PDA

View Full Version : Touching in Overkill shirt

martin
04-05-2011, 01:05 AM
Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is any way of making a touch easier in an overkill from people's experience?

I just seem to lock up about two inches away from chest. I really made an effort to get the sleeves way up into the armpits yesterday - and it felt great to press in but no luck getting to get with over 600.

Would wetting it be a good idea?

Thanks for any help

SELK
04-05-2011, 02:31 AM
Wetting it seems to help the shirt a bit, it took 6-7 sessions in the shirt before I could come close to touching. Also if you don't belt it down that can help too.

Travis Bell
04-05-2011, 03:32 AM
Yeah I typically don't pull the shirt down tight under my belt

I don't really like wetting the shirt, but if you need to while breaking it in it might help.

vdizenzo
04-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Wetting a shirt while breaking it in is a good idea. I have been told you want to stretch the fibers to break the shirt in. Whereas if you try to get it down before it's ready you can break the fibers. Wetting the fibers will keep them from breaking. The goal with wetting is once the shirt is broken in properly you should not have to wet it anymore. At least that is my understanding.

I'll never forget at IPA Worlds another lifter was yelling at my partner Tee "Yeah, wet that shirt, take all the strength out of it!" trying to get in his head. Tee went on to hit his first 900 using the SDP. Some believe in wetting the shirt, others don't. I have seen people be successful either way. Try things out and learn for yourself.

martin
04-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your responses. I know opinions will always differ but I'm still learning so it's good to hear even if it's conflicting.

I've had probably 8 sessions in the shirt in total, I got it last year but after 6-7 weeks battling with it I returned to my ace for a meet in Feb to be safe. I've got the national Bench meet coming up in 7 weeks and would really like to put something big (for me) up at 220, hopefully somewhere around 620-650.

Amazingly the heavier I got the better the sets went. I used a single chain each side (30 lbs) and worked upto 610 ish and the pressing felt great but just not getting it down well enough.

Do you really have to tuck your elbows hard in these shirts?

mike95763
04-05-2011, 08:34 AM
I am breaking in a new Overkill right now as well. With my old Overkill, once I got it to touch it was pretty easy to keep touching. I have found that I have to tuck pretty hard to touch, but not much different than a Metal Ace. One thing that helps is doing some heavy negatives with good spotters. Once you get down to a 1 board or so away you just have to tuck harder and pull on the bar until it touches.

vdizenzo
04-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Hmmmmm, sounds like a magician looking for a better wand. Now you said you went back to your Ace. Clearly that must have worked out ok. I find the problem with modern powerlifting is a lot of guys are too busy trying to find better equipment than getting stronger. You are going to spend more and more time trying to figure out a shirt when you already have one that you can work in. It does not make sense to me. Why not stick with the Ace and just get better and stronger?

This is not because I am sponsored by EliteFTS and use Metal. If you were successful in the Overkill and wanted to switch to the Ace I would tell you the same thing. Stick with what works. Get bigger and stronger. That is what powerlifting is supposed to be about. JMHO

theBarzeen
04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
It took me 6-8 weeks to get my first 2-ply to touch, but like the above poster said.... once I got it there I never had trouble with it again.

I am now breaking in my new 3-ply Overkill and just did my first workout in it to break it in. The new one is a new, stretchier material that Rudy is trying out, but being 3-ply it's a real bear.

I like using doubles and triples to break in a shirt. Each rep to a progressively lower board. For example: with my old 2-ply, I got the shirt when I was opening up around 525. I took sets with 400 down to a three board for a double, then 425 for a double with the first rep to a three board and the second to a two board. Then I took 425 again to a 2-board and a one board ( again as a 2-rep set).... and finally 440 to a one board then the chest as a 2-rep set. This process took a few weeks. By the end I was able to touch 365 ( as the third rep in a 3-rep set). I then opened at ~525 a few weeks later at the 2009 AWPC worlds.
I just used the same shirt for the 2011 APF state meet in March, I opened at 660, hit my first 700 ( 705), then lost 733 when my foot slipped...
My first workout in the new style 3-ply I was able to take 600 to a two board..... I'll make a better opinion about the shirt after I get a few more sessions in it, but first impression was impressive.

