PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the romanian deadlift as sparingly as a conventional one?

gazh1983
04-05-2011, 12:11 PM
I wanna use RDL's to build my hams, however the accepted knowledge basically seems to rarely deadlift. Howeverthese don't seem as dynamic as normal deads?

AdamBAG
04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Who establishes this "accepted knowledge?" Most people that compete in full meets are doing some type of deadlift 1-2 times a week.

I think romanians are a good assistance exercise. Give them a try.

gazh1983
04-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Who establishes this "accepted knowledge?" Most people that compete in full meets are doing some type of deadlift 1-2 times a week.

I think romanians are a good assistance exercise. Give them a try.

Good point! Thanks man will do.

Majik
04-05-2011, 01:26 PM
yeah I think you are confusing that there are people who will only pull from the floor for ME rarely. They are still doing some sort of deadlift variation weekly or more.

theBarzeen
04-05-2011, 02:02 PM
I tried not deadlifting every week last year..... I went from pulling 625 the year before to only hitting 589 last year.

This year I have been lucky to have 3 guys to train with who have all pulled over 800.
We do stiff-legged deadlifts, deadlifts from a deficit ( standing on blocks or mats), speed pulls, lockout work ( I also use chains and bands for this, the others don't as far as I know)..... and I'm pulling over 85% almost every other week.

After all of that I smoked a 683 pull at my first meet this year and got reds on a 733 because I got the down call and just put it down instead of finishing locking it out all the way... ( it was a grinder 3rd attempt and I wussed out)

I don't know that stiff-legged deads did all that by themselves, but along with all of the other variants and pulling more frequently it made a difference.

NickAus
04-05-2011, 03:54 PM
I am finding them very good, helping both my conventional and sumo.

LITTLE HICKSON
04-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I wanna use RDL's to build my hams, however the accepted knowledge basically seems to rarely deadlift. Howeverthese don't seem as dynamic as normal deads?

I've done them as often as 4x a week in the past, I find they really helped fix my weak point (lockout). And added some size to hamstring they might of end up helping regular deadlift. Have not been doing them much latley, only because I have been needing more time to recover from normal deadlift/squat training.

Big_Byrd52
04-07-2011, 08:38 AM
I've done them as often as 4x a week in the past, I find they really helped fix my weak point (lockout). And added some size to hamstring they might of end up helping regular deadlift. Have not been doing them much latley, only because I have been needing more time to recover from normal deadlift/squat training.

RDLs are performed a few different ways; im not sure which is actually correct. How do u perform urs? And how did u incorporate them into ur training 4 days a week?

LITTLE HICKSON
04-07-2011, 12:17 PM
RDLs are performed a few different ways; im not sure which is actually correct. How do u perform urs? And how did u incorporate them into ur training 4 days a week?

well I perform them out of the rack, wide grip, always with straps, and never use a belt. Go down till about mid-shin, maybe slightly above that. (only go as low as good form allows) When I was doing them 4x a week, I was doing 4 sets of 9 on Monday, 5 sets of 7 on Wednesdays, 7 sets of 5 on Fridays, and 10 sets of 3 on Saturdays. During this time I participated in Zero regular deadlfiting, as there would of been no way to recover in from both. I was using weights that were tough, but never a real struggle. Just a lot of work. I found them to be especially helpful to me because I had a strong mid back always and when the hamstring/low back link was strengthed really brought everything on par with everything else.

gazh1983
04-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Some very informative answers here I did these for the first time this week. What I found was that keeping the back arched was imperative, the second I lost that arch the emphasis went completely from my hams to lower /mid back.

But I will definatley keep doing them, you know how it is with exercises, it takes a few sessions to "get the feel".

Tom Mutaffis
04-07-2011, 03:05 PM
well I perform them out of the rack, wide grip, always with straps, and never use a belt. Go down till about mid-shin, maybe slightly above that. (only go as low as good form allows) When I was doing them 4x a week, I was doing 4 sets of 9 on Monday, 5 sets of 7 on Wednesdays, 7 sets of 5 on Fridays, and 10 sets of 3 on Saturdays. During this time I participated in Zero regular deadlfiting, as there would of been no way to recover in from both. I was using weights that were tough, but never a real struggle. Just a lot of work. I found them to be especially helpful to me because I had a strong mid back always and when the hamstring/low back link was strengthed really brought everything on par with everything else.

That is interesting, were you doing any squatting along with the RDL's?

I may try something similar since I have neglected my hamstrings for quite some time and recently increased my frequency for gym workouts so it would be feasible to train them up to 3X/week.