PDA

View Full Version : Flax and Cod Liver Oils

Jane
05-20-2002, 05:44 PM
1. Would using flax and cod liver oils provide sufficient amounts of ALL the essential fatty acids? Would olive oil be a useful addition?

2. What is the proper way to store each and how long do they last?
3. Where can I buy some?

Pup
05-20-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Jane
1. Would using flax and cod liver oils provide sufficient amounts of ALL the essential fatty acids? Would olive oil be a useful addition? *flax has a great deal of the omegas, but i think that olive oil is a great addition, besides, stuff cooked in olive oil tastes quite good*

2. What is the proper way to store each and how long do they last? *flax can be refrigerated, i have no clue about cod liver oil, and olive oil can be stored in the cabinet*

3. Where can I buy some? *just about any health food store would carry flax and cod liver oil, i get mine at *cough* *gnc* *cough*. Olive oil is everywhere. Another thing, make sure you get the oils cold pressed, i heard this is important, not sure why though *shrug*

breeze
05-21-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by just_a_pup

cold press olive oil is when the oil is removed from the olives without heat or chemicals. Usually the olives are pressed in a mechanical vice at room temperature. The oil from this cold press has most of the nutrients. After this phase steam or chemicals are used to remove more of the oil from the olives.

martijn
05-22-2002, 03:23 PM
Flax oil aka lenseed oil must be kept in a dark bottle and must not be exposed to sunlight. If this happens the oil will oxidizes. You can keep this oil for a some weeks and when you at vit. e to it you slow down the oxidize of the oil.

Tiare
05-22-2002, 04:19 PM
I don't like the taste of flax seed oil, but I do like pumpkin oil and it keeps better (has omega 3, omega 6).

Cold pressed AKA extra virgin AKA first press

martijn
05-22-2002, 11:41 PM
pumpkin oil has only 0,2% omega 3, 55% omega 6 and 25% omega 9. For a good balance you should have 40% O-3, 20% O-6 and 20% O-9.
About the taste of flax seed oil, just swallow it! Or put it in your proteinshake:D

Jane
05-23-2002, 04:18 AM
martijn...whats the breakdown for flax oil? and cod liver oil? and olive oil? Thanks! :)

martijn
05-23-2002, 08:13 AM
flax - 54% O-3 16% O-6 21% O-9
olive - I only know it has a high % of omega 9, and what omega 9 does for the body is not really clear.
For info about cod liver oil - http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/Supp/Fish_Oil.htm
I can not find the breakdown of cod liver or olive oil, but flax is a better oil to take than col liver, because of the high % of omega 3.

breeze
05-23-2002, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by martijn
flax - 54% O-3 16% O-6 21% O-9
olive - I only know it has a high % of omega 9, and what omega 9 does for the body is not really clear.
For info about cod liver oil - http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/Supp/Fish_Oil.htm
I can not find the breakdown of cod liver or olive oil, but flax is a better oil to take than col liver, because of the high % of omega 3.

Wrong. Flax oil is not better than cod liver oil. The omega-3 in cod liver oil is in the form of epa and dha. The omega--3 found in Flax seed oil is similar but different that epa found in fish oil. It is unknown if it provides the same benifit as epa in fish oil.

martijn
05-23-2002, 09:28 AM
I was speaking about quantaty not the quality, but it is proven flax works for people with crohn. just like col liver works for them.

breeze
05-23-2002, 09:48 AM
I was speaking about quantaty not the quality, but it is proven flax works for people with crohn. just like col liver works for them.

You are comparing apples and oranges. If the omega-3 are different then it makes no difference if one has more omega-3 than the other.

raniali
05-23-2002, 10:02 AM
I think instead of several oils incorporated into diet, try one - Udo's Choice

http://www.udoerasmus.com/prod1.htm

Best there is - I think.

martijn
05-23-2002, 10:14 AM
The main differents is flax is vegatable and cod liver is a product of an animal.. but omega 3 is omega 3, there is no differents in those omega 3.

breeze
05-23-2002, 10:53 AM
The main differents is flax is vegatable and cod liver is a product of an animal.. but omega 3 is omega 3, there is no differents in those omega 3.

Not true. Here is an excerpt from the Q&A section from a doctor research board.

