PDA

View Full Version : Finally able to squat again, advice much appreciated.

Fuzzy
04-03-2011, 06:24 PM
After some severe issues, I am finally able to squat again and do so quite comfortably.

In the past, ym squatting has been far to quad dominant, breaking with the knees etc. Whilst I sitll want to remain true to the Olympic atg squat, I have been working on popping back more and getting much more ham/glute in. My posterior is severely underdeveloped and I am working at fixing that.

308x5
ADwUqdDF1dA

330x5
Rh-ycQsC-II

330x5 again
zJkGkFJOz10

Auzzie
04-03-2011, 08:39 PM
nice lifts mate. :strong: You know i thought that's what gyms in Adelaide probably look like!!! LOL :thumbup:

Sensei
04-03-2011, 08:48 PM
What were the severe issues Fuzzy?

On the first set it looks like your knees are bowing outward. If you pause and start the video rapidly as you descend, you can see the knee shoot forward in the hole - that's probably fine, but if you are having knee issues and you are targeting the posterior chain then probably not fine.

You might consider switching to a low bar squat w. a wider stance as an accessory exercise.

Fuzzy
04-03-2011, 09:26 PM
What were the severe issues Fuzzy?

On the first set it looks like your knees are bowing outward. If you pause and start the video rapidly as you descend, you can see the knee shoot forward in the hole - that's probably fine, but if you are having knee issues and you are targeting the posterior chain then probably not fine.

You might consider switching to a low bar squat w. a wider stance as an accessory exercise.

Had issues both above the knee and below the knee. I beleive the issue is an extreme weakness in the posterior and so far the only physio I've had success with has been doing a huge amount of glute activation work which has helped immensely. I still intend to Olympic lift which is why I'm hesitant to widen up and low bar. I've added a huge amount of SLDL, GM's and hip thrusts to my weekly training volume where as before i did them maybe once a week.

Sensei
04-03-2011, 09:40 PM
I still intend to Olympic lift which is why I'm hesitant to widen up and low bar. I've added a huge amount of SLDL, GM's and hip thrusts to my weekly training volume where as before i did them maybe once a week.
I'm only suggesting it as a temporary measure. There would be an adjustment period as you regroove to a low-bar and again when you switch back, but it certainly wouldn't ruin your OL. I would also suggest slowing down your descent and working out any inconsistencies you might have from rep to rep until your issues are resolved or at least alleviated. JMO.

Fuzzy
04-03-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm only suggesting it as a temporary measure. There would be an adjustment period as you regroove to a low-bar and again when you switch back, but it certainly wouldn't ruin your OL. I would also suggest slowing down your descent and working out any inconsistencies you might have from rep to rep until your issues are resolved or at least alleviated. JMO.

Point taken. I'll have a play with low bar tonight, never could get it to feel right...

For what it's worth, these are some morning front squats

Y_ostZCSPW0

Cards
04-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Sensei,

Is it possible for Fuzzy to use a high bar position while widening the stance as an accessory movement? I know that a Low bar puts the body in a position to lift more weight once the stance is widened, but assuming that Fuzzy is flexible enough could a high bar position still be used?

Sean S
04-05-2011, 11:11 AM
I think your last set of back squats look fine. The forward knee travel isn't all that great. I've been squatting with a similar style recently and really like it. As long as I push my knees out hard, I still end up with a substantial amount of posterior chains work. I think your plan sounds solid, it will just take a while to bring deficiencies into better balance. It took you training for a while a certain way to develop these "imbalances" and thus they will take a while to correct.

Sensei
04-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Sensei,

Is it possible for Fuzzy to use a high bar position while widening the stance as an accessory movement? I know that a Low bar puts the body in a position to lift more weight once the stance is widened, but assuming that Fuzzy is flexible enough could a high bar position still be used?Yes, sure. He could do some high-bar or even Manta-Ray squats with a ultra-wide stance stopping at about parallel - and I've recommended that and very wide stance GMs to people before. No one likes these movements though - they feel like someone is ripping your legs off you like a frog in a French restaurant.

You're right - those might be better choices, but imho Fuzz could use some time away from OL squats.