PDA

View Full Version : is it possiable

Bosshogg300
03-26-2011, 06:55 AM
what are the chances certain powerlifting routines will not work for you, is this in the realm of possibilities because i am having bare minimum results on my bench when i have huge increases in deadlifts and squats and ive changed my approach many times trying every thing i can think of to help increase my bench

AdamBAG
03-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Sure it's possible. In my opinion, the key to a good program is that you believe in it and give 100%. If you doubt that it will work or is working then you might as well change some things (maybe not the entire program) to something you believe in.

Bosshogg300
03-26-2011, 08:29 AM
i believe in it but i just dont know what the deal is i have increased in all other pressing facets but bench my 1 & 2 board has gone up and lockouts which i do low to help with off the chest which is my problem and my close grip has gone up aswell as my db press and shoulder. i feel as if i am the type of lifter who needs to do regular bench more to stay on top of it i dont know if that makes sense or not

AdamBAG
03-27-2011, 06:45 AM
i believe in it but i just dont know what the deal is i have increased in all other pressing facets but bench my 1 & 2 board has gone up and lockouts which i do low to help with off the chest which is my problem and my close grip has gone up aswell as my db press and shoulder. i feel as if i am the type of lifter who needs to do regular bench more to stay on top of it i dont know if that makes sense or not

That makes sense to me. You just need to do more full range work with your normal grip. You can always do this and still use a westside style template (this sounds like what you are doing). You can always bench against bands or chains full range or do reverse bands etc. Not everything in a westside template needs to be partial range (and it shouldn't).

Bosshogg300
03-27-2011, 07:58 AM
I am currently doing one week full range and the next partial, could I just do full range movements for my main lift and do the partial for my supp lifts instead of switching week to week

Sean S
03-27-2011, 11:43 AM
You could even rotate exercises every week and just choose full range variations most of the time. For example you could set a rotation of four exercises with BP, incline BP, overhead press, and floor press. You could then do boards or partials as a heavy second exercise to get some heavy tricep work.

theBarzeen
03-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Everything will work for everybody ....... a little..... maybe..... sometimes......

With that said, it sounds like you just spotted a weak point in your lifting ( full range, or maybe just strength off the chest) so, the routine might be just fine, you just have to adapt it to fit your specific weak points. No routine will ever be ideal right out of the box.

Bosshogg300
03-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Yea I think ill do something like Reg Bench, Bench w/ bands, inclines, and then for supp work do 1&2 boards and close grips also some floor presses

stlpower123
03-27-2011, 04:45 PM
programs where you lift submaximal weights do not work for me

Bosshogg300
03-27-2011, 05:51 PM
yea.. well im still using westside method but doing more full range max work instead of partial for my main lift

ScottYard
03-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Gain 10 lbs. Your bench will move.

theBarzeen
03-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Gain 10 lbs. Your bench will move.

Agreed!