PDA

View Full Version : Workout floor: concrete or pad?

hug dog
03-14-2011, 03:14 PM
So this weekend I finally got my garage organized so I can move a power rack, bench, and pull down machine in it. My garage has a concrete floor. For you guys who have a home gym do you put anything on the floor? I know that at most gyms I go to they have rubber mats under the the equipment. What is the reason? Is it better for the body, to protect the weights, or to protect the floor?

What other piece of equipment do you regularly use? Or do I have it covered? thanks.

StLRPh
03-14-2011, 03:31 PM
If you have bumpers you should be good to go. If not you may want something to protect your floor wherever you deadlift.

Mark!
03-14-2011, 03:40 PM
I do it to protect MY ass from the wife. She doesn't really care about what happens and all, but she cares about a crack in the floor or chips out of the concrete, so yeah. DO NOT buy those damn rubber mats from a gym equipment store...go to a farm supply place and buy the rubber mats there. I buy them from tractor supply for about $35. I use them primarily to save the floor from chipping, and from keeping my plates, kettlebells and atlas stones from chipping.

I also use them for atlas stones, cut one in 3rds and have it there when I drop the stone off the platform.

ScottYard
03-14-2011, 04:22 PM
We had to build a pulling platform. Matts werent enough for dling. noise and shaking were big issues even with 3/4 inch rubber mats

MarcusWild
03-14-2011, 05:32 PM
I'd get mats for traction too. Concrete will get slippery if there's any chalk on it. Mats are much safer.

If there's not a tractor supply by you, then look for a horse supply place. They sell them as horse stall mats.

SEOINAGE
03-14-2011, 06:01 PM
I would say build a platform. My rack has to be bolted down to be stable. I was just looking at videos and such of what other people did. I am wondering if I really need to build an 8x8 platform, or if I can make the thing smaller. I know I saw some good videos on here a while back, but haven't found them again.

hug dog
03-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Wow thanks for the replies. The guy who is helping me is a construciton worker. I bet he would be happy to put together a platform for us. I will have to take a look at what other people have. Anyone have any pictures?

Thanks for the ideas on the mats. I bet they will be cheaper too!

I love craigslist but it seems that no one is returning my emails!

StLRPh
03-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Good instructions:
http://straighttothebar.com/articles/2009/03/diy_how_to_build_an_olympic_we/index.html

killxswitch
03-15-2011, 09:34 AM
I would say build a platform. My rack has to be bolted down to be stable. I was just looking at videos and such of what other people did. I am wondering if I really need to build an 8x8 platform, or if I can make the thing smaller. I know I saw some good videos on here a while back, but haven't found them again.

You don't have to do 8x8, that is just a convenient size given the dimensions of plywood. My basement didn't have room for 8x8 so mine is 8x6. I pull inside the rack so I don't need the extra 2 feet outside the rack.

Two layers of overlapping 3/4" plywood plus 3/4" rubber stall mat worked pretty well. I used a utility knife to cut the mat lengthwise and put a 2'x6' strip on either side of the rack.

My rack does not have holes for bolting it to the floor so I cut holes in the wood so it can sit down inside the platform.

Don't overthink it, just cut boards to the size you want, layer the boards logically so no seams match up to each other, use glue and screws. Also don't bother trying to use a jigsaw on the rubber mats, it is not worth the hassle. Just score it gradually with a utility knife.

Travis Bell
03-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Pulling on concrete is a bad idea (in addition to the other reasons listed) because when it chips, you can catch some in your eyes. The gym I used to work at in the beginning had no mats on the floor and I know a couple guys who had issues with concrete chips flying into their eyes.

hug dog
03-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks Travis, I didn't really think about that.

stl - now I understand what I need to be making.

Kill - I will have to see exactly the size of our power rack but 8 x8 seems really big. I might have to cut it down as well.

So today I went and priced some extra 45lb plates! Wow - $.99 a pound. Didn't expect that.

StLRPh
03-15-2011, 11:43 AM
get your plates used off Craigslist and a Play It Again sports, much cheaper. Garage sales are good also.

SEOINAGE
03-15-2011, 11:48 AM
That's another of my concerns is doing cleans, would most likely want to be doing that outside of the rack, so the larger platform might be nice there, I can't decide what to do, as I also want the rubber across the entire thing especially inside the rack area for squats, and for my feet while benching.

StLRPh
03-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Don't do cleans in a rack, that just seems like a very bad idea

hug dog
03-15-2011, 01:33 PM
get your plates used off Craigslist and a Play It Again sports, much cheaper. Garage sales are good also.

That is what I am working on. I went to play it again but they said they almost never get used and they were $.99 cents a pound. Craignlist is just making me mad. I have called and emailed people and no one will return emails or calls. Might just have to wait for yard sales.

BloodandThunder
03-15-2011, 01:36 PM
rubber tractor mat - 2 layers of 3/4" ply and some type of grip carpet on top is more than enough. If you can find some, a 20 or 25 kg bumper on both sides will help too. The carpet is especially nice if you are pulling sumo. Just make sure the base is very secure. If you buy bulk plywood you can also make pulling blocks too.

SELK
03-15-2011, 03:49 PM
That is what I am working on. I went to play it again but they said they almost never get used and they were $.99 cents a pound. Craignlist is just making me mad. I have called and emailed people and no one will return emails or calls. Might just have to wait for yard sales.

Also look for gyms going under, that is how I got all my weights (2000lbs worth) for a very reasonable price.

Some mats do still have low traction, on my deadlift platform i had to add some carpet on top for grip as the mats I have are very slick.

AdamBAG
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
I have horse stall mats under the rack in my garage. Anchored the rack directly through the mats into the concrete. You may want to build a platform depending on how level your floor is. Mine is pretty level so I put it right on the floor. You can always buy a couple of extra mats and move them around for when you are doing things outside the rack. I have two under the rack permanently and one I move around.