PDA

View Full Version : Sit back cue with squats are hurting hamstrings, need advice.

imc_1121
04-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I have started "sitting back" on the squat after doing it incorrectly for some time, the problem is, when I'm in the bottom position where the hamstrings I feel an awkward stretch in the hamstrings and the next they they hurt a little (not DOMS), like if I stretched them too much. What could be causing the problem? Is it a hamstring flexibility problem?

IronDiggy
04-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Hamstrings are probably too short if you feel them stretch at the bottom. Lots of static stretching should help.

imc_1121
04-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Hamstrings are probably too short if you feel them stretch at the bottom. Lots of static stretching should help.

Could the problem be that I'm sitting back too much?

IronDiggy
04-08-2011, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't think so. I think the only problem you could have by sitting back too much would be falling over backwards

byronsru24
04-08-2011, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't think so. I think the only problem you could have by sitting back too much would be falling over backwards

LOL...couldn't have said it better myself.

LanceGoyke
04-09-2011, 01:17 PM

Hamstring shortness, although possible, is unlikely.

It's more likely that your hamstrings are being stretched after already being in a lengthened position. It's hard to put into words without getting science-y, but you stretch them when you arch your back, then you stretch them more when you sit back.

You may be onto something when you say it feels like they've been stretched too much. Does this sound possible?

ScottYard
04-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Look into mobility work for your hips. Start foam rolling before you lift.