PDA

View Full Version : Quick Juggernaut question...

Clone
03-31-2011, 05:01 AM
Looking for a new cycle to do and like the looks of Juggernaut.

My only concern is that I won't be working with heavy weights (90% of 1RM) for almost 4 months, in the last week.

Even though I'll be building up a good base in the earlier weeks, I'm worried the heavy weights may feel foreign in the later weeks. 4 months is a pretty long time to not hit over 90% in my opinion.

Any thoughts on this?

gmen5681
03-31-2011, 06:03 AM
currently doing juggernaut method, you can see my log in my signature as well as the spreadsheets for the program. i am personally loving it. yeah you arent hitting over 90% but you are struggling especially with the last set of AMAP. it is a long cycle, but i feel like it will be benificial in the long run with a great base. also look at the CWS did after he finished the cycle in his first meet. 800 raw squat is pretty damn impressive. if you look at his website all of his athletes have great success with it. i personally feel its one of the best beginner programs out there, because it does build a great base.

KoSh
03-31-2011, 06:47 AM
If you think that just because you're not over 90% its not difficult, you got another thing coming.

Welcome to Juggernaut, the system that changed the way I train.

ScottYard
03-31-2011, 08:06 AM
I only go over 90% 2-3 times per year. Leave the heavy stuff for the platform.

IronDiggy
03-31-2011, 08:17 AM
I've been running Juggernaut and just finishing the 8's. I have found the odd day I do board work that for bench my body isn't accustomed to having the weight in my hands so you might want to keep up with your board work. But after deadlifts last night I pulled 98% of my starting 1rm with ease. So I wouldn't worry too much about not getting used to heavy weights again. I'm going to try a couple heavy singles squats on Saturday and see how that feels. Based on my progression however, it looks like by the time I make it to 3's I could very well be doing triples at my starting 1rm.

joey54
03-31-2011, 11:20 AM

Everyone listen to what the elite lifter in the discussion has to say. Best advice one can probably get for sustained raw lifting progress.

JK1
03-31-2011, 01:40 PM

Sott, how are you doing that and making consistent gains?

I've always taken the approach that you must push the body to get it stronger. staying below 90% most of the time seems counterintuitive.

Clone
03-31-2011, 05:16 PM
If you think that just because you're not over 90% its not difficult, you got another thing coming.

Welcome to Juggernaut, the system that changed the way I train.

Where did I say it wasn't difficult?

Clone
03-31-2011, 05:19 PM
I've been running Juggernaut and just finishing the 8's. I have found the odd day I do board work that for bench my body isn't accustomed to having the weight in my hands so you might want to keep up with your board work. But after deadlifts last night I pulled 98% of my starting 1rm with ease. So I wouldn't worry too much about not getting used to heavy weights again. I'm going to try a couple heavy singles squats on Saturday and see how that feels. Based on my progression however, it looks like by the time I make it to 3's I could very well be doing triples at my starting 1rm.

Good stuff. That was my concern.

Glad to hear its working for you.

Clone
03-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Everyone listen to what the elite lifter in the discussion has to say. Best advice one can probably get for sustained raw lifting progress.

Very interesting.

Sounds like I'm going too heavy too often.

joey54
03-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Very interesting.

Sounds like I'm going too heavy too often.

Well, guessing you are an unequipped lifter based on choosing this type of programing. What are your lifts like right now?

joey54
03-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Sott, how are you doing that and making consistent gains?

I've always taken the approach that you must push the body to get it stronger. staying below 90% most of the time seems counterintuitive.

You are an equipped lifter, so it might change things a bit. There are different ways to skin a cat.

JK1
04-01-2011, 01:01 PM
You are an equipped lifter, so it might change things a bit. There are different ways to skin a cat.

I agree, that is why I asked the question.

For me, it is almost as if I have the physical strength, but I have to get my brain wrapped around being able to lift the weight before I can do it. This goes back to the days I competed raw too.

Basically, the way I've best been able to convince myself is to load the bar up and keep putting plates on it until it doesn't move anymore (or I'm really straining, depending on where I am in met prep). Then maybe try on more time if I feel good.

