PDA

View Full Version : Squat & Deadlift Gear?

shocker4221
03-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Last year I asked a million questions regarding bench shirts and I guess now it's time to ask about gear for squat and DL's. I am wanting to get into a full meet within the next year instead of just bench. The one meet that I know I will compete in only allows single ply gear. I squat wide stance and have done both conventional and sumo in the DL. So what kind of gear should a beginner get into for both? And what are the benefits of briefs, safety or carryover? Thanks for any responses.

C...unit
03-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Single ply, you could get a titan centurian wide stance squatter and also pull sumo with that suit. If I could sumo worth a crap thats what I wld do.

H_M
03-24-2011, 08:35 PM
i liked squatting & pulling in my single ply metal viking

basbolstar
03-25-2011, 06:13 AM
I have a bunch of suits that I am selling. What size are you? Pretty cheap. otherwise they will sit in my closet.

thadb51
03-25-2011, 09:48 AM
I have a bunch of suits that I am selling. What size are you? Pretty cheap. otherwise they will sit in my closet.

I am interested in a dl suit. I weigh in the mid 230's.

basbolstar
03-25-2011, 09:52 AM
I have a Inzer Max DL Size 36?($40) and a Metal King Pro DL with straps. Size 50.$70) Both have been used for 1 meet each.

Let me know. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

BloodandThunder
03-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Get some used gear for cheap or some hand-me-downs to try them out. Titan Super Centurion is the best bet for single-ply if you buy new. Wear it backwards when you pull.

basbolstar
03-25-2011, 11:23 AM
How is the Super for pulling Sumo?? I have a Velocity Sumo.

kingns
03-25-2011, 11:29 AM
I bought a used centurion wide stance, velocity and rage x for my first (and still only) gear. Buying used is a good idea because 1. its cheaper 2. its broken in and easier to use and 3. you dont need new top of the line stuff for you first set of gear anyways. By buying my stuff used I saved a lot of money and still get a ton of support. Im sure using a new tight suit will blow this out of the water but its still a good step into gear.
That being said, titan is clearly the leader in single ply gear, but a rage x is a very good bench shirt too. Whatever you do don't get it too tight.
I also have inzer groove briefs (legless) which seem to help my hips but dont really offer much poundages to my lifts. For close stance squats or conv deads they seem pretty worthless, but if you squat wide or dead sumo I would recommend them. And if your allowed to wear them under your suit (like in the USPF or SPF) why not?

shocker4221
03-26-2011, 09:02 PM

I will have to take measurements and see what size I need. I think I will take everyones advice and get some used gear to start with.

shocker4221
03-26-2011, 09:04 PM
I have read that a lot of people are using their squat suits backwards for DLs. What is the advantage of doing this over getting a DL suit besides the savings? What are the benefits of briefs as well, just added support for the hips?

JK1
03-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I have read that a lot of people are using their squat suits backwards for DLs. What is the advantage of doing this over getting a DL suit besides the savings? What are the benefits of briefs as well, just added support for the hips?

I have that same question, especially with the new suits. The old z-type suits, it provided some stretch across the hips, which pushed the hips forward to help with lockout. The new ones---with the doubled seam "harness" systems on them, it makes no sense at all.

shocker4221
03-29-2011, 04:39 PM

Brian Hopper
03-31-2011, 06:33 PM
My vote is for the Titan Super Centurion. You can use to squat and pull in.

mastermonster
04-01-2011, 10:26 AM
My vote is for the Titan Super Centurion. You can use to squat and pull in.

I agree! Especially if you squat wide and pull sumo. If you DL conventional, I like the Velocity. If your fed lets you wear adjustable straps, definately get them. Well worth it! Good luck!

shocker4221
04-01-2011, 01:15 PM
With the Super Centurion, does it need to be worn backwards for DL or normal?

C...unit
04-01-2011, 04:19 PM

Hmmm, I got a metal ace squater and when I pull sumo I just wear it normal. I wonder why the centurion suite would be any different?

shocker4221
04-01-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure it is, I have just read that some people have worn their squat suits to DL in but they just wore it backwards. I have never lifted in a suit and am trying to get as much info as possible.

J_Byrd
04-02-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm not sure it is, I have just read that some people have worn their squat suits to DL in but they just wore it backwards. I have never lifted in a suit and am trying to get as much info as possible.

I dont think people turn them around anymore. I have not seen anyone do that in a long time. I dont think the new suits work that way. I only have experiance in single ply stuff, but Titan wins hands down. Get a wide stance centurion and, and if you are sumo style you can pull in it also. I love my Titan equipment, I order everything from Ken Anderson. All the guys who train with me order from there also. Depending on your raw strength would determine how tight of equipment I got. Sites like this and youtube are great for learning the basics.

Brian Hopper
04-02-2011, 09:18 AM

I would just wear it normal. This is your first time in a suit, no need to worry about which way to wear it. Learn it, get a feel for it and get some time in the suit, and then maybe try it backwards...just my 2cents.

shocker4221
04-02-2011, 11:00 AM
I would just wear it normal. This is your first time in a suit, no need to worry about which way to wear it. Learn it, get a feel for it and get some time in the suit, and then maybe try it backwards...just my 2cents.

Brian your 2 cents are worth a bit more and i'll take that advice