if you're theory on gluten was true, you could simply eat more to compensate. If it was blocking all your food, you'd be dead.

Good luck alphagoose!

Dan Fanelli
03-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Nobody has asked the question.

Are you crapping more than 2-3x per day?

dynamo
03-14-2011, 01:37 PM

paste not spackle, sheesh.

alphagoose
03-14-2011, 04:11 PM
I love this board.

Even if you're theory on gluten was true, you could simply eat more to compensate. If it was blocking all your food, you'd be dead.

Good luck alphagoose!

thank you. yea im not saying its true, just a thought. and it could be possible that it was partially blocking food instead of all of it

alphagoose
03-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Nobody has asked the question.

Are you crapping more than 2-3x per day?
at least once, sometimes twice

thank you! lol

SDS
03-14-2011, 06:02 PM

Would spackle harden at 98.6?

jAy_Dub
03-14-2011, 08:39 PM
just pick up the fork man

its not the gluten

:withstupi:

The stuff that gets said around here sometimes is mind blowing lol. I've put 90 lbs on my frame on a super ultra bulk that lasted a few years. Did I give a **** about gluten? Hell no!

Quit being a baby and eat some damn food. Stop with the gluten nonsense, its only an excuse.

I love this board.

Good luck alphagoose!

LOL, exactly.

I'm surprised no one has asked to see the OP's diet.

So, what exactly are you eating now that you cant seem to gain weight on?? Lets start there.

alphagoose
03-14-2011, 08:45 PM
no need to call me a baby, i do agree i need to eat more. i did not intend this to be an excuse that im not gaining weight. this thread was supposed to be more about seeing if anyone had though about this theory

jAy_Dub
03-14-2011, 08:50 PM
So you're not even going to tell us what you're eating? :scratch:

I apologize for calling you a baby...

But you're definitely making excuses...

You may jump straight to the point that i am not eating enough to gain weight, and you may be right. but i really have a hard time believing that im not eating enough even to see a small increase in weight, which i have not in the past year

dynamo
03-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Would spackle harden at 98.6?

lol as long as its above 50F you're good, its water based so higher the temp, less time you have to work with it. Definitely don't dry wall your intestines though.

alphagoose
03-14-2011, 08:59 PM
So you're not even going to tell us what you're eating? :scratch:

I apologize for calling you a baby...

But you're definitely making excuses...

your right, i did say that. but you shouldnt be so quick to shut down the idea. im not saying its right or wrong i was just putting an idea out there. and everyone is different. i myself gained 25 pounds in two years...and thats been a real struggle. so i do need to eat more, but what if what i was currently eating enough, but too much of those calories werent being absorbed because of this theory. just a thought...

dynamo
03-14-2011, 09:09 PM
i never gained so much weight so fast as i did when i ate pb&j 4 times a day. go eat some food, double your intake of whatever you eat now.

jAy_Dub
03-14-2011, 09:12 PM
your right, i did say that. but you shouldnt be so quick to shut down the idea. im not saying its right or wrong i was just putting an idea out there. and everyone is different. i myself gained 25 pounds in two years...and thats been a real struggle. so i do need to eat more, but what if what i was currently eating enough, but too much of those calories werent being absorbed because of this theory. just a thought...

LOL

You might as well have just written blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

I see no diet here. You obviously dont care about getting help and putting in real work to get results.

I hope you're in a great financial position cuz that gluten free stuff is pricey $$

Have fun! :hello:

alphagoose
03-14-2011, 09:13 PM
i never gained so much weight so fast as i did when i ate pb&j 4 times a day. go eat some food, double your intake of whatever you eat now.
ok forget that i mentioned i havn't gained weight

alphagoose
03-14-2011, 09:16 PM
LOL

You might as well have just written blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

I see no diet here. You obviously dont care about getting help and putting in real work to get results.

I hope you're in a great financial position cuz that gluten free stuff is pricey $$

Have fun! :hello:

u need to relax man. no i have no posted my diet, it changes everyday and i do not record it so writing it down is not going to happen instantly. i expected this to be less about me and more about the idea i proposed.

f=ma
03-15-2011, 03:38 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6OkZCzVkH3t7S4DNjSIVBS6gqcI_kU6cBALln5xAwyWOddcmnMg

wut

dynamo
03-15-2011, 06:27 AM
ok forget that i mentioned i havn't gained weight

are you eating 4 pb&j sandwiches a day on top of what you eat right now? thats what I thought, go try that. Don't fool yourself either and do a little smear of jelly and pb on each side, load it up. go ahead.

Alex.V
03-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Guys, meet dead horse.

Continue beating.

dynamo
03-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Guys, meet dead horse.

Continue beating.

i like my dead horse tender

alphagoose
03-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Guys, meet dead horse.

Continue beating.

yea pretty pointless discussion

SDS
03-15-2011, 02:40 PM
You could always get your poop tested to determine digestive efficiency I suppose. That's probably the only way to get peace of mind. That's what I finally did concerning my test levels. Nothing like having numeric data to base things off of. I have an appointment with my gastro doc in July.......if I can remember I'll pick his brain on the gluten issue.

jAy_Dub
03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
u need to relax man. no i have no posted my diet, it changes everyday and i do not record it so writing it down is not going to happen instantly. i expected this to be less about me and more about the idea i proposed.

I think we pretty much covered the idea you proposed and determined its a terrible one. I was simply trying to help you out (in a asshole-ish sort of way) but eh whatever man.

TKisner
03-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Interesting article on gluten http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2010/09/19/paleo-diet-solution/