PDA

View Full Version : fat vs muscle gains

creatiive
03-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi,

My diet has been reasonably clean (with some exceptions... like the occasional Mexican chicken instead of plain chicken choice !) and im taking in about 2800-3000 calories a day, with about 140g of protein.

Ive kept a log of my weight since i started 2 months ago, which ive put below, but my question is... to me, it feels as if i now have a thin layer of fat over my upper body, and a little bit around my gut and sides. I dont remember having this before and im wondering if im doing something wrong? I could guess that maybe half my weight gain is fat !? I can see i am a little bit more muscular, but i can see fat as well! In comparison, ive upped my weights everywhere, but only a little. For example my barbell bench press has gone from 55kgs (inc 20kg bar) to 62.5kg. Pullups gone from 5 to 10.

week 1. 75.5kgs.
week 2. 75.9kgs.
week 3. 76.1kgs.
week 4. 76.8kgs.
week 5. 77.1kgs.
week 6. 77.9kgs.
week 7. 78.1kgs.
week 8. 78.5kgs.

Sorry if this info is unnecessary, but i just wanted to highlight exactly how much ive been gaining each week. I do NOT want to keep this up for another few months and find im covered in fat with minor muscle gain!!

Thanks for any info!

Off Road
03-31-2011, 04:01 PM
You've gained less than 7 lbs, and now you are worried about being fat?
I think you are probably over-reacting a bit if 7 lbs is throwing you over the edge.
Your weight gain seems reasonable to me. Keep progressive with the training.

chevelle2291
03-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi,

My diet has been reasonably clean (with some exceptions... like the occasional Mexican chicken instead of plain chicken choice !) and im taking in about 2800-3000 calories a day, with about 140g of protein.

Ive kept a log of my weight since i started 2 months ago, which ive put below, but my question is... to me, it feels as if i now have a thin layer of fat over my upper body, and a little bit around my gut and sides. I dont remember having this before and im wondering if im doing something wrong? I could guess that maybe half my weight gain is fat !? I can see i am a little bit more muscular, but i can see fat as well! In comparison, ive upped my weights everywhere, but only a little. For example my barbell bench press has gone from 55kgs (inc 20kg bar) to 62.5kg. Pullups gone from 5 to 10.

week 1. 75.5kgs.
week 2. 75.9kgs.
week 3. 76.1kgs.
week 4. 76.8kgs.
week 5. 77.1kgs.
week 6. 77.9kgs.
week 7. 78.1kgs.
week 8. 78.5kgs.

Sorry if this info is unnecessary, but i just wanted to highlight exactly how much ive been gaining each week. I do NOT want to keep this up for another few months and find im covered in fat with minor muscle gain!!

Thanks for any info!

I would bump up the protein to 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, preferably 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight.

Dan Fanelli
03-31-2011, 04:32 PM
The reality of it is you could have made these performance gains with ZERO muscle gain. But also, just eating in a caloric surplus without even training will result in muscular gains.

You need to think more long term. Give it 5-10 years of hard work. Get your bench up to 150kg and get to where you can do 15 pullups with 20kg added. Do that and take care of your nutrition along the way and you shouldn't have any complaints.

A lot of the details are going to depend on how big you are trying to get, and how lean you want to get. If you are shooting for only 90kg for example, just go ahead and build to that weight at the rate you are now. Then you can tweak things later on and let the exercise take care of your body fat.

But if you are shooting for something like 110kg then you might want to slow down a bit and let your strength catch up. Then start gaining weight as needed to get stronger and bigger.

But as Off Road pointed out, I think 7 lbs is an awefully small amount to start worrying about fat gain at your stage. Its more than likely just some bloat from holding more water.

JJD975
03-31-2011, 04:43 PM
I would bump up the protein to 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, preferably 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight.

Agreed. You weigh what in lbs.? 175 or so? 140 grams protein is low.

bradley
03-31-2011, 05:40 PM
If in a caloric surplus 140g of protein should be adequate, and 1.5 g per lb. of bw is excessive. It wouldn't hurt anything but I do not belive it is necessary.

creatiive
04-01-2011, 10:48 AM
thanks for the info ! my target weight is about 90-95kg. Im not too concerned about how fast it happens - its taken me months of force feeding myself just to get to the stage where i can eat enough to put weight on consistantly - i think i had a very small stomach, as i never ate much food at all.

Tuna has been a big part of my diet as its so full of protein and so easy to have with things. But i just read all this stuff about not having more than one can a WEEK (!?) due to mercury ?? Does anyone else limit their tuna / big fish intake? Cutting this out will make it much harder to have varied meals :-)

RichMcGuire
04-01-2011, 12:40 PM
thanks for the info ! my target weight is about 90-95kg. Im not too concerned about how fast it happens - its taken me months of force feeding myself just to get to the stage where i can eat enough to put weight on consistantly - i think i had a very small stomach, as i never ate much food at all.

Tuna has been a big part of my diet as its so full of protein and so easy to have with things. But i just read all this stuff about not having more than one can a WEEK (!?) due to mercury ?? Does anyone else limit their tuna / big fish intake? Cutting this out will make it much harder to have varied meals :-)

Do you mix your can of tuna with anything like mayo? Most cans only have like 200 kcals in them. I havent read anything about the mercury..but only 1 can a week seems like bs to me. Some people / cultures live off that stuff and dont have any problems.

Alex.V
04-01-2011, 12:43 PM
For most people, half a kilo of muscle a month would be a realistic, if difficult goal, all else being perfect.

So yes, most of what you have gained is fat.

Behemoth
04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
What bradley and belial said should both be reiterated. I fully agree with both of their posts.

creatiive
04-01-2011, 05:58 PM
For most people, half a kilo of muscle a month would be a realistic, if difficult goal, all else being perfect.

So yes, most of what you have gained is fat.

So am i doing anything wrong? Or is this fat gain unavoidable?

In regard to the mercury;

http://www.gotmercury.org/article.php?list=type&type=75

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/tuna.asp - EPA recommendation!

Dan Fanelli
04-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Not necessarily. Some of it will also just be an initial gain in water/glycogen. This could easily have been half of the weight. As for the mercury in Tuna, I seem to remember the type of tuna being very important for how much mercury is in it. Canned tuna uses the larger fish that have more mercury. I'd probably limit it to 1 can a week and find some other sources. Also, tuna doesn't really have many calories.

JT111
04-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Looks good!