PDA

View Full Version : Squats Causing Shin Splints

Pythons80
03-15-2011, 03:01 AM
Last year I began to experience pain in my lower legs some time after doing squats. There were other factors to blame for this pain (such as running) but after a year of closely monitoring the situation I've determined that the pain is directly related to my squats. Last year I was doing 4 x 8 sets of 355lb, and while this was not painful during the workout, there would be a little pain shortly after my workout, and quite a lot of pain if I played sports of any kind for the next several days. I researched shin splints or MTSS as it is properly known and I am 99% sure that this is my problem.
My question for you guys is what am I doing wrong to have this kind of pain? I've lowered the weight and increased the reps to the point where I'm doing 4 x 15 of 255 but as I sit here writing I can feel a slight throbbing pain caused from the lifts I did almost a week ago! Am I leaning too far forward perhaps? I'm an ectomorph so maybe my body type just isn't built to withstand very much weight? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jefflance1
03-15-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm not trying to dismiss your observation on the squat's causing the problem but I wanted to ask if you had quit running? I personally have suffered from shin splints on more than one occasion in my life and each time I can directly attribute the problem to trying to gain to much speed and distance in my running to quickly. Every time, I have quit running for an extended period of time (2 - 3 months) and the shin splint problem would correct itself. The last time I had this problem I actually went to an orthopedic surgeon because the pain was so bad I thought I had suffered stress fractures, but after x-rays it was revealed I had a very bad case of shin splints.

To help with the pain and healing, ice your shins down 2-3 times a day and go on a daily regiment of either Ibuprofen or Naproxen Sodium (Alleve). These will help with the inflammation that is causing the pain but the number one thing you have to do is rest. Without stopping the activity which is causing the pain, you will never heal up. Good luck and I feel your pain. I've been there.

justiNCSU
03-15-2011, 06:55 PM
I feel like ive had a similar problem to you. Wasnt sure if it was from atg squats or trying to run to far after a long time off and gaining alot of weight.

BoAnderson71
03-15-2011, 06:58 PM
sit back and use your heels to push. your probably pushing off of your toes. Ibuprofen everyday for at least two weeks and ice for a short term fix. post a video for us to see your form but i bet your pushing off of your toes.

Goll65
03-15-2011, 08:15 PM
if they are shin splints i will fix them for you.. shin splints are due to muscle imbalance

u have to do this one leg at a time
sit down, put your foot flat on the floor, put the end of a 25, 35, or 45lb plate over your toes then lift your toes off the ground hold for a peak contraction. do 2x20 for each leg, then put your heel on a 2-4 inch block ond do the same thing same sets and reps also

do this 2x a week to start at the end of your workout after a month or so thjust do them as needed for maintenence. these will burn like hell at first and feel like real bad shin splints

i've personally used this and anyone who has came to me with shin splints this is all i havehad them do and it has worked exceptionally well for everyone

theBarzeen
03-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Shin splints from squatting?

Never heard of it before..... I've heard of splints in the forearms from heavy benching, but never from squatting.

I have heard about shin splints from running though, although the squats might not be helping I doubt that they would do it on their own even with terrible form.
I have to agree with the above poster that it could be a muscle imbalance.

FWIW I had some problems when I started sprinting for strongman conditioning ( and pushing sleds etc...) a well thought out change in footwear helped immensely

Pythons80
03-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for your input guys. I've read about the muscular imbalance theory and have been doing some exercises to strengthen my shins relative to my calves. These involve exercises with my steel-toed boots from work which work really really well for this. Anyways I don't think this is the major problem.
I was on this site watching a linked video for proper squat technique and I heard him talk about the position of the bar being very important. He said if you have it too far up or forward it will put a lot of stress on your shins. Usually when I do squats I use 2 of those foam pads because otherwise the bar seems to rub against my spine causing discomfort. So maybe because I'm using 2 pads the bar is placed too far forward which is causing the shin splints. I'm going to start using just one pad and see if that makes a difference. I'll also keep up with the shin strengthening exercises.

theBarzeen
03-17-2011, 04:50 PM
foam..... pads.....?????!!!!!!!??????

You're right, squatting isn't for you....... www.zumba.com

Goll65
03-17-2011, 05:15 PM
if you hae to use pussy pads the bar is in the wrong spot it should be lower there is a nice liitle ledge it will feel like the bars gonna fall at first but it wont and youll get used to it no amount of weight should hurt when the bar is in the right spot