I'm very lucky to be able to bench with Rudy ( of overkill) every week so he can give me a lot of guidance with the shirts. I'll try my best to share everything we are doing to make our group successful with these shirts. We work the shirts ( most of us in the regular bench group) by letting them ride up as high as possible without choking us, leave the belt loose for your first sets. With how tough the material is ( on any new poly for that matter) you don't need to jack the shirt down until your heavier sets, let it ride up when you are trying to touch. Wetting the shirt helps a lot to break in a shirt. I don't wet mine, but some guys I lift with do. Make sure the shirt is all the way up too, if needed do a few sets to boards to warm up the shirt and get it seated all the way up in the arm pit. I find that it helps to have a spotter poke the lifter in the belly right where you want to touch the bar, this way the lifter can feel the spot and not flatten out by trying to look at it. The shirts take a little bit of speed to touch easily, so once you have the bar in your hands just take the bar right to your spot, but stay tight. When the shirt starts to load up I pull the bar in ( like a bent over row)... It really helps me to have a good spotter call out to me where the bar is going.... things like "tuck more" or " right there, just pull it in". The biggest problem I've seen is guys running from the shirt when it tightens up and over tucking , or trying to touch too low and dumping it. The shirts give a lot of pop at the bottom, but you have to work to load up the shirt. Pull in to that tightness.

This stuff works for any shirt, not just Overkill. Sorry to be long winded here, but I'd rather write too much than leave anything out that could help someone.

ct67_72
04-05-2011, 06:41 PM
It took me quite a few times benching in my overkill to be able to touch in it. I never wet aht shirt, I had heard from more than one person not to wet those. Not to say that its the truth. We have a guy at the gym that blew through 3 SDP's and now wont press in it unless its wet down with the fear of it blowing out.
The overkill does have a lot of stop on the bottom, I found just doing triples, no boards and just working it down is the best.
Also, dont pull it down tight, let the collar stay up some, and make sure its over the shoulders, the lower the shirt on the shoulder the harder it is to touch.

Rob Luyando
04-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Barzeen's advice is solid. Vincent advice about wetting the shirt is solid. My advice cost to much money.............. lol Keep the collar up as high as possible until you get it to touch a few times then you can start playing tricks with it to get more out of it. Overkill isn't any diferent then breaking any other shirt in just takes hard work, dedication and patience.

icedutah
04-06-2011, 10:48 AM
I'd say Overkill is a bit different than most shirts for break in as you can go full range or as low as possible (no boards) from the first workout. The poly fiber on an Overkill won't damage and fray like SDP's, Katana's, and RageX's. The shirt can take it!

theBarzeen
04-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Barzeen's advice is solid. Vincent advice about wetting the shirt is solid. My advice cost to much money.............. lol Keep the collar up as high as possible until you get it to touch a few times then you can start playing tricks with it to get more out of it. Overkill isn't any diferent then breaking any other shirt in just takes hard work, dedication and patience.

Yea, but it's your advice that helped me touch as easy as I do AND hit the PR's that I do....

martin
04-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Hmmmmm, sounds like a magician looking for a better wand. Now you said you went back to your Ace. Clearly that must have worked out ok. I find the problem with modern powerlifting is a lot of guys are too busy trying to find better equipment than getting stronger. You are going to spend more and more time trying to figure out a shirt when you already have one that you can work in. It does not make sense to me. Why not stick with the Ace and just get better and stronger?

This is not because I am sponsored by EliteFTS and use Metal. If you were successful in the Overkill and wanted to switch to the Ace I would tell you the same thing. Stick with what works. Get bigger and stronger. That is what powerlifting is supposed to be about. JMHO

I agree and in all honesty I like the Ace alot - but it's slightly too big for me right now and the Overkill isn't. I cant afford to spend on a new Ace right now and there isn't anyone here I trust to alter it. So this is me making the most of what I have right now.

I have another 6 weeks or so - I will try wetting it down and keep pushing for a touch with the collar higher.

Thanks Barzeen for your info, mainly just to confirm what I have been doing isn't way off!

Thanks for all the advice - I'll get back with any progress I make :)