PDA

View Full Version : meet day questions

J_Byrd
03-31-2011, 01:01 PM
How do you guys determine your openning attempts? Do you do everything by feel after that? How much strength do you feel like you lose during the day?

Tom Mutaffis
03-31-2011, 01:22 PM
How do you guys determine your openning attempts? Do you do everything by feel after that? How much strength do you feel like you lose during the day?

I would open with a weight that you can usually do for a triple in training, then decide how big of a jump you want to make from there based on how the opener feels.

JK1
03-31-2011, 01:36 PM

For me its pretty simple.
Opener= something I've done repeatedly in training, something I know I can get. usually its about 88-90% of whatever my meet goal weight is... give or take a bit.
2nd attempt= 5-10 lb increase from previous meet PR
3rd attempt= go crazy. this may be a 50-65 lb jump if I'm feeling really good, it may only be 20 lbs from the second attempt if I'm off... or it may be the 2nd attempt again if something goes wrong.

That system has worked in consistent meet and individual lift PR's and only 1 bomb in the last 4 years. It also leads to some big meet PR's.

ct67_72
03-31-2011, 03:29 PM
I was goint o reply exactly what the previous 2 posters had. if you are new to meets, something you can triple is a great guideline. as you get some experience you can judge a little better. i think something I have done in training that I know I can get is where I can start, it may be something I can only double, but if I have never missed it and have taken it enough times, I feel comfortable opening there.

SELK
03-31-2011, 03:52 PM
I open pretty heavy.. I usually open with 95% of my best squat and my best 1 board bench. I find I am much stronger on meet day and ive never bombed.

C...unit
03-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I wouldnt go based on warm ups on meet day. Meet I just did everytyhing felt heavy warm ups and I dropped my sq opener by like 40 lbs cause I siked myself out. (On the platform same weight was light as shit cause I was amped up) I ended up getting what I wanted on the third pretty easy. I missed out on a good 30-40lbs because of the whole deal. Go off 85-90% what you can do in the gym. What I did also was 2wks out or so work up and take your openers on everything dont go any heavier but just hitting those openers can build alot of confidence

theBarzeen
03-31-2011, 05:05 PM
I agree with the above posters here.... especially C unit....

I'd just add to pick a weight that you are 100% confident you can get down with ( or touch with in the bench press) that you are so confident with you know that you will get it even if something goes wrong. Even with a bad set up, even with your straps not set right, even with a bad hand off on the bench..... you own the weight.

Making those openers is a great confidence builder, especially if you are new to this..... then jump up for your second.

Brian Hopper
03-31-2011, 05:46 PM
My openers are always something that I know I can get and I'm 100% confident with. I don't usually have a % to go by or a rep range. It's just a number I know I can get under and hit with no problems. My 2nd and 3rd attempts are always by feel and how well I executed my first attempt. I do go into a meet with a number in mind and I usually will shoot for that on my third. Just remember to protect your total.

j robinson
04-01-2011, 09:23 AM
For me its pretty simple.
Opener= something I've done repeatedly in training, something I know I can get. usually its about 88-90% of whatever my meet goal weight is... give or take a bit.
2nd attempt= 5-10 lb increase from previous meet PR
3rd attempt= go crazy. this may be a 50-65 lb jump if I'm feeling really good, it may only be 20 lbs from the second attempt if I'm off... or it may be the 2nd attempt again if something goes wrong.

That system has worked in consistent meet and individual lift PR's and only 1 bomb in the last 4 years. It also leads to some big meet PR's.

This is very similar to how I go about it. It gets you a solid number and then let's you go for 2 attempts at a PR.

ScottYard
04-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I open very light. Something i can do 5 times or so. Then i go for a 5 lb pr. Then based on that its all feel.

Ermantroudt
04-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Opener-about 10% less than a 5lb PR
Second attempt: 5lb PR-this is after all why we compete-to make official PR's
Third attempt: Break out and ammonia and let loose the Dogs of War!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarcusWild
04-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I agree on going light on openers. Most of us take what our best gym lift was for seconds. It'll be easier at the meet if you peak right. That'll be a PR for some people. If it's not a PR, then you pick a PR based on feel for your 3rd.

robchris
04-02-2011, 09:49 PM
I would open with a weight that you can usually do for a triple in training, then decide how big of a jump you want to make from there based on how the opener feels.

Agreed... open w something you triple in training,
2nd go for your current max, 3rd go crazy... leave it all on the platform bro!!!

Good luck,
Rob ;)

kingns
04-03-2011, 02:38 AM
agree with what everyone said especially regarding second and third attempts

First should really be a weight you can hit under the worst conditions. Im going to open this next week on squats and bench with a weights I tripled, on two different occasions this training cycle, and on deads what I have doubled on two ocassions for reference.

Big_Byrd52
04-03-2011, 04:24 PM
open light and get in the meet. All whites on the first lift gives u confidence to be more aggressive with ur other attempts. Its not a fun feeling to miss ur opener and be worried ur gonna bomb and blow ur whole meet. Like others said, opener should be something u can hit 3-5 reps with, then plan accordingly. geared lift i would take about 90% of my most recent best gym lift since i did not do any reps in gear.

LanceGoyke
04-07-2011, 09:34 PM
I like to go in with a set opener (3RM weight for me), then a range for the next two depending on how I'm feeling. It's not set in stone, but it helps keep you organized in the crazy meet environment to make sure you're not going way too light/heavy.