PDA

View Full Version : Geared versus Raw form benching

shocker4221
03-15-2011, 10:14 AM
I have read that a lot of people use the same form benching regardless of using gear or not. I have been trying to do the same but it seems I don't have the same strength when I bring the bar lower and tuck my elbows compared to bringing it down higher on the chest. Is this just because of not being used to it during raw benching? When getting into heavier weight, it seems my body instinctively wants to lower the bar higher on my chest.

Brian Hopper
03-15-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm the same way, I can't bench raw the way I do in a shirt. A guy I train with can bench exactly the same way raw like he does in a shirt. It could be that your not use to it yet. I don't bring the bar crazy high but I don't touch on my belly either. When I bench raw I will touch right at my lower pec area and I do tuck my elbows.

But I would go with what's comfortable and what's going to help you move the most weight raw or in gear.

mikesbench
03-15-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm the same as Brian described. I set up the same, but touch a bit higher (bottom of pecs) when I bench raw.

ScottYard
03-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Just do what works for you. Vinny d benches low with his elbows tucked raw and hits 600, and look at a guy like stan efferding who uses a body building style to hit 600. Its all individual.

mastermonster
03-15-2011, 12:09 PM
I bench exactly the same raw or shirted. But I have a very thick rib cage, big arch along with relatively short upper arms. So, my bench stroke is only about 3 1/2 to 4 inches raw. I think these things make a huge difference as to wheather you need to alter your raw vs. equipped bench technique.

theBarzeen
03-15-2011, 01:15 PM
I touch my chest maybe an inch higher raw vs. in the shirt..... everything else is the same.