PDA

View Full Version : Westside and Deads

Bosshogg300
04-06-2011, 01:58 PM
i know from what i have read that westside doesnt do much deadlifting , but i do rack deads as my main lift for
Me lowe day, i did them last week and i am wondering if it would be ok to do them this week aswell i usually dont do them back to back like this because i dont want to tax my cns but would it be ok to do them back to back weeks and would it be ok to do speed pulls on my De day as well in the same week

AdamBAG
04-06-2011, 03:12 PM
I actually don't think the "westside doesn't deadlift" thing is correct anymore. They are pulling all the time now.

I don't know why you couldn't pull off pins twice in a row. Maybe change the pin height or go to a 3 rep max or 5 rep max this time (assuming you did a max single last week).

barryisawinnah
04-06-2011, 04:51 PM
I used to enjoy going for a 3rm one week and then a 1rm the next week for my main lifts. I wasn't really a powerlifter though. I was training for football, defranco in his combine prep book actually setup most weeks like that.

NickAus
04-06-2011, 04:57 PM
I actually don't think the "westside doesn't deadlift" thing is correct anymore. They are pulling all the time now.

I don't know why you couldn't pull off pins twice in a row. Maybe change the pin height or go to a 3 rep max or 5 rep max this time (assuming you did a max single last week).

This!

MarcusWild
04-06-2011, 05:20 PM
AJ Roberts talked about this when he first started training there. He said the "never deadlift" perception was very wrong. He was deadlifting all the time. It's hard to argue with his DL progress since he joined Westside.

chris mason
04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Yep, they pull quite a bit.

SEOINAGE
04-06-2011, 06:55 PM
This!

yep, I wouldn't do exactly the same thing two weeks in a row for ME, I tried it in the past and it just didn't work for me, and I think there are good reasons behind that.

C...unit
04-06-2011, 08:04 PM
I have been asking abt this for a while now. What we have been doing is rotating ME exersizes between good morning variants, squat variant, and dl variant and also doing speed pulls on DE days. I personaly think speed pulls dont do much I would rather hit heavy trip[ples or something but everyone around me says not to do this. My dead has been going up but very slowly sooo IDK what to make of it really.

I am going to start pulling heavy more and see how that goes.

NickAus
04-06-2011, 08:19 PM
I have been asking abt this for a while now. What we have been doing is rotating ME exersizes between good morning variants, squat variant, and dl variant and also doing speed pulls on DE days. I personaly think speed pulls dont do much I would rather hit heavy trip[ples or something but everyone around me says not to do this. My dead has been going up but very slowly sooo IDK what to make of it really.

I am going to start pulling heavy more and see how that goes.

Find some pull variations for max effort work that dont tax you as much as others that way you can pull more often with-out smashing your self into the ground.

Eg: sumo block pulls are way less taxing on my system than conventional pulls from floor, so I only pull heavy from floor once in a while yet my pull keeps going up from all the easier to recover from block pulls.

Everyone is different.

Heavy 3s instead of speed pulls will be too much IMO.

BloodandThunder
04-07-2011, 09:08 AM
The beauty of the conjugate system is that it can be made to work for you. Some lifters get away with pulling infrequently and just training the pulling muscles (GMs, etc). Some lifters need to pull weekly and heavy often to see progress. Some lifters need to utilize speed pulls most often and train variations often to increase their pull.

I'm sure WS has all three types. Also remember that anything WS puts out is a glimpse into what WS does at that moment in time. I'm sure Louie has tried anything and everything and if it led to a PR in any of his lifters, he writes about it. It seemed that AJ got alot of Ultra Wide Sumos and Conventional Rack Pulls against Band Tension.

Things have changed alot there it seems since the old 70% GM, 20% Squat, 10% Dead days they used to write about.

Bosshogg300
04-07-2011, 03:13 PM
well thanks for the fast responses and from now on i am going to pull 2wks in a row instead of one when using deads for my main ME lift, but i am curious if you could go higher in % for speed pulls like pyramid up to a certain percent like if i started at 50% of 1rm and worked up to 60% or 65% when doing them and is there a optimal number of sets as well when doing speed pulls i started doing 6 sets and moved to 8 sets of 1 rep should i also increase the number of reps ?

