PDA

View Full Version : Frequent protein shakes; how high have you gone?

Dan Fanelli
04-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Im switching some things up with my diet, and in an effort to get more protein am thinking of doing three 48g whey shakes per day. I typically take in 50-75g per day, so this is about double.

How high have you guys gone on # of servings per day? And what do you typically do?

jtteg_x
04-02-2011, 09:11 PM
i take 1 scoop whey as soon as i wake up everyday. on training days, i take 2 scoops (which is 44-46g + whatever protein count the milk has) PWO. addition to days i train, i take 1 scoop casein protein prior to bed. im quite conservative as i dont like spending money on supplements (= $$$).

Behemoth
04-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Um... probably 200-300g worth. I use shake constantly, it's not whole food so I pretty much catabolize:rolleyes:

Dan Fanelli
04-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Um... probably 200-300g worth. I use shake constantly, it's not whole food so I pretty much catabolize:rolleyes:

Is this sarcasm?

Behemoth
04-03-2011, 11:06 AM
No, it's not uncommon for me to have 3/4 of my protein come from shakes in a day.

Yes, I was being sarcastic about the catabolizing.

cphafner
04-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm with Behemoth. I use as much as I need to get my calories (and protein total) consumer. I'm a fulltime employee and part-time grad student. I have some 17 hour days. That can mean 6-7 protein shakes in one day with 1-2 whole food meals. Is it ideal, not in my opinion, but do what you gotta do.

GazzyG
04-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I'll echo the other two. I get a lot of my protein from shakes. If I had the money to cook chicken breasts all the time, I'd do that. As it is, shakes are quite cost effective for pure protein without loads of extra fat etc found in burgers and other cheap foods.

Kiff
04-03-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm with Behemoth. I use as much as I need to get my calories (and protein total) consumer. I'm a fulltime employee and part-time grad student. I have some 17 hour days. That can mean 6-7 protein shakes in one day with 1-2 whole food meals. Is it ideal, not in my opinion, but do what you gotta do.

This for me too, i work 13 hour days and study as an under grad. If it has to be 5 shakes a day it has to be. Rather that than not getting my protein.

Sure a chicken breast would be best but i am not allowed to eat at work due to lab conditions but i can drink.. .so guess what i have :indian:

Behemoth
04-03-2011, 01:05 PM
The stigma of shakes being sub-par is comical, yet prevalent. Top level guys often damn near live off of them, that says enough right there.

Dan Fanelli
04-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Alright guys, thanks for the responses. I'll give three 50g shakes a day a try. Im thinking this will allow me to get in more protein obviously, but will also act as a slight calorie reduction.

Thanks again everyone.

Behemoth
04-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Calorie reduction how? You mean by way of using the shakes to displace other protein sources that contain more fat/carbs?

Mercuryblade
04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
I get about 75-100g of protein a day from shakes.
1 scoop, then some water. Way easier and cheaper than cooking anything, plus the macros from shakes are so clean it gives me a lot of leeway for the rest of my diet.

GazzyG
04-04-2011, 10:10 AM
....by way of using the shakes to displace other protein sources that contain more fat/carbs?

....plus the macros from shakes are so clean it gives me a lot of leeway for the rest of my diet.

This is one of the things I love about my shakes.

Off Road
04-04-2011, 10:27 AM
100g a day for me...all from Nitrean.

Time+Patience
04-04-2011, 12:41 PM
There are some people that believe that taking in your calories via whole foods is better than shakes. A person isn't wrong for taking in a high number of shakes, if I recall Bigchaseychase took in almost all of his meals via a shake and some type of carbohydrate and he seemed to progress quite well, even while using.

Personally, eatting whole meals can be more satisfying for ones appetite. That debate is also subjective to the particular person, so it can't be set in stone.

When dieting down and watching calories a whole meal is my first choice, as it keeps my hunger at bay for a longer period of time, while shakes don't accomplish the goal of satisfying my appetite. Staying away from long periods of hunger is a big issue when trying to watch calories.

