PDA

View Full Version : fat bar for sale

gmen5681
03-16-2011, 07:25 AM
http://www.silverbackstrengthequipment.com/fat-bar

this is a quality piece of equipment. and for only 100 bucks shipped thats a killer deal. 75 if you pick it up yourself.

Sensei
03-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Have you or anybody you know ordered from them?

I'd be interested in buying one of the atlas stones - I've made some that turned out okay, but I'd like a smoother stone.

vdizenzo
03-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Word to the wise, I'd want to know what the equipment is rated for before I'd buy it.

gmen5681
03-16-2011, 12:39 PM
he has pictures of guys deadlifting 500+ with that bar. i havent personally ordered from him, but i have used his stuff before. he has sponsered some strongman comps before with his equipment. dont think you need to worry about quality. you can give him a call and i know he would be more than happy to help anyone out that calls.

powerm64
03-16-2011, 07:13 PM
I have purchased one of the fat bars and love it. It is made of a high grade steel that will handle any load you can throw on it.

vdizenzo
03-17-2011, 05:42 AM
I am not speaking ill of the man or his products. I am just throwing out a cautionary response. When I buy a bar I want to know what it is rated for. 500+ is not a crazy amount of weight especially considering how strong powerlifters and strongmen are. I would just want to know the actual number and not have to hope or guess. Just because a bar hold 500 lbs once does not mean it can handle the load time and time again.

dynamo
03-17-2011, 09:01 AM
well from that picture on the site it looks like it can hold well over 500 lbs, its not flexing all that much, of course this is all just qualitative. who knows it could warp at 700 lbs and thats no fun.

Sensei
03-19-2011, 10:15 AM
I bought a fat bar recently - this one: http://www.roguefitness.com/the-rogue-axle.php

I'd wanted an Apollon axle from Ironmind since forever, but decided to get this one because it was about half the price.

Only time will tell if I made the right decision, but honestly, because it's a fat bar, I doubt I will ever be putting much more than 300lbs on it.

lenny spero
03-19-2011, 12:22 PM
the imitation prowler looks pretty dope...id be intrested in a bootleg poor mans glute ham raise

Tom Mutaffis
03-23-2011, 01:41 AM
I am glad the Vincent brought up the rating of the equipment because it can definitely be a factor with an axle bar.

Anson (owner of Silverback) is a friend of a friend and I trust that he makes good equipment based on what I have seen from his interactions online, but when shopping for an axle you do want to make sure that you consider the application since there are different types of pipe that can be used (schedule 40, schedule 80, and solid stock).

For most individuals who are looking to do some upper body training with a fat bar the Silverback axle is perfect and also a great value. If you plan to do a lot of heavy deadlifting, clean and press, or rack work then you may want to look at other options depending on your strength levels. I would say that this axle should hold up well up to around 400 lbs, but anything over that and you will likely end up bending the bar over time. One thing to note about axles is that they do not flex, if you see one 'flex' then the bar is probably going to end up warped when that person is finished with their lift.

So just to summarize I would say that if you are looking to do some pressing, rows, curls, etc. and want to use a fat bar then I would definitely grab the Silverback axle, there is not a better deal out there. If you are someone who is going to be pulling 500+ lbs or doing heavy rack work then you may want to look for a solid axle (IronMind, etc.).