PDA

View Full Version : Grits and Oatmeal

AllNatural
05-20-2002, 07:23 PM
When is a good time to eat either? Which is better? How does it relate to bodybuilding etc?

Grits taste awful but is it bad to eat at night or what?

Bullrider Billy
05-21-2002, 07:41 AM
They are carbohydrate sources. Oatmeal is probably better than grits because it is less processed than grits. Eat them anytime you need a carb source.

Personally I like grits with runny eggs and shredded cheese.

Relentless
05-21-2002, 08:51 AM
Up here in Canada, we call grits 'Cream of Wheat'.

Anyway, IMHO oatmeal is always better than wheat -- but I'm not a big fan of wheat.

There's also degrees of processing and quality for oatmeal. "instant' oatmeal and/or Quick Rolled Oats are processed a bit... I think the best kind is the non-rolled 'steel cut' irish-style oatmeal. Takes a while to cook, but great fibre!!

Bullrider Billy
05-21-2002, 11:11 AM
Cream of Wheat is different, especially the brand name product. Cream of Wheat is wheat, grits is corn. Same thing as hominy. The corn is soaked in a lye solution, dried and ground.

Relentless
05-21-2002, 12:25 PM
Ah, my bad. Looked similar, so I assumed.

Hm.

I think oats are better than corn, too though. :D

Behemoth
05-21-2002, 01:05 PM
So is Cream of Wheat bad? Man I love that stuff

Relentless
05-21-2002, 01:12 PM
I don't think it's BAD, per se.

Check on the stats re: protein/carb/fat and I think it's a decent lowfat carb source.

But I just don't like wheat, for a variety of reasons. if you love it, and it works for you, I say go for it. It not like you're eating Frosted Flakes or something.

Bullrider Billy
05-21-2002, 02:19 PM
Cream of Wheat is good. A gift from God. :)

IceRgrrl
05-21-2002, 02:58 PM
Oatmeal is good, Cream of Wheat is good...now grits are just plain nasty...bleh.

;)