effective it is to eat whole wheat products as compared to
white bread/rice. I guess gram for gram they all count
as carbs, but can someone tell me about how they
are converted by our bodies?

thanks,
jim

Bobarell
05-20-2002, 02:38 PM
Here's the way I understand it. The white products have a lot of the nutrients taken out. The nutrients are what makes the carbs affective, but with the whites there are no nutrients.

raniali
05-20-2002, 03:13 PM
Well it's not that there are NO nutrients - its just that the good stuff is much less in white products. They grain or rice is white because it was bleached - which effectively removes MOST of the vitamins, minerals and FIBER. Additionally --perhaps because the fiber is removed(?)--the GI tends to be higher for white products than their natural brown counterparts.

http://www.lundberg.com/brownrice.html

Big Daddy
05-31-2002, 06:37 AM
Yeah, I think as a general rule of thumb the white products have been the most heavily refined and processed. One problem seems to be that the fiber has been removed which means that your body can more easily digest it. This leads to increased blood sugar levels at a faster rate which can inturn trigger insulin which will try to pump the excess into your cells, fat and muscle. At least this is my understanding. Now we also have to worry about the insulin index but I think the GI still gives a pretty good indication to the affect on insulin levels.

I think if you are taking in minimal carbs you'd really only want to take in those with a low GI because you want to get the most value out of the carbs you do take in. Exception to this is obviously post workout when you want high GI carbs for an insulin spike.

Tryska
05-31-2002, 07:47 AM
all white powders are addictive.

Behemoth
05-31-2002, 08:58 AM
fo real?

thalapathi
05-31-2002, 04:26 PM
Tryska- I have heard people say that in supermarkets Wheat Bread is also just white bread but coloured. But when I read the ingredient list it says wheat. How could that be? So are health food stores the only place where you can actually get whole wheat products.

Blood&Iron
05-31-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by thalapathi
Tryska- I have heard people say that in supermarkets Wheat Bread is also just white bread but coloured. But when I read the ingredient list it says wheat. How could that be? So are health food stores the only place where you can actually get whole wheat products.
I know I'm not Tryska...

They're not the same, but you aren't far off the mark. Make sure the first ingredient is stone ground/unrefined whole wheat, not enriched whole wheat flour, cracked wheat, or whatever other terms they try to trick you with. I'm pretty sure that real wheat bread is generally quite dark and fairly high in fiber and protein(4g and up of both) as compared to the 'fake' stuff(Could be wrong on this one; I barely eat any bread at all nowadays)

Tryska
05-31-2002, 09:21 PM
ya make a fine stand-in tho, B&I. basiacally what he said...if it doesn't say stone ground, unrefined and/or whole wheat as the first ingredient, it's not really whole wheat.

MonStar
05-31-2002, 10:30 PM
I have been eating Lite Wheat bread for a while now, 40 calories per slice, 4g protein, 9g carbs, .25g fat. Losing fat at a very good rate I think. :):)

MS