PDA

View Full Version : Training conjugate method, but don't compete. How can I work out percentages for DE

gazh1983
04-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi I don't compete (yet). Dave Tate said in an interview that in that case you should max out on the bench and squat every 8 weeks. But for example the 4 week "pendulum wave" for DE squats obviously ends after 4 weeks?

Or say for example If I max out on the bench theres no way my 60% on DE day is going to be the same 8 weeks later. I appreciate these are just guidelines but what the celing over 8 weeks, say 65% or is the three reps in three seconds a more appropriate guide.

Thanks!!

C...unit
04-03-2011, 05:10 PM
You stick to you % untill you max again. First, speed is more important on DE days than adding a cpl of lbs to the bar that is a mistake alot of ppl make.

I wave band then chains but I am using closer to 40% of my 1rm and I feel that works better for me as long as you are explosive with the bar speed thats the whole idea.

You will be maxing every ME day, just not str8 off the chest bench press. Could use floorpresses w/chains or alot of different board presse etc

EDIT: I think if I remember right there are different % for geared and for raw lifters as well. Best thing Iv done is have a spotter who knows something watch you lift and when he sees you start to slow down drop some weight off the bar and stay there and get in and get out quick rest periods for de day everything should be fast.

gazh1983
04-03-2011, 05:28 PM
You stick to you % untill you max again. First, speed is more important on DE days than adding a cpl of lbs to the bar that is a mistake alot of ppl make.

I wave band then chains but I am using closer to 40% of my 1rm and I feel that works better for me as long as you are explosive with the bar speed thats the whole idea.

You will be maxing every ME day, just not str8 off the chest bench press. Could use floorpresses w/chains or alot of different board presse etc

EDIT: I think if I remember right there are different % for geared and for raw lifters as well. Best thing Iv done is have a spotter who knows something watch you lift and when he sees you start to slow down drop some weight off the bar and stay there and get in and get out quick rest periods for de day everything should be fast.

Thanks man, exactly what I was after. I haven't used bands or chains yet.

At the moment we're using floor press as ME, would you ever do a speed floor press? Or always stick with conv bench.

Many thanks

C...unit
04-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks man, exactly what I was after. I haven't used bands or chains yet.

At the moment we're using floor press as ME, would you ever do a speed floor press? Or always stick with conv bench.

Many thanks

IDK if you could or not? We do reg bench and switch bars alot. Fat bar, t-bar etc other than that just straight bench press on ME daysTry rotating floorpresses with board presses and reverse band presses too that works pretty good. Im no expert this is just what we have been doing and its helped both my raw bench and shirted press as well.

vdizenzo
04-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Considering you are not always on a regular bench for ME, DE is a good place to keep your form in check. You can throw dumbells or floor press in once in a while, but it's not really DE work.

gazh1983
04-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Cool thanks!

Ermantroudt
04-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I made my best gains at 42% of my 1RM for DE BP. I think the guideline Dave and Louie both talk about is 20 out of 200 lifts on DE day being above the traninng percentage.

3 Weeks with Mini's
3 Weeks with Chains
3 Weeks with Straight weight-find new max on last training day with straight weight.

gazh1983
04-05-2011, 01:40 PM
I made my best gains at 42% of my 1RM for DE BP. I think the guideline Dave and Louie both talk about is 20 out of 200 lifts on DE day being above the traninng percentage.

3 Weeks with Mini's
3 Weeks with Chains
3 Weeks with Straight weight-find new max on last training day with straight weight.

Interesting...I havent got near chains etc yet. yesterday we stuck around 50% but I made sure the cocentric reps were done in a second or under. "3 reps in 3 seconds".