PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Powerliftingwatch.com

chris mason
04-05-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't just want haters. I want as many honest opinions as possible.

We have advertised there for a while, but I really think the quality of stories on the site has gone south.

So, do you still check the site out? If so, more or less often than you used to? Do you think it is worth it for us to continue to advertise there?

Chris

Lones Green
04-05-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't even look at it anymore whatsoever. Stories are not as good and a bunch of trolls.

StLRPh
04-05-2011, 05:29 PM
FWIW, I almost never look there anymore

jtteg_x
04-05-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm not a fan of their articles and current media coverage but I do like visiting that site to read up on PL federation information (rulebook, official site, future meets, etc). I visit them at least once a week cause its habit and about every other day if I'm seeking interest in competing in my area. Sometimes I will help by submitting PL meets in my area as well. IMO I think you should continue advertising them because their world wide known. They seem to be the "go to" site for PL related news. If you pull them off your site, chances are they will pull WBB off = less advertising for you. I think of PLwatch like youtube, we all still use/go ti it but hate the trolling that goes on. That's just how the internet is though!

vdizenzo
04-05-2011, 05:54 PM
I think it has fallen far. However, I still go there. I'm a pl junky! I will say it probably gets lots of traffic for looking up meets and records.

BloodandThunder
04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Chris I in no way intend to tell you how to run your business, but if you simply google "Powerlifting" it's one of the first things to pop up. For first timers getting in the sport, they see your business on that site. Perhaps you could do a referral option for new customers to see how much traffic you get from that site.

I am with Vinny though on the state of the site. Barely any of the articles get above 5 comments these days

ScottYard
04-05-2011, 06:02 PM
I still go there. I rarely read anything but I go there once a day just incase something catches my eye. 9 times out of 10 it doesnt though.

K-R-M
04-05-2011, 06:09 PM
I have to wonder if the people at wannabebig.com wouldn't do a better job for everything powerlifting. Scratch that, I know they would. Just a thought.

I go to PLwatch, sometimes.

Sean S
04-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I still go there. I rarely read anything but I go there once a day just incase something catches my eye. 9 times out of 10 it doesnt though.

This is exactly what I do as well. I do find the site less interesting than it used to be. I think the new customer referral question is a good idea as that may give you a better indication about how much business is generated from advertising there.

ct67_72
04-05-2011, 06:37 PM
I do visit there somewhat frequently, but it is never for anything but to look up meets, results or records. I do use the classifieds though, they seem to be the best.
I will say the other day after looking up some records, I scrolled down to the powerlifting forums to see what was there. So I guess for the average person its a good thing to be on there, and im sure it directs some traffic here.

NickAus
04-05-2011, 06:38 PM
I agree it would get lots of traffic.

I only go there to look at the second hand powerlifting gear for sale....about every 3 weeks on average.

Big_Byrd52
04-05-2011, 06:41 PM

Agreed. At least when there was constant pissing and moaning it was over new posts and updates. Not much newsworthy posting going on these days. I dont even know where to go for updates anymore. Possibly a slot for Atlarge or WBB to fill?

Brian Hopper
04-05-2011, 07:20 PM
I usually get on it once or twice a day just to see what's going on.

joey54
04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
It doesn't seem they update very frequently. I don't know the relationships and am not sure what others think, but advertising somewhere like outlaws might be better.

Rob Luyando
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
I visit from time to time but rarely post there anymore. lots of whining and negativity. Coverage is very biased

chris mason
04-05-2011, 09:53 PM
See, I'm thinking what you guys are expressing and that is my concern.

Please keep the feedback coming.

Sam, I would love to do more but the problem is hours in the day. Doing something like that right would require several hours a day. I would need to find someone to do it.

LouPac
04-05-2011, 10:06 PM
I just visit to see where the meets are going to be, aside from that I don't bother.

IronDiggy
04-05-2011, 10:48 PM
I hardly go there anymore. I will say plwatch was how I found WBB when I was starting out.

rinse
04-06-2011, 03:03 AM
I didn't go there for a couple of months and I realised that I didn't go there anymore so I checked it out but quickly noticed why I didn't visit the site anymore.

SELK
04-06-2011, 04:39 AM
Daily.. I am on my computer most of the day and if a site has powerlifting content, i'm reading it.

J_Byrd
04-06-2011, 05:27 AM
Daily.. I am on my computer most of the day and if a site has powerlifting content, i'm reading it.

