PDA

View Full Version : Any NCAA athletes here who use AtLarge? (Nitrean)

Dgro
03-19-2011, 03:17 PM
basically, the NCAA doesn't put out a complete list of banned substances. there's some stuff online but it's not a complete list, and it's the athlete's responsibility to find out (from the Athletic Training staff, I guess) if a specific supplement is kosher or not. I'm on spring break right now so I won't see my ATs for 10 days (i'll email the head trainer but he may not get back until after break), after which that sweet Nitrean sale will be over.

Does anyone know for a fact whether or not Nitrean is NCAA compliant? bit of a long shot, i know, just gotta ask

I'm also wondering about Opticen and Results, but that's not time-sensitive. If no one knows I'll post the info here after I talk to the Trainers

bloodybob
03-19-2011, 03:53 PM
basically, the NCAA doesn't put out a complete list of banned substances. there's some stuff online but it's not a complete list, and it's the athlete's responsibility to find out (from the Athletic Training staff, I guess) if a specific supplement is kosher or not. I'm on spring break right now so I won't see my ATs for 10 days (i'll email the head trainer but he may not get back until after break), after which that sweet Nitrean sale will be over.

Does anyone know for a fact whether or not Nitrean is NCAA compliant? bit of a long shot, i know, just gotta ask

I'm also wondering about Opticen and Results, but that's not time-sensitive. If no one knows I'll post the info
here after I talk to the Trainers

I'm not exactly a credible source, but I don't see how a protein power could be a banned substance.

f=ma
03-19-2011, 04:07 PM
bob i thought the same thing.. however, muscle milk has effective IGF-1 in it, which is most definitely banned. caffeine beyond trace amounts are also banned

krazylarry
03-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Protein powder is food, how can you ban food. Buy the nitrean.
BTW NCAA drug testing is a joke.

Behemoth
03-19-2011, 07:16 PM
I find that unbelievable to ban caffeine "beyond trace amounts". What if someone loves coffee or expresso. That level of trying to micromanage every to be the same is ridiculous. Caffeine is a natural substance and assuming the info F=MA posted is accurate I would not be surprised if in the future protein powders were restricted. wow

BigRic
03-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Our AT ok'd them when I was in college. Unless your in a sport where you'd compete in yearly NCAA tournaments I doubt you'd be tested by the NCAA more than once in your entire college career. I was tested once by the NCAA (just prior to my senior year bowl game, in which I was injured for). I've heard that test done by your institution are only for street drugs. You'll probably be alright even if Nitrean was produced at Balco.

Dgro
03-19-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm not exactly a credible source, but I don't see how a protein power could be a banned substance.

i really don't know much about supplements. all i've ever taken is 100% egg protein. but i do know that,
1) there's a reason this stuff is popular, because it works better than "regular protein", and
2) given how incredibly anal the NCAA is about what their athletes consume, any one of the extra ingrediates could set off a red flag

bob i thought the same thing.. however, muscle milk has effective IGF-1 in it, which is most definitely banned. caffeine beyond trace amounts are also banned

great example.

Our AT ok'd them when I was in college. Unless your in a sport where you'd compete in yearly NCAA tournaments I doubt you'd be tested by the NCAA more than once in your entire college career.

good to know.

i'm in track, they probably test individual athletes more than they would someone on a football or basketball team (just a guess). while i havent heard any facts (don't think the NCAA wants people knowing how often they test), the rumor is that at nationals they'll test 2 of the 8 all-americans in every event

so once they get down to the final heat/flight of 8, they'll randomly pick two guys to get tested. could be first and second, or it could be seventh and eighth. so yeah, if you're a consistent all-american you're gonna end up getting tested, most likely.

wouldn't you hate to be the idiot who lost his medal for drinking too much muscle milk? that's why, at least where i go to school, people don't even mess around with the more "cutting edge" supps like what AtLarge makes. then again, we're Division 3 so there's not a lot of motivation to test the boundaries like there is for D1 guys

cphafner
03-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I can't imagine they aren't, but run it past your strength and conditioning coach.

f=ma
03-20-2011, 09:47 AM
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/53e6f4804e0b8a129949f91ad6fc8b25/2009-10+Banned+Drug+Classes.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=53e6f4804e0b8a129949f91ad6fc8b25

JohnnyRingo
03-20-2011, 11:36 AM
from the testing experiences i have been around everything is illegal lol. BUT they are looking for bigger things. Caffeine is illegal, i want to say it's something like 50 mg the morning of will put you over the limit, and seeing as how the tests are taking like 7a.m. idk how they could possibly punish someone for having some coffee. All of the athletes (im around) take combat, myofusion, and other blend proteins without issue so i would imagine that if those are fine nitrean should be as well. Also they seem to be having a problem with 1,3 dimeth lately so pick your pre's accordingly.

chris mason
03-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Nitrean is just protein, so you can use it as an NCAA athlete. Due to their weird rules the school cannot provide you pure protein, it has to be cut with a large amount of carbs, but you can take protein if you purchase it on your own from my understanding.