Bosshogg300
04-07-2011, 03:52 PM
does anyone or has anyone ever done zercher ? , i am thinking of adding them into my ME lower day as supp work does this seem like a bad idea

Bosshogg300
04-07-2011, 03:52 PM
i meant zercher squats

C...unit
04-07-2011, 06:09 PM
i meant zercher squats

I have done zerchers as the main lift on ME days and its an awesome exersize wear elbow sleaves the day you do them tho;)

NickAus
04-08-2011, 12:48 AM
i meant zercher squats

Many people love them.....many strong people...I think you would be fine with-out them but give them a try.

Bosshogg300
04-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Ok thanks guys for the input, im going to add them to my training and see how they go

C...unit
04-09-2011, 08:16 AM
I was watching an old series loui did with Chuck vogelpouhl getting ready for the ironman, and on DE days it was pretty much the same deal for chuck he would do a shitton of upper and lowerback for warmups, then sq up to some rediculas for doubles on DE day then do speed pulls, then do rack pulls after that and then do a bunch more lowerback and core stuff and his upperback workout again too.

He was pulling pretty much pr's on th rack pulls too soo I dont understand? He went through a circa max phase but I beleive this was part of his regular routine as far as I can tell? Its tough to figure it out sometimes?

Bosshogg300
04-09-2011, 10:17 AM
so from what you said would it be advisable to go heavier in speed pulls and box squats on DE lower, could you work 60-70% of 1rm and prymaid those percents like do 3 sets at 60% , 3sets at 65, and 3sets at 70% for box squats and speed pulls

C...unit
04-09-2011, 10:49 AM
so from what you said would it be advisable to go heavier in speed pulls and box squats on DE lower, could you work 60-70% of 1rm and prymaid those percents like do 3 sets at 60% , 3sets at 65, and 3sets at 70% for box squats and speed pulls

You could try it I guess but I cant imagine being very explosive @ 70% of your 1rm though. Man, I just need to take a trip out to westside and start asking some questions LOL

Big_Byrd52
04-09-2011, 12:27 PM
You should be VERY explosive with just 70% of ur max. Should be explosive up to about 80%. If u r not u need to spend more time in that range and work on turnaround out of hole and limit heavy work over 70% for a while. training heavy too much makes u slow. most training should be b/t 55-80% all done with CAT.

C...unit
04-09-2011, 02:30 PM
You should be VERY explosive with just 70% of ur max. Should be explosive up to about 80%. If u r not u need to spend more time in that range and work on turnaround out of hole and limit heavy work over 70% for a while. training heavy too much makes u slow. most training should be b/t 55-80% all done with CAT.

LOL yeah, you are right I was thinking of my 1rm free squat and always do speed squats off a 12 in box and for me slows me down alot but if I was free squatting 70% yes would be fast for sure.

Bosshogg300
04-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Well it's not so much the explosion that hinders me in the deadlift its when I get knee level or a lil bit higher is where I struggle, and as for squats Idk as much im a pretty strong squatter, but I think im going to do more doubles and triples on my max day when I squat but I will go heavy and not do as many singles, like I will do the first week of squats with singles and doubles and the second week with doubles and triples

NickAus
04-11-2011, 02:07 AM
If you want to go a little heavier on speed pulls just do 6 singles @ 50-70% (whatever your fast enough with) then a single or two singles at 70-80% (still pretty quick) ......thats just an example but the core of the speed sets should be very fast.

Niko_El_Piko
04-12-2011, 06:56 AM
I donŽt think youŽll meet the objective of a DE training using 80% of your 1RM, and the main reason is speed.
Stick to the 3 rep scheme for 50/55/60/65% of 1Rm and go for a 2x in the 70Žs %. In the 80% youŽll get slow, in terms of DE speed expectations; IŽll go for 1x in that range.