Pretty much the same with me. I go a few times a day, just to laugh at some of the stupid comments. Does anyone know why they select some of the articles they pick? Some of them dont seem news worthy at all. Not even sure what their criteria is. It is still a good site to advertise on simply because of the amount of travel through there, and all common interest people.

Ryano
04-06-2011, 05:30 AM
I still check it a couple of times a day, but will say that I'm not there long.

killxswitch
04-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Chris, not sure if this is of any interest to you but take a look at their pageviews:

http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/5838/graphw400h220ofc1ypbfff.png

I found this info here: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/powerliftingwatch.com

Seems like their daily traffic has gone down recently. I did not really dig into the data though. Just thought it might be useful.

Ryan Celli
04-06-2011, 08:34 AM
I check it usually once a day.

It seems to be down on traffic and posts.

Sometimes the news does not seem news worthy, but I understand they want give everyone some exposure even if your not the best.

I can tell you we get some phone calls, members, and day passes from our powerlifting gym listing on there, more day passes than anything. Had one yesterday in fact.

I don't know whether to blame PLW or simply blame the state of powerlifting for the lack of substance. I hardly watch any videos anymore. Most are labeled, "700 raw deadlift" Then you watch it and its a 700lb rack pull from above the knees with reverse blue bands with a 5 minute intro of some dude prepping for the 7 second lift. ..LOL Does anyone ever upload real lifts anymore?

Are you able to see exactly how many people click on your PLW ad and get to your site? I'm not really sure about this, but I think you can thru your web server.

BloodandThunder
04-06-2011, 09:13 AM
It's pretty clear that once the site stopped anonymous trolling, lack of comments and page views became the norm. Some features they've been doing, like featuring older videos, are nice as well as the meet results, calendar, and powerlifting gyms pages. It really is ground zero for anyone new to the sport.

It seemed that when Jon handed the site over, some politics played into things. I guess I'm different, but I enjoy reading and watching all three sectors of the sport, raw/single/multi. Some people aren't like that. It seems like instead of actively hunting for videos and training logs, they rely more on user-submitted stuff.

But from a business standpoint, they now have alot more supplement companies on there. Most know ALN has always been powerlifting-involved for some time now, so again, some statistics should probably tell you how much traffic and business you're getting through your ads there. Maybe, as a sponsor of the site, relay your worries and thoughts to the current owner/webmaster?

Brian C
04-06-2011, 09:58 AM
I check it daily, but agree the content has fallen off drastically. I never bother reading any comments on vids I do look at because of all the depth trolls making their little statement which just gets me pissed off. Mostly Im there for federation info or the classifieds.

Brian Hopper
04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Chris, not sure if this is of any interest to you but take a look at their pageviews:

http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/5838/graphw400h220ofc1ypbfff.png

I found this info here: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/powerliftingwatch.com

Seems like their daily traffic has gone down recently. I did not really dig into the data though. Just thought it might be useful.

Wow, that's a huge difference.

MarcusWild
04-06-2011, 11:20 AM
We've talked about it at the gym. Everyone goes to it much less often.

The site really changed. It used to be Jon would find and post the news. Now Eric relies on people to send him the news. That's why it's always the same people on there. They are the ones sending in their articles and videos.

That graph is crazy. Traffic really fell off a cliff.

Chris,

Do you get analytics from your web host that show where your visits originate from? That'll tell you how much traffic you get from there. That makes it easy to decide of the advertising is worth the money or not.

JK1
04-06-2011, 11:46 AM
LOL. You all know my history with PLWatch. I think I might hold a record somewhere for the number of bannings for a non-troll. Or at least I don't think I'm a troll. I'm not one on purpose.

That site pisses me off. Plain and simple. I am convinced that when Jon ran it there was a bias to generate web traffic because that web traffic was benificial to what he was trying to do. I know I've had my share of rants on that site, but to this day I still think I'm correct in saying what I said about Jons goals and his motivations with the site. He welcomed and encouraged some of the trolling because it generated web traffic. I know its stupid, but I'll be the first to admit, i went to the site, i got pissed off about something, and I came back later in the day to get pissed off again. Sometimes I did that several times a day.

