PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with the lift off on Squats

Parker 1995
04-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Hey guys well I have Been hitting my squats twice a week on my leg days. My squat has gona from like
185x5 to my 255x5 Now. I am doing the Lift Fine Ass to Grass had a previous Power Lifter who Benches 505 Spot me and check my form, and also A personal Trainer at my gym check. Anyways When I lift off It takes alot out of me considering its like double my weight. Do you guys have any advice on the Lift offs for squats? Thanks

barryisawinnah
04-10-2011, 02:44 PM
the lift off should be the easiest part of the lift.

Are you half squatting the weight to get it unracked or what?

Off Road
04-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Are you talking about lifting it off the saddles...or walking it out.
Lifting it off the saddles is easy. Just set them high enough so all you have to do is arch to get them off.
Walking out the squat is the harder part and you want to do it as quickly and eficiently as possible. Two steps back, square up, and start squatting. No figitting.

Brian C
04-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Unracking is not always easy. When playing with big boy weights compared to your bw, it can be a bitch sometimes. The only thing I could suggest is make sure you have a nice, tight set up. Squeeze you shoulder blades/traps together and burry your head back. Elbows down and head up. Good luck.

Parker 1995
04-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Well picking it up Knocked the wind out of me, and the stepping back considering its double my weight is a huge problem. It makes the lift harder. I feel like I have more in the tank but Im dead from the pick up.

tcooper
04-12-2011, 06:39 PM
not trying to be rude but in your sig you say you dead lift 225x 8 but squat 255x5.. are you SURE youre breaking parallel?

and with the liftoff, I myself also squat over double body weight so liftoff can be hard but you probly have it set to low. you should just be able to get under,get tight and arch up to get the weight up. check your pins and see if you can raise em up at all

barryisawinnah
04-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Unracking is not always easy. When playing with big boy weights compared to your bw, it can be a bitch sometimes. The only thing I could suggest is make sure you have a nice, tight set up. Squeeze you shoulder blades/traps together and burry your head back. Elbows down and head up. Good luck.

I didn't say it was easy, just that it should be the easiest part of the lift. Well for a raw lifter at least.

Mark!
04-12-2011, 10:54 PM
What kind of rack are you coming out of? My old squat rack seemed like it was built by someone from planet fitness, against squats completely. My new rack allows me to get in there and just raise the weight 1/2 and inch, and out. Also, check your J-Hooks, same as on the bench press, if they're too high it'll loosen everything up and you won't be able to maintain that tightness throughout the lift. It really should just be get under it, lift up a bit, as little as possible, then walk out, like OR said as minimal effort as possible, some people I've seen take 4-5 steps back, wasting energy. 2 steps back, get set, go.

joey54
04-13-2011, 05:03 AM
You are 15. Suck it up. Shit ain't supposed to be easy.

gmen5681
04-13-2011, 06:20 AM

best answer!

J_Byrd
04-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Get directly under the bar, with it in the position you want it in. Get a big stomach of air, and stand straight up. Alot of people make the mistake there of pulling back. Once you are upright, take small steps back to your squat position. Getting upright, and the walk back need to be two very different movements.

Tom Mutaffis
04-13-2011, 08:36 AM
I always lift off with a staggered stance, and try to set the pins so that the lift-off is only a 2-3" ROM (factoring in that heavier weights may compress me a bit).

BloodandThunder
04-13-2011, 11:37 AM
^^^ What Tom said. Get your feet under you and start the liftoff with your hips propping the bar off. You may have V-hooks on the rack, so the bar will be harder to lift up. Let the bar settle as it oscillates then walk back. Take your time.

Also check your bar. Ensure it has knurling and isn't bent. Chalk your upper back and wear cotton shirts (sometimes the bar slips on under-armour type fabric). Make sure you are pulling the bar into position, actively engaging your upper back.

Also, thicken your upper back up, which puts less pressure on the area.

Tom Mutaffis
04-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Also check your bar. Ensure it has knurling and isn't bent. Chalk your upper back and wear cotton shirts (sometimes the bar slips on under-armour type fabric). Make sure you are pulling the bar into position, actively engaging your upper back.

That is a very good point, a bent bar or a slick shirt can make balancing the bar while squatting quite a challenge. When I do the Yoke in strongman I actually chalk up my upper back to increase grip.

Parker 1995
04-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks for your Help guys and with that said I used your guys tips and I broke 250 today got 260x3!

Parker 1995
04-13-2011, 07:16 PM
not trying to be rude but in your sig you say you dead lift 225x 8 but squat 255x5.. are you SURE youre breaking parallel?

and with the liftoff, I myself also squat over double body weight so liftoff can be hard but you probly have it set to low. you should just be able to get under,get tight and arch up to get the weight up. check your pins and see if you can raise em up at all

Im Positive Ive had multiple People, Power Lifters, and Personal Trainers check, and I am definetly going Low enough. I have not Maxed on deads 225x8 Can go Up relativly easily I just did 275x5 Yesterday on the deads.

Niko_El_Piko
04-15-2011, 01:16 PM

+10000000

The most common error I see at the gyms, is people giving multiple small steps when unracking the bar.
Take just ONE STEP BACK. Thats it.

theBarzeen
04-15-2011, 09:13 PM
best answer!

true..... but probably the worst way to get that message across.....

a lot of it IS just your inexperience under the weight, more like a mental problem of feeling the weight as opposed to a physical problem of being able to lift the bar out of the rack.

I'd say to 1st: squat heavier, do the most weight you can get ONCE, not 3,5, or 10 times

2nd: to get you used to holding the weight do some heavy stand ups. Get under the bar and just pick it straight up for a 3-count, then put it back. you should be able to work up to something way over your squat max....