PDA

View Full Version : Bench Form (video)

barryisawinnah
04-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Tough to see really, next time I guess I will use a front angle. It looks like I lose tightness and am also pressing the bar a good bit towards my head. What do you big benchers say?

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jas_HSsIiiw

Brian Hopper
04-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm not a big bencher, but I would focus more on driving your heels down for your leg drive, and also working on getting a bigger arch. To me, It looked like for the first few reps you were benching straight up and down. Then towards the end you were pressing back towards your head.

barryisawinnah
04-08-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm not a big bencher, but I would focus more on driving your heels down for your leg drive, and also working on getting a bigger arch. To me, It looked like for the first few reps you were benching straight up and down. Then towards the end you were pressing back towards your head.

a 405 raw bench is a big bencher.

Thanks, yeah I have no arch, any tips on getting an arch?

shocker4221
04-08-2011, 07:50 PM
i'm still learning all this too but by keeping your feet flatter you'll be able to get more leg drive in the lift. Also by having your feet planted you should be able to push yourself down to get more of an arch. I have seen and heard many people suggest using a piece of pvc pipe and putting it under your lower back and gradually increasing the diameter. I have also heard people using footballs or such. Like I said, I'm new as well but I'll second what Brian said about your later reps going too far towards your face. By doing that you are increasing the distance you have to push the bar.

barryisawinnah
04-08-2011, 07:59 PM
i'm still learning all this too but by keeping your feet flatter you'll be able to get more leg drive in the lift. Also by having your feet planted you should be able to push yourself down to get more of an arch. I have seen and heard many people suggest using a piece of pvc pipe and putting it under your lower back and gradually increasing the diameter. I have also heard people using footballs or such. Like I said, I'm new as well but I'll second what Brian said about your later reps going too far towards your face. By doing that you are increasing the distance you have to push the bar.

yeah the later reps were really coming back over the head. I'll try out the feet thing. I've heard the same thing with foam rollers being used to increase the arch.

thanks

edit: Had to look up where Chiefland was, I see its near Gainesville. I'm from Sarasota, sometimes I miss it, sometimes I don't. lol

shocker4221
04-08-2011, 08:19 PM
With your feet flatter you can press much more with your heels and get a lot better leg drive which will help tremendously. Yeah I've heard of guys using foam too, anything that you can fit under your back and be somewhat comfortable. I've only been benching properly, or at least I think I am, for about a year and it has taken some time to get even a moderate arch and i'm still working on it.

Yeah Chiefland is out here in the sticks, much better than Miami where I used to live. One day I'll get out of the state to a place with scenery like CO

Travis Bell
04-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Put your feet farther out in front of you and wider in stance.

With your feet that far tucked underneath you, your lack of flexibility in your hips is actually causing your arch to suffer. Might want to work on that. Stretch those hips out big time.

You are also not tight enough in your lats and upper back. Really focus on squeezing the bar and flexing those harder.

barryisawinnah
04-08-2011, 09:12 PM

With your feet that far tucked underneath you, your lack of flexibility in your hips is actually causing your arch to suffer. Might want to work on that. Stretch those hips out big time.

You are also not tight enough in your lats and upper back. Really focus on squeezing the bar and flexing those harder.

Thanks Travis. I definitely knew I wasnt tight enough, I think I am normally tighter than that, but I know i'm not tight enough. I stretch my hip flexors out a bunch, but I guess I can always hit them harder. Guess it also wouldn't hurt to stretch them out before benching. I was definitely feeling tight today since I squatted yesterday.

Thanks

barryisawinnah
04-08-2011, 09:28 PM
With your feet flatter you can press much more with your heels and get a lot better leg drive which will help tremendously. Yeah I've heard of guys using foam too, anything that you can fit under your back and be somewhat comfortable. I've only been benching properly, or at least I think I am, for about a year and it has taken some time to get even a moderate arch and i'm still working on it.

Yeah Chiefland is out here in the sticks, much better than Miami where I used to live. One day I'll get out of the state to a place with scenery like CO

Yeah, I was in Sarasota till I was 19, then did the Marines for 5 years. Just got out and decided to come out here for school. I like it.

Falcon63
04-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Just asking for those who said it: what's the point of arching your back? Isn't that kind of cheating, since it makes it like a decline?

LanceGoyke
04-09-2011, 01:03 PM

I don't think stiffness in the front of his hips limit the arch at all. That stiffness drives the back into extension, which is pretty much all that arching is.

Definitely get the upper body tighter. One more thing to think about would be to "spread" the bar after you grip is hard.

Just asking for those who said it: what's the point of arching your back? Isn't that kind of cheating, since it makes it like a decline?

It main purpose is to cut the range of motion the bar has to travel. Yes, it is more decline-ish, but I wouldn't consider it cheating; it's competition legal.

EDIT: Also, drive the heels into the ground as hard as you can, no matter where you decide to place your feet. Beware of your butt coming off the bench though!

Brian Hopper
04-09-2011, 08:32 PM

Nope, it's not cheating since all feds allow it. As long as the rest of the body pretty much stays glued to the bench, then your good.

Niko_El_Piko
04-10-2011, 04:05 PM
I agree with Travis comments.
Besides that, I can see that you need to bring you shoulder blades together and tuck in your elbows. When you lower the bar, try to do that involving your lats, and do not protract your shoulders on your way up.
You put too much emphasis in your shoulder strength when you go up, instead of the triceps.
Work your triceps a lot. Especially presses (y think the best option for you is close grip floor press)

barryisawinnah
04-10-2011, 04:54 PM
I agree with Travis comments.
Besides that, I can see that you need to bring you shoulder blades together and tuck in your elbows. When you lower the bar, try to do that involving your lats, and do not protract your shoulders on your way up.
You put too much emphasis in your shoulder strength when you go up, instead of the triceps.
Work your triceps a lot. Especially presses (y think the best option for you is close grip floor press)

Thanks for the advice, I was adding in floor presses, but they weren't really close grip, i'll change them to close grip.