PDA

View Full Version : scrawny guy 107lbs 5'10

Agrippa r
04-03-2011, 04:54 AM
my target is to gain 52lbs in next 52 weeks 1year. i've got a really tiny face because i am emaciated. if i work out my neck, will that add mass to my face? im starting stronglifts5x5 program. i want my face to fill out as i look sick right now. and also as a beginner should i gain 1lb or more per week? starting diet 2700kcal 30% protein 30%fat 40% carbs. thanks

creatiive
04-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Hey,

Im also a beginner (started 2 months ago) so i can only give you a little info. I have about the same cals per day and percentages. 8 weeks in i have gained almost 8 lbs, so 1lb a week is what im seeing and have been told its a realistic amount... you can probably get it a bit higher but apparently you can only grow about 0.5kgs of muscle a month.. so it seems if your gaining 3lbs a week then most of it will be fat.

Id say try and get a consistant 1lb a week as a first step? You need the fat though by the sounds of it. So i wouldnt worry and just go for it - i found getting a consistant base of steady increase works well and gets you into a routine.

colinS3
04-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Hey man, welcome to the site!

If you want to seriously gain weight you need to eat a surplus of calories, so as long as your 2700kcal is greater than your maintenance level you'll gain weight. You may need to increase it to 3000 or more if you're gaining too slowly because us skinny guys burn calories pretty fast. Just how things are for us haha.
*** Your maintenance level is the amount of calories your body burns in a single day - it is essentially the amount of calories you can eat without gaining or losing weight. You may need to experiment a little bit to find it out for your body (everyone is different) but as long as you record your calories it's pretty easy. You could also just go by gut instinct to decide whether you're eating a surplus or not if you have a pretty good idea of everything.

You should be eating much more protein though, 30% seems a little low for muscle gains. Try to start out eating around 1g of protein for every pound you weigh. So you should start out eating 107g of protein every day to get a good amount of protein into your system. Eventually you may want to increase it to 1.5g of protein for every pound you weigh, but for now start with 1g.

52 pounds of muscle is impossible for one year's worth of training, even if it is your first year, but 52 pounds of muscle AND fat is definitely possible. That's something you'll probably have to accept (you'll probably get a little bit of fat during this bulk you're trying to pull off). However, since you're so small already, it won't look like much at all once you get the muscle to go with it. Plus, to maximize your muscular gains the small layer of fat over your body helps it out a lot. Then when you're done bulking you can cut down to a comfortable weight and you'll look very defined (as long as you actually had muscular gains). Keep in mind that gaining over 20 pounds of muscle in one year is extremely difficult, so don't be surprised if you gain less than that in a year. At best you'll probably gain 20-25 pounds of muscle and the rest is probably going to be fat. The good news is that since you're a pure beginner you'll be able to gain muscle incredibly easy. Your first 6-18 months of lifting are gonna be awesome because muscle is just going to be built like crazy during that time.

One last thing, how old are you? Middle School or High School? Being 107 pounds at 5'10 is pretty small for that height. I was a pretty skinny guy my Sophomore year in High School (I still am actually, just a little more muscle) and I was at 125-130 pounds at 5'10.

Edit: Another great program for the pure beginner is Starting Strength. If you buy the book and read the whole thing you'll know all that you need to know about the form for your lifts, which is a lot more than the average lifter knows. The program itself is probably the best way for a beginner to gain muscle, and it's very similar to the Stronglift 5x5.

RichMcGuire
04-04-2011, 07:46 PM
my target is to gain 52lbs in next 52 weeks 1year. i've got a really tiny face because i am emaciated. if i work out my neck, will that add mass to my face? im starting stronglifts5x5 program. i want my face to fill out as i look sick right now. and also as a beginner should i gain 1lb or more per week? starting diet 2700kcal 30% protein 30%fat 40% carbs. thanks

1lb per week is about right. I think your focus should just be on mass Calories. 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight really isn't needed when you're in a caloric surplus. 1g may not even be needed truth be told. Don't get me wrong, you want plenty of protein but most peoples suggestions are based on copy cat advice and not the actual science itself. Without drugs, you have a limited amount of muscle you can put on at any given time.

At 107 lbs and 5'10 you probably do look sickly. Your face will fill out with fat as you gain weight and all in all, you will look healthy. I really wouldn't worry about gaining fat or anything yet. I'd just focus on eating your face off and progressing in weights as often as humanly possible for now. I think you'll be much happier 50 lbs heavier.

Tom Mutaffis
04-04-2011, 08:18 PM

Assuming that you are eating enough you could expect to possibly even gain a bit more than 1 lb/week initially, though the gains will flatten out once you have been training a bit and you will likely have to change things up a couple of times throughout the year in order to continue making progress.

Focus on calorie dense foods such as ground beef, peanut butter sandwiches, whole milk, steak, etc.

darkangel
04-05-2011, 06:16 AM
GOMAD 'nuff said...

P.S. You're a beginner so you may want to learn the lifts properly and get the poundages up a bit before you start gomad ;)

mchicia1
04-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Honestly, don't even count calories or macros right now. Just eat whatever the hell you want and do it frequently until you get up to a normal weight for your height. Tom said it...red meats, PB, and a ton of milk. Milk will be your best friend because it will allow you to get in even more calories even if you are full. Make sure you never go to bed on an empty stomach during this phase.

gmen5681
04-05-2011, 07:30 AM
GOMAD 'nuff said...

P.S. You're a beginner so you may want to learn the lifts properly and get the poundages up a bit before you start gomad ;)

agreed