Q. I am unable to take fish oils, will Flax Seed oil subtitute for the fish oils?
A. Fatty acids in flax seed oil, such as alpha linolenic acid, can be converted into the fatty acids in fish oils, such as epa and dha. However, the conversion is not always efficient. If you can't take fish oils, flax seed oil is a good, but not ideal, alternative

the doc
05-23-2002, 12:50 PM
yea the conversion rate is about 1 %

imo, flax is greatly overrated
Get your omega 3s from fish oil concentrate (you want about 5 g of EPA/DHA per day)

use EV olive oil for the rest of your fat

martijn
05-23-2002, 12:51 PM
What about Fish oils? Some studies suggest that fish oils may be more potent than their vegetarian counterparts like flax, however experts have raised questions concerning the quality of various fish oils that are found in supplements. Many fish are farm raised and eat a diet high in grains, as opposed to their predecessors who ate a diet high in algae, plankton, and other water-based greenery. Therefore, I recommend taking organic flax seed oil.

http://www.healthyskinshop.com/esomandomfat.html

Q&A source:
http://www.raysahelian.com/flaxseed.html

But we can go on for houres with this cat&mouse game. You will fined this fact and I will fined other. Maybe this doctor isn' t wrong, but others will say flax works just as well.

the doc
05-23-2002, 02:30 PM
I recommend not following martijns recommendations :p

Use fish oil concentrate for a more purified form of fish oil
If your really worried about contaminents then purchase ZonePerfect distilled fish oils

Blood&Iron
05-23-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by the doc
yea the conversion rate is about 1 %

imo, flax is greatly overrated

Totally agree.

Get your omega 3s from fish oil concentrate (you want about 5 g of EPA/DHA per day)

Do you have any references for this high a level of supplementation? I've noticed of late a couple of people, Bryan Haycock for one, suggesting a similarly high level, but haven't seen them say why it would be useful other than as a treatment for joint inflammation/arthritis. Admittedly, I haven't looked around, but if you've got the references I'd be great if you could point them out. I'm very lazy.

Most of the studies of which I'm aware have used 6g of fish oil(Supplying somewhere around 2g of n-3) Trying to get 5-6g of n-3 would mean I'd be spending a hell of a lot of money on fish oil. I'd need to take about 20 capsules a day. That or start eating sardines again--which I can't stand at this point.

martijn
05-23-2002, 02:56 PM
pharma Nord is a fish oil used by a man, and he is training for 22 years now. Also he told me to use fish and flax oil, instead of only flax oil. So I recommend what he recommended me.

the doc
05-23-2002, 05:34 PM
B&I i heard a recent interview with Dr. Barry Sears (of the ZOne) and he mentioned that there were several studies which showed no ill effects at up to 20 g of supplementation. He has a new book out which i am sure would reference the actual studies.

RIght now i am taking 8 capsules of fish oil concnetrate to get about 2.5 g of LC O-3s. The pills are from costco and are of high quality and a reasonable price.
Admittedly it is a lot of pills. 5g is the level that barry sears recommended with 2.5 g being the low threshold for benefits

Blood&Iron
05-23-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by the doc
B&I i heard a recent interview with Dr. Barry Sears (of the ZOne) and he mentioned that there were several studies which showed no ill effects at up to 20 g of supplementation. He has a new book out which i am sure would reference the actual studies.

RIght now i am taking 8 capsules of fish oil concnetrate to get about 2.5 g of LC O-3s. The pills are from costco and are of high quality and a reasonable price.
Admittedly it is a lot of pills. 5g is the level that barry sears recommended with 2.5 g being the low threshold for benefits
Yeah, he is one of the people from whom I've heard this recommendation. i actually use the ZonePerfect brand caps and take about 6 a day which is ~2g of n-3. That ends up costing me about $13 for a 20 day supply. He's actually got a new line of products out, and something about his new book at:
www.searslabs.com
The fish oil liquid he's selling is expensive, but it'd be the only way I'd consider supplementing with this high an amount of n-3's. I have to see proof that it's good for something other than treating depression or joint problems though before I did so.

the doc
05-23-2002, 08:41 PM
Right now I use the Fish oil concentrate, which is significantly cheaper, contains the same amount of eicosanoids as sears' mix, is of much higher purity then cod liver oil, and contains vitamin E for preservation (essential). The only thing is that it tastes like fish oil, thus i take it before bed.

And as for the dose, your right I believe 5 g was for alleviation of joint probs.

the doc
05-23-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Jane
1. Would using flax and cod liver oils provide sufficient amounts of ALL the essential fatty acids? Would olive oil be a useful addition?

2. What is the proper way to store each and how long do they last?
3. Where can I buy some?

1) Yes it would. However, Instead of flax i would use extra virgin olive oil as a main source and supplement flax and fish oil

2) Buy Fish oil concentrate or molecularly-distilled fish oil
I buy the former because of price. These are the two highest purity you can obtain ( with distilled being the highest). THE OIL SHOULD ALSO CONTAIN VITAMIN E (alpha-tocopherol) TO PRESERVE THE OMEGA 3S

3) Costco has a good deal on 1000 pills