PDA

View Full Version : Donnie competing today?

Travis Bell
03-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Anyone have an idea on how things are going at the ST meet today? I think Donnie is competing if I'm not mistaken

joey54
03-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Saw somewhere else he bombed. 1st attempt depth, 2nd could not unrack, 3rd fell back.

chris mason
03-20-2011, 04:02 PM
That's too bad...

Tim K
03-20-2011, 06:42 PM
I believe the attempts were made at 1,280 lbs - or near that.

vdizenzo
03-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Donnie is an animal. I can't imagine how frustrated he must be with all his recent bombs. The problem is if he's not frustrated. There used to be a time when guys were really embarrassed, now it's just commonplace. I wish there would be a new standard in powerlifting where your lift would be the average of your two best attempts. This way you just can't hope for one good lift where the planets, stars, moon, etc line up for it to happen.

Again, this is not Donnie bashing. I really like and admire him. The boming goes on with many lifters. I think it's one of the biggest reasons multi-ply lifting lost its allure with the public and venues like the Arnold.

Travis Bell
03-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Takes me a couple weeks to get over bombing. Makes me feel like I wasted an entire training cycle

Hopefully Big Don will be back to hammer it another day.

SELK
03-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Donnie is an animal. I can't imagine how frustrated he must be with all his recent bombs. The problem is if he's not frustrated. There used to be a time when guys were really embarrassed, now it's just commonplace. I wish there would be a new standard in powerlifting where your lift would be the average of your two best attempts. This way you just can't hope for one good lift where the planets, stars, moon, etc line up for it to happen.

Again, this is not Donnie bashing. I really like and admire him. The boming goes on with many lifters. I think it's one of the biggest reasons multi-ply lifting lost its allure with the public and venues like the Arnold.

Interesting Idea, there certainly is alot of bombing in multiply. I don't think that is the full solution though.. if we are taking an average of lifts it would encourage people to open heavier then take smaller jumps. We would have to do a weighted average or something.. oh man.. its hard enough to figure out best lifter at some meets..

I can see why Donnie opens with a WR, hes not going to be happy squatting 1200lbs. I am sure to him squatting 1200lbs would be just as much as a failure to him as bombing. Eventually everything is going to come together, it wasn't long ago I saw a vid of him squatting 1200+ at a meet and it looked good!

CrazyEyesPat
03-21-2011, 12:43 PM
he was about an inch or two away from taking vlad's all time squat record @ the lexen fall classic.

Beverly McD.
03-21-2011, 01:43 PM
When you have a squat (or bench or deadlift) that will win most, if not every, meet you enter, I think winning may not be that big of a deal anymore.
The goal changes. Not a trophy, but a number. Anything less than that magic number means nothing and is seen as a step backward.

Travis Bell
03-21-2011, 02:08 PM
I agree with what you guys are saying, but I know for me when I bomb more than once i start to develop bad habits technique wise as well as those bombs really start to mess with your head.

Personally I think getting a couple in is still more productive to future attempts than none at all