When Eric took over, I told him point blank that I thought he was in a position to unify powerlifting using PLWatch. It is one of the first google hits for powerlifting and there are a large number of quality companies that advertise on that site that represent all aspects of the sport. It was in a position to have the potential to cover ALL aspects of powerlifting fairly and equally. Unfortunately in his attempts to end some bullshit, it got even more stupid. I was given a 'time out" for calling someone a dumbass. I still laugh about that one because I can't tell you what happened, only that I thought I was being nice calling them a dumbass. The site went from one extreme to the other in terms of moderation. This was the time where the obvious bias by administration to certian aspects of the sport began to show through.

As I understand it now Eric has very little to do with the actual administration of the site. The guys who are now running it are doing it. Thats about it. I fail to understand why some threads are very, very tightly moderated, while others ---like Robs 1000 lb squat thread goes on for over 100 hits. He alone generated more webtraffic on that site than it had seen in the 3 weeks before. I know they are not scouring the web for information, but instead are more or less depending on people sending them "news" to put on the site.

I'm at the point where I really wish it would just die or change format. I'd like to see a site that just has advertising, lifter rankings, federation information, meet announcements, and meet results. Nothing else. No training videos, no meet videos, nothing but that raw information. I'd gladly pay $10-15/ year for a site that had that.

theBarzeen
04-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I still check the site daily, but I agree with everyone else about the content.

I'm happy that they have been posting videos from a wider range of people, and I like how many more stories they seem to be posting per day, but the comments are starting to look like bodybuilding.com's forums ( which I no longer look at).... all of a sudden everyone is a world class video judge and cuts down whatever is posted on there. It's hard to see some goon I've never heard of cut down an up and comer's lift because they feel that their stink is better.

JK1
04-06-2011, 11:52 AM
I still check the site daily, but I agree with everyone else about the content.

I'm happy that they have been posting videos from a wider range of people, and I like how many more stories they seem to be posting per day, but the comments are starting to look like bodybuilding.com's forums ( which I no longer look at).... all of a sudden everyone is a world class video judge and cuts down whatever is posted on there. It's hard to see some goon I've never heard of cut down an up and comer's lift because they feel that their stink is better.

Yup.

mastermonster
04-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Pretty much the same with me. I go a few times a day, just to laugh at some of the stupid comments. Does anyone know why they select some of the articles they pick? Some of them dont seem news worthy at all. Not even sure what their criteria is. It is still a good site to advertise on simply because of the amount of travel through there, and all common interest people.

I'm similar. I usually start there and use the forum list to nevigate quickly to a few that I check in on. I also check the rankings there regularly. The news stuff has gotten a little one sided to raw and single ply and drug tested events. I spend about 70% of my computer time here at WBB, 20% at PLWATCH, and 10% at a few other sites. I think it gets a lot of travel through because there is so much info congregated there and it's like a navigational hub; which probably make it worth advertizing there.

shocker4221
04-06-2011, 09:16 PM
I go to the site a few times a week, not to read too many articles but too check out upcoming meets, results, and anything that just catches my eye. I can say that the site is how I came across this site and am glad I did.

Phillip Wylie
04-12-2011, 12:33 PM
I visit Powerlifting Watch once a day. I visit the site to keep up with what's going on in the powerlifting world and for the rankings. I recently quit subscribing to Powerlifting USA since Powerlifting Watch has rankings and most importantly to me, the raw rankings. Powerlifting USA doesn't have raw rankings, so it is a plus for me that Powerlifting Watch does. I think it's a good place to advertise, just like someone else mentioned if you do a search on powerlifting, Powerlifting Watch is in the top 4 to 5 results.

Travis Bell
04-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I think PLW sucks.

But I didn't really like it before lol. Seems like a gathering ground for whiners to me

Chris Smith
04-13-2011, 10:30 PM
I agree with Travis. Not a fan of the site--I may visit it once a week, and that is just because I am bored to death at work.

kingns
04-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Its one of the 3 or 4 sites I always check when im on the computer but i find a lot of boring headlines and lots of negative comments that are unnecessary

Tim K
04-14-2011, 06:46 PM
I used to frequent the site awhile back but not so much anymore. Just went there today and after reading some of the comments posted, I'm in no hurry to return. The site is rampant with negative comments. Heck, people even complain about deadlifts because someone didn't 'stick their chest out proud,' or something like that. Its all pretty silly.

Niko_El_Piko
04-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Honest answer: No.
I havn´t visited that site at least in the last 3/4 months.