PDA

View Full Version : Best pre-work out foods time wise?

scumbag
03-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Are there certain foods that would be more advantageous than others to consume a few hours 1 - 3 hours PRE work out and foods that would be good maybe 30 minutes before?

Behemoth
03-19-2011, 05:26 PM
This is a good question to raise.

I can't train well if I feel even slightly full. My optimal preworkout meal is oats and a meat protein source two hours prior and then only bcaa until post workout nutrition. If I'm pressed for time but need to get in the same macros worth of food in a less (than the aforementioned) filling food its lowfat popart(s) and nitrean. Even with the latter I still need about an hour to digest to train my best.

The amount also varies depending on my goals. If I'm bulking it could be as high as 60g worth of protein and 125g worth of carbs. If I'm on a very restrictive diet it may be as low as 40g protein and 25g carbs.

Cards
03-19-2011, 05:44 PM
I refuse to eat before my heavy days (sat and sun). I feel like it takes away from my pre-workout ritual. During the week when I work, I'll eat 1-2 hours before hand. As for food type, carbs/simple sugars.

Behemoth
03-19-2011, 06:54 PM
I refuse to eat before my heavy days (sat and sun). I feel like it takes away from my pre-workout ritual. During the week when I work, I'll eat 1-2 hours before hand. As for food type, carbs/simple sugars.

This brings up a good point that I've seen it to be extremely individual as far as who operates best on what. Cards here does well on simple sugars (which are fine IMO) but I personally train like crap using them or even maltodextrin (I know, not simple). He may well train like garbage eating oats even if they were spaced farther away.

f=ma
03-19-2011, 07:01 PM
i like a combination of oats, dextrose and whey. anything heavier affects my ability to perform

Dan Fanelli
03-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Im sorta like cards and behemoth in that I dont do well if im at all full. I usually workout around 7:00 pm and eat my last big meal no later than 3:00 pm. But then 1-2 hours before my workout there are all kinds of things that I'll eat.

A protein shake or milk is almost always in my pre-workout feeding somewhere. But everything from peanut butter, coconut milk, to pop tarts, rice krispie treats, and fruit loops works too.

As Behemoth pointed out its pretty individual though. As long as something doesn't upset my stomach or leave me with a crash in blood sugar im good to go.

tom183
03-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Regarding timing, I feel most comfortable training with a medium-full stomach which for me means eating until I'm full about one hour pre workout.
Regarding food choices, like Dan Fanelli, as long as it doesn't upset my stomach (and, to be honest, not much does) I'm good to go.

scumbag
03-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the replies guys appreciate it.

Can you guys give more examples of foods good for pre-work out:

So far you've listed:

Oats
Whey
Peanut butter
Rice Krispies
Pop Tarts

Any other whole foods that would be optimal for pre-work out a few hours before? Would lentils be good?

And anymore examples of foods for that quick shot of energy perhaps an hour or 30 min a work out?

NickAus
03-20-2011, 03:43 PM
I like a protein shake and 3-4 spoonfulls of yogurt.......being doing this a while and have had plenty of energy.

NickAus
03-20-2011, 03:46 PM
This is a good question to raise.

I can't train well if I feel even slightly full. My optimal preworkout meal is oats and a meat protein source two hours prior and then only bcaa until post workout nutrition. If I'm pressed for time but need to get in the same macros worth of food in a less (than the aforementioned) filling food its lowfat popart(s) and nitrean. Even with the latter I still need about an hour to digest to train my best.

The amount also varies depending on my goals. If I'm bulking it could be as high as 60g worth of protein and 125g worth of carbs. If I'm on a very restrictive diet it may be as low as 40g protein and 25g carbs.

Rory,

Could you please tell me how much protein/ carbs a 220lb lifter maintaining his weight (can go up to 225) should have before and after training?

Right now I have 30/60 before and again after........is this too little?

Thanks.

Behemoth
03-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Rory,

Could you please tell me how much protein/ carbs a 220lb lifter maintaining his weight (can go up to 225) should have before and after training?

Right now I have 30/60 before and again after........is this too little?

Thanks.

It seems meager to me. I myself like a minimum of 40g protein consumed within the last 2 hours before I workouts in most scenarios.

What really matters though is if what you're doing is working for your needs. If it is that says more than any advice anybody may be able to suggest IMO.

Behemoth
03-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the replies guys appreciate it.

Can you guys give more examples of foods good for pre-work out:

So far you've listed:

Oats
Whey
Peanut butter
Rice Krispies
Pop Tarts

Any other whole foods that would be optimal for pre-work out a few hours before? Would lentils be good?

And anymore examples of foods for that quick shot of energy perhaps an hour or 30 min a work out?

It's really less about there being an optimal food(s) and more about having the right energy and feeling your best from the moment you enter the door to the time your workout ends.

Like I said it can be pretty individual, and you'll likely be able to make it your own in time. The important things to remember are to make sure you have protein in you within the last few hours and [in most scenarios] have carbs in you within the last few hours also. The types and amounts you may need to toy with. Fat dominant sources like peanut butter are not things I would necessarily startout with in trying to nail down your optimal nutrition, but who knows maybe in time you'll end up with it in the meal also.

NickAus
03-20-2011, 05:58 PM
It seems meager to me. I myself like a minimum of 40g protein consumed within the last 2 hours before I workouts in most scenarios.

What really matters though is if what you're doing is working for your needs. If it is that says more than any advice anybody may be able to suggest IMO.

Thanks, I am going to take it up to 40/80 before and after training.

I have been putting on muscle at a slow rate which is pretty normal but I would now really like to fill out the 220s......right now Im an average 198er small 220......have made the choice to stick with the 220s.

Alex.V
03-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Are there certain foods that would be more advantageous than others to consume a few hours 1 - 3 hours PRE work out and foods that would be good maybe 30 minutes before?

16 ounces low carb monster.
16-24 mg ephedrine
1 heaping cup of hate.

Off Road
03-20-2011, 06:37 PM
If I'm feeling a little low on energy, I like a big bowl of pre-workout Lucky Charms or Cap'n Crunch.

thatNUCKOLSkid
03-20-2011, 11:11 PM
with me, it depends what i'm training.

if i'm squatting or benching, i eat everything possible prior to training. i like to get my bloat on to improve my leverages :)

if i'm deadlifting, i won't eat anything 2-3 hours prior to training. my setup is a lot less comfortable if i have anything in my stomach.