When you are taking in larger amounts of calories I don't believe it's a big issue, but when the calories get limited, and I mean very limited, I think it can cause some issues with satiety, but again it's all individual.

For me, give me the whole meals, and limit the shakes. I usually don't go over 2 shakes and that's when I have a post workout shake. An off day would have me taking just 1 shake if that even. When dieting down I try to limit it to 2 scoops a day, it might 2 small shakes or a larger post workout shake.

Dan Fanelli
04-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Calorie reduction how? You mean by way of using the shakes to displace other protein sources that contain more fat/carbs?

Ya. I used a lot of beef, milk, eggs, and cheese to put on weight. You know I dont count calories, but intstead go by hunger and recovery. All of the sources that helped me gain weight were there because they were calorie dense and I could eat a lot of them. Now, by replacing at least a portion of that with whey protein, i figure i'll be able to achieve a very gradual weight/fat loss.

And it just seems easier.

KIBBLES N BITS
04-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I haven't a protein shake in over three months....To me they don't even come close to whole foods in terms of hunger satisfaction. I cook 10-15 pounds of chicken each Saturday and just weigh it out, and throw it in tupperware if I know I won't have access to food for awhile.

***I'm not saying protein shakes are bad so please don't take it that way, even though I'm sure some will. It's just my personal preference.

Anyway, when I was on my bulk this past fall, I'd always have 2 scoops of protein (Nitrean at the time) mixed with water immediately after my lift.

f=ma
04-04-2011, 05:01 PM
between shakes and whole food, i would vastly prefer whole food. more psychologically satiating, if nothing else

Off Road
04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I like to mix shakes and whole food. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

JJD975
04-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Personally, eatting whole meals can be more satisfying for ones appetite. That debate is also subjective to the particular person, so it can't be set in stone. .

Food does it for my hunger more but the shakes are so easy to make and get what I need so I take in a good 100 grams a day from shakes.

Like someone mentioned I too cook up about 6-7 chicken breast at the start of the week and eat those through the week.

Mark!
04-04-2011, 06:26 PM
I like to mix shakes and whole food. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Yeah, I'll throw beef in the mixer too sometimes when I'm feeling ballsy. (kidding...)

For me it's a combination of the two. I enjoy my chicken and cow as much as any other guy, but when on the run, not feeling like cooking, or anything else comes up, I don't hesitate at all to grab my shaker cup and 2 scoops + milk and out the door. Especially on call outs when I can't get to food, or when I get called in, it's really easy to grab and go. Even better when I get proactive and portion out 2 scoops in baggies and have a pint of milk handy, just grab and go. I've always got a shaker cup or 6 in my truck or car anyway.

Majik
04-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm in the same boat as most here. Three shakes a day at about 50g a shake. From the looks of it, none of us have died yet.

Mercuryblade
04-06-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm in the same boat as most here. Three shakes a day at about 50g a shake. From the looks of it, none of us have died yet.

Ah but this is not medically sound reasoning.
Most of the stuff that is detrimental to ones health isn't a 1:1 risk factor, and often times poor habits don't show up until later in life.

Auzzie
04-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I'd be more interested in knowing how much whey protein can be utilized by the body in one go?? ... I'd hate to be feeling bloated and forcing in all these feedings without getting the full advantage of all this protein!!!

Dan Fanelli
04-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I'd be more interested in knowing how much whey protein can be utilized by the body in one go?? ... I'd hate to be feeling bloated and forcing in all these feedings without getting the full advantage of all this protein!!!

I think this is an old myth. The daily amount will be more important than anything. Of course, taking in 150g of protein all at once and then none for the rest of the day wouldn't be too smart.

Clone
04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
I must say I'm surprised at how many seem to rely more on shakes vs whole food.

By no means saying thats good or bad. Just interesting.

krazylarry
04-06-2011, 06:47 PM
3 a day right now.

Cards
04-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't think I've used a protein shakes in over 2 years, I love eating whole foods.

NITF
04-14-2011, 11:35 AM

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

this article settles things pretty well...