PDA

View Full Version : USAPL PA State Meet Results

ScottYard
03-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Had my meet sunday. Things went good and bad. I tried some new things in the gym and it cost me some pounds on my squat and pull but I had a solid bench day hitting a post injury PR after being down 15 LBS form my last meet.

I was 256 meet morning. I ended up going 4 for 9. On the squat I opened at 600, and then went 650 and missed on depth. I went 655 next and again was called high again. On the bench I opened at 450 for a good lift. I then went 490 for a post injury PR and got it. I went 502 on a third for a new American record and flat out missed. On the deadlift I warmed up to 500 and my back was just tired. Not sore, just tired. I opened at 650 and my goal was complete. I then checked the records and decided to go for 716 for a new American record and I missed the damn thing. I came in first place and received the best lifter award for the raw category. I ended up totaling 1740. MY next meet is USAPL nationals and I hope to hit a 1900 plus total.

Big thanks to Atlarge Nutrition. Its tough for me to hit a bench PR after dropping 15 lbs between meets but luckily my nutrition was top notch with the aid of Nitrean, Opticen, Results, ETS, and BCAA plus. Thanks to Chris an Daniel for the support. It goes along way.

Meet videos

600 Opener Good Lift 2-1
ZkgbdR1M7t0

650 No lift Both side judges red lighted the lift
oIn9W2asQkY

655 No lift 1 red from a side judge and 1 red from the front.
H23JDsWyLqo

450 Bench Good Lift
iKb4FeWbveA

490 Bench Good Lift and Post Injury PR
_Is-XZPiOZg

650 Deadlift Good Lift
D7FaY9mLi9I

716 Miss
1g7inguCqMc

AdamBAG
03-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Congrats on the strong lifting Scott. Your raw bench is just sick. With a little more practice you'll be hitting 700+ in your squat and pull.

You have to love the depth call from the head judge. Does any fed do that besides USAPL? You sure he didn't think the bar dipped on the 655?

At the USAPL Texas state meet last year my training partner Henry Thomason squatted something like 900 single-ply and got two whites and one red. The red he got was for depth and called by the head judge.

ScottYard
03-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Congrats on the strong lifting Scott. Your raw bench is just sick. With a little more practice you'll be hitting 700+ in your squat and pull.

You have to love the depth call from the head judge. Does any fed do that besides USAPL? You sure he didn't think the bar dipped on the 655?

At the USAPL Texas state meet last year my training partner Henry Thomason squatted something like 900 single-ply and got two whites and one red. The red he got was for depth and called by the head judge.

Thanks man.

Worse part is I just pulled 755 2 meets ago. Hopefully I find my pull next meet LOL.

Phillip Wylie
03-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Nice job on your first USAPL meet, Scott. I think what got you on the deadlift was the lack of a deadlift bar in USAPL meets. I compete raw in the USAPL and recently competed at the Arnold. I am not at your level, but I wanted to share what has helped me on the deadlift. I always pull with a Texas power bar in training and never use a deadlift bar. Also deficit deadlifts helped me a lot. I feel stronger off the floor and it makes pulling without a deadlift bar a lot easier.

As for your squat I see you are using weightlifting shoes and they really helped my depth. Something I see in your squat videos from the meet, is that you slow down when going into the hole. If you dip at the bottom or maintain your speed, it will make hitting depth easier.

Phillip Wylie
03-22-2011, 03:56 PM
By the way in May of 2008 I made the transition from geared lifting in the APF to raw lifting in the USAPL.

vdizenzo
03-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Awesome job. I'm crazy impressed that they passed any of your lifts. They are not usually big fans of x-multiply/frequenters of other feds. I can't wait to see what you do when you hit your stride!

SELK
03-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Nice lifts Scott.

Did you do your training with a DL bar or a standard bar? I find there is around a 30lbs difference and I use a DL style similar to you (mostly back).

BloodandThunder
03-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Great Job Scott. USAPL PA judging is very very tough, but usually consistent.

Looks like a Rob Keller meet, so that was most likely an Eleiko Bar or a Q-bar he borrowed. Both don't flex at ALL lol. You'll see the same bar at Raw Nationals in August so definitely use the stiffest bar you can find in the gym for meet training.

joey54
03-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Proops for going out of the comfort zone and excelling. Good luck with the August meet. I may venture to the USAPL after August.

ScottYard
03-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Nice job on your first USAPL meet, Scott. I think what got you on the deadlift was the lack of a deadlift bar in USAPL meets. I compete raw in the USAPL and recently competed at the Arnold. I am not at your level, but I wanted to share what has helped me on the deadlift. I always pull with a Texas power bar in training and never use a deadlift bar. Also deficit deadlifts helped me a lot. I feel stronger off the floor and it makes pulling without a deadlift bar a lot easier.

As for your squat I see you are using weightlifting shoes and they really helped my depth. Something I see in your squat videos from the meet, is that you slow down when going into the hole. If you dip at the bottom or maintain your speed, it will make hitting depth easier.

I train without a d.l bar. My pull was a result of trying new things and them not working out.

I might try the dip.

Thanks

ScottYard
03-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Nice lifts Scott.

Did you do your training with a DL bar or a standard bar? I find there is around a 30lbs difference and I use a DL style similar to you (mostly back).

I pull with a old stiff york bar

ScottYard
03-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Awesome job. I'm crazy impressed that they passed any of your lifts. They are not usually big fans of x-multiply/frequenters of other feds. I can't wait to see what you do when you hit your stride!

Thanks vin. They guys running the meet seemed very cool.

Brian Hopper
03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Good job Scott , especially for not being in your comfort zone.

chris mason
03-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Called for depth? What is the rule? You looked below parallel at your lowest point with the 650?

ScottYard
03-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Called for depth? What is the rule? You looked below parallel at your lowest point with the 650?

Im actuallt amazed my opener was called good. It was tight. But it was tight for everyone so i cant complain.