I can't help but wonder if maybe I'm missing something if Scott is putting up the numbers he is and only going over 90% a few times a year.

IronDiggy
04-01-2011, 03:25 PM
I agree, that is why I asked the question.

For me, it is almost as if I have the physical strength, but I have to get my brain wrapped around being able to lift the weight before I can do it. This goes back to the days I competed raw too.

Basically, the way I've best been able to convince myself is to load the bar up and keep putting plates on it until it doesn't move anymore (or I'm really straining, depending on where I am in met prep). Then maybe try on more time if I feel good.

I can't help but wonder if maybe I'm missing something if Scott is putting up the numbers he is and only going over 90% a few times a year.

Such is the joy of band and chain pressing\squats\pulls and board presses. You can keep your body prepped for the heavy weights with that stuff and not go over 90% of that particular movments 1rm.

JK1
04-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Such is the joy of band and chain pressing\squats\pulls and board presses. You can keep your body prepped for the heavy weights with that stuff and not go over 90% of that particular movments 1rm.

That doesn't make sense to me.

I routinely cycle chains and bands into my training. My goal on ME days is to break my previous PR for an exercise with a given weight not counting the accomodating resistance and on DE days is to move the bar as fast with the accomodating resistance as I do without it. In my mind, on the ME days because I'm striving to break PR's, than I'm working at 100% and no matter what am working at well over 90% if you consider the overload. A 900 lb squat with straight weight is not a 900 lb squat with 200 lbs of chain or 2 blue bands. Although the bar weight may be the same. My goal on ME days with the chain isn't to do 900, it's to do 910... or more. The same with the bands (which I don't use as much on ME days). Its not get 900 and 2 blue bands, its get 910 and 2 blue bands and with both to work until I'm straining hard.

To me the overload is what prepares the brain for the heavy work ahead on the platform. The last thing I want to do is take a squat from the monolift, receive my handoff, or pull a bar off the floor and think "oh shit, this is heavy". That'll guarantee the lift is way harder than it should be. And I want to move the bar fast. A fast squat up is a strong squat, the same as a fast bench and a fast pull.

Also, I apologize for somewhat hijacking this thread and diverging from the original question. I am really wondering if I'm missing something or just being dense and not understanding what I'm reading.

Clone
04-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Well, guessing you are an unequipped lifter based on choosing this type of programing. What are your lifts like right now?

Sorry, do you mean what does my program look like? Or what are my numbers?

joey54
04-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Sorry, do you mean what does my program look like? Or what are my numbers?

I'm not familiar with you on the board here, so was wondering how much you currently squat, bench, and deadlift. It may be out of my realm to even offer advice to you.

Clone
04-01-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm not familiar with you on the board here, so was wondering how much you currently squat, bench, and deadlift. It may be out of my realm to even offer advice to you.

I mainly keep my mouth shut and try to learn. :)

Squat 375
Bench 285
Dead 475

all @ 180

hulk242
04-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I will say this....the best training program is the one that you believe in. So, if you feel you need some heavier wts from time to time, incorporate it.

joey54
04-02-2011, 07:29 AM
I mainly keep my mouth shut and try to learn. :)

Squat 375
Bench 285
Dead 475

all @ 180

Juggernaut would be a good choice. You could also lowball your numbers and run 5x5 for a few months, and probably wind up way past those numbers. Just need to be patient. Adam makes a good suggestion too. If you truly feel the need to work with heavy weights on a consistent basis, conjugate/Westside training is something to consider.

Clone
04-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Juggernaut would be a good choice. You could also lowball your numbers and run 5x5 for a few months, and probably wind up way past those numbers. Just need to be patient. Adam makes a good suggestion too. If you truly feel the need to work with heavy weights on a consistent basis, conjugate/Westside training is something to consider.

Looks like I'll give juggernaut a try.

Its mainly on bench that I feel like I need to work with heavy weights frequently. Otherwise it feels like I'm going to be crushed.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.