PDA

View Full Version : Training Plan.. good or bad?!

robertk
04-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi, new to the forum and was hoping for some helpful advice :hello:

My situation...
I used to be really skinny (about 9 stone) but started lifting weights and eating lots and eventually become a lot bigger (now 10.5 stone) over about 6 months time.

I stopped lifting weights for a few years but carried on eating lots and not very healthily so lost the muscle and became chubby, now I'm dieting and lifting light weights I don't seem to have lost weight but are getting thin around the waist, but... I still have lots of fat :confused:

I want to lose the fat as quick as possible and build up muscle.
I've been researching and think I know what i need to do but just wanted to check with some people who know what they are talking about.

My plan...
Small calorie intake, lots of protein, regular weights and cardio.

Is that what needs to be done or do I need to lose the fat first?

Thankyou in advance :)

colinS3
04-03-2011, 02:21 PM
You seem to have the basics down pretty well. The main thing you need to focus on is eating below your maintenance level. Eat 300-500 calories under whatever that number is for you and you'll lose weight. The lifting and occasional cardio are good supplements and will speed the process up, but they should only be viewed as that (supplements). The main thing you have to focus on is your caloric intake.

You can do this all at once, you don't need to wait to lose the fat. Doing all of these things will actually help you lose the fat. Just be careful with the cardio. Don't go on long runs right before or after a leg workout, that's just asking to injure yourself.

Good luck! I'm sure more members will post on this thread and give you more helpful advice than I have. Just remember to watch your calories!

robertk
04-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the quick reply mate,

I'm going to write up a strict diet, order a protein supplement to help, and work out a weights and cardio programme.

Cheers :)

colinS3
04-03-2011, 05:09 PM
No problem, good luck with your plan! Just make sure it isn't too strict. You don't need all of it to be super healthy foods and nothing that you really enjoy. Get a well balanced diet with enough foods that you actually like so that you're not craving anything a week or two in. You ultimately doom yourself when you start craving something because eventually your body will give in. And remember, only 300-500 calories less than your maintenance level.

Oh, and welcome to WBB!

robertk
04-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Cheers for the welcome mate

Been lifting weights again for just over a week now and regret ever stopping!
Even though only just starting again its already started to feel good as my arms and shoulders feel like they are finally being used and made to work, I haven't felt that in a while.

Thanks again for the advice, its appreciated.