PDA

View Full Version : Some quick WS bench questions (exercises)

gazh1983
03-28-2011, 03:44 PM
1. Can you do a JM press as a ME exercise (with or without bands etc)

2. As a raw lifter I have to work on shoulders and pecs, other than the standard barbell and dumbell pressing what other options have good carryover, I heard about pin presses from the chin? Standing military?

3. I keep reading you should do 3-5 reps at 90% or above (goes for squats/deads as well) am I right in thinking you do 1. at 90% 2. at slightly above your last PR then 3. at an attempted higher one again?

barryisawinnah
03-28-2011, 04:04 PM
I think I read that they sometimes work up to a 3 rep max on JMs, could be wrong though

Sean S
03-28-2011, 04:18 PM
1. I personally wouldn't to JM's as an ME exercise (too awkward and too big an injury risk in my opinion). Use it as an assistance move.
2. I found both standing military presses with a barbell and standing overhead presses with DB's had decent carryover to my raw bench. I've heard others who didn't have as a good a carryover with these movements. You will probably just have to try it and see how you respond.
3. Work up to your top set on ME day. Then based on what you got, see how many reps you got in above 90% with your ramping up sets and final set. If you are short of 3-5 total reps, simply take the weight back down to 90% or so and do a couple doubles or singles to get at least 3-5 total at or above 90%. That way you don't have to worry about this stuff with your sets on the way up. Just evaluate once you hit your top set and see if you need to take a down set or not.

vdizenzo
03-28-2011, 04:20 PM
1. I would not consider a JM press to be an ME exercise. I find it a supplemental movement.

2. Westside the way it is really works very well for raw benching. Travis Bell has an excellent raw bench. Guys like George Halbert and Kenny Patterson had awesome raw benches as well. I am sure there are many more, those were just the first to come to mind.

3. I think the point is that you have to add weight slowly and get your work in. I don't think you have to hold that rule steadfast. I think it's just to dissuade lifters from taking it easy on the way up to the max single.

I don't train at Westside, but I have done a lot of conjugate training. These are just my opinions.

gazh1983
03-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Cool thanks guys.

Dave Tate said to work up in sets of 3's "till it feels heavy" then start hitting singles. Louie seems to say different, at least online so I agree it is probably pretty subjective as long as the early volume is there so to speak.

byronsru24
03-28-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't train at Westside, but I have done a lot of conjugate training. These are just my opinions.

And your raw bench is very impressive Vincent, so that should certainly make your opinion more valid then most.

MarcusWild
03-28-2011, 10:32 PM
And your raw bench is very impressive Vincent, so that should certainly make your opinion more valid then most.

Exactly. He is way to modest. He's benched 600 raw in 2 weight classes. Listen to what he has to say about benching and read his log. Travis has a log here too. You can't go wrong with paying attention to what they do.

NickAus
03-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Im not a huge bencher like some others here but I would NOT use it for max effort.

Learning2Lift
03-28-2011, 11:18 PM
I could be wrong but I think I remember Travis doing these at WS to pins for a ME movement. I forget why he said they did it though.

gazh1983
03-29-2011, 06:36 AM
Exactly. He is way to modest. He's benched 600 raw in 2 weight classes. Listen to what he has to say about benching and read his log. Travis has a log here too. You can't go wrong with paying attention to what they do.

Will do, I appreciate the help here thanks!