Double check with your strength trainer to be sure

Sensei
03-21-2011, 08:21 AM
It was a while back now, but I had to go to a meeting about drugs and banned substances every year when I was in D1 sports. Your school just expects you to know? If that's true, that's negligent at best, and probably in violation of NCAA policy.

Dgro
03-21-2011, 01:19 PM
It was a while back now, but I had to go to a meeting about drugs and banned substances every year when I was in D1 sports. Your school just expects you to know? If that's true, that's negligent at best, and probably in violation of NCAA policy.

Not exactly. The NCAA "expects" the athlete to check with their school's athletic trainers before using anything questionable, because they (the NCAA) can't reasonably be expected to put out a list of every banned substance on the market (apparently)

taken from that link f=ma posted:

NCAA Nutritional/Dietary Supplements Warning:
-Before consuming any nutritional/dietary supplement product, review the product
and its label with your athletics department staff!
-Dietary supplements are not well regulated and may cause a positive drug test result.
-Student-athletes have tested positive and lost their eligibility using dietary supplements.
-Many dietary supplements are contaminated with banned drugs not listed on the label.
-Any product containing a dietary supplement ingredient is taken at your own risk.

It is your responsibility to check with athletics staff
before using any substance

NOTE: There is no complete list of banned drug examples!!
Check with your athletics department staff to review the label of any product, medication or
supplement before you consume it

and thanks for all the replies. I bought some Nitrean because i'm 99% sure it'll be ok. I'm gonna have to check with the ATs about RESULTS before I get into that, though

f=ma
03-21-2011, 05:23 PM
in all fairness, the NCAA policies are bush league

how is it even remotely fair to lose eligibility for use of a substance whose presence may or may not be on an unpublished list?

mchicia1
03-21-2011, 07:06 PM
I played division 1 baseball...

I was drinking an energy drink getting on the bus for a road trip and my coach made me throw it out. It is really annoying...

But then again, I HIGHLY doubt anything in nitrean is going to cause you to fail a test.

BoAnderson71
03-22-2011, 12:35 AM
I am an ncaa d1 athlete, and use nitrean currently, it is fine. Muscle milk is also fine, I saw someone earlier post it should be banned because of igf-1 or something like that. Muscle milk is passed out like candy at a lot of division 1 schools, I do not think the athletic trainers would so openly and knowingly give a substance to their athletes if it is going to cause them to fail a drug test. Drug testing is getting ridiculous though, their is a certain type of vitamin water that if drank to close to testing like a day or two before will cause you too fail, I can't remember which one it is.

BigRic
03-28-2011, 10:49 PM
That's not true about the vitamin water. The NCAA sent out a statement saying that which got a whole bunch of publicity and then rescinded it which didn't get much publicity. It was about the caffeine in a few of the flavors. You'd would have had to drink litres and litres immediately prior to a drug test to fail.

SteveW
03-29-2011, 10:09 AM
I played soccer for my University and was one of the random few who actually get tested, I was using Results at the time and my test came up negative for any banned substance. The only reason I was tested is because we made it into the national tournament. My 3 years prior no one on my team was tested. Someone up there mentioned NCAA testing is a joke and they couldn't be more right. It literally took maybe a minute and I was out of there. Not sure on the Nitrean but I can't imagine it being a banned substance.

Dgro
03-29-2011, 09:53 PM
I played soccer for my University and was one of the random few who actually get tested, I was using Results at the time and my test came up negative for any banned substance.

That's just perfect, because RESULTS is the one I was really wondering about. Awesome.

chris mason
03-31-2011, 08:02 PM
Just an FYI about our products, you can click on the "supplement facts" link on any of them and see exactly what is in them. RESULTS is creatine, Beta-Alanine, HMB, dextrose, and then the flavoring system and some food coloring. Very easy to see if any of the ingredients are banned in any organization.

Dgro
03-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Very easy to see if any of the ingredients are banned in any organization.

It would be, except that the NCAA doesn't give out a complete list of banned substances. They literally tell athletes that they have to check **** with their Athletic Trainers to make sure it's ok to take

BigRic
03-31-2011, 10:56 PM
It would be, except that the NCAA doesn't give out a complete list of banned substances. They literally tell athletes that they have to check **** with their Athletic Trainers to make sure it's ok to take
They give out a complete list of banned substances. They don't give out a list of banned products, however. It's not their responsibility to check every supplement out there to see if it complies with NCAA guidelines.

joey54
04-01-2011, 04:41 AM
If you are d3, you aren't getting tested unless you are in contention firms national title. You would be surprised at the number of d3 football players using steroids.