PDA

View Full Version : How many week do you normally bench equipped before a meet?

J Stottlemire
04-10-2011, 03:57 PM
This is In general. I have done 7 meets the past 15 months and wanna be out of gear for a little while, Nationals is 13 weeks away. I am pretty experienced in a shirt ( I use a single ply Katana from AndersonPowerlifting.com) and was considering going shirted for only 6 weeks prior. Opinions or thought? Thanks fellows.

kingns
04-10-2011, 06:11 PM
I only wore my shirt 3 times between my last meet and the one I just did saturday, I hit a 23 lb pr very comfortably. It all depends on how well you know your shirt and whether you need practice or need to get stronger, IMO. I remember reading George Halbert say there were times he used the shirt 0 times between certain meets.

Travis Bell
04-10-2011, 07:06 PM
We get in our shirts every 3rd or 4th week pretty much year round

vdizenzo
04-11-2011, 09:19 AM
My best equipped bench was 830 at 275. For that cycle I only wore my shirt 2-3 times in 16 weeks. I'm pretty sure it was only two. Now, I probably literally went in the shirt almost every week for years in the past. My feelling now is, if you know the groove of a shirt and can touch there's no reason to be in it constantly. I think only once every 2 months is extreme. Like Travis said, once a month. You'll notice the ws guys are strong in and out of their shirts.

AdamBAG
04-11-2011, 09:38 AM
We get in our shirts every 3rd or 4th week pretty much year round

My best equipped bench was 830 at 275. For that cycle I only wore my shirt 2-3 times in 16 weeks. I'm pretty sure it was only two. Now, I probably literally went in the shirt almost every week for years in the past. My feelling now is, if you know the groove of a shirt and can touch there's no reason to be in it constantly. I think only once every 2 months is extreme. Like Travis said, once a month. You'll notice the ws guys are strong in and out of their shirts.

I am nowhere near the level of Travis and Vincent, but I totally agree with what they are saying. I've had my best meets when I shirt up every third week. So during a 10-12 week training cycle I shirt up 3-4 times. If I get in the shirt too often I get beat up and lose the strength that I need to perform my best.

J Stottlemire
04-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks fellas its guys like you I count on for feedback. I think I may only run six weeks shirted and see what happens, I have my eyes on some big lifts and appreciate the insight. Right now I am sitting on a USPF single ply best of 633 at 220 and really wanna make a step up at Nationals.

theBarzeen
04-11-2011, 12:45 PM
I probably spend 2 or 3 weeks a month in my shirt. Once I know that I can touch a given weight 100% of the time I do a lot less work to the chest though. Mostly using 1 and 2 boards. It might just be for one or two sets at the end of a workout, but I'd rather wear my shirt too often than not enough.
The reason for this is that benching raw tears up my shoulders when I push heavy. After I hit 505 raw it took me 2 weeks to get my shoulder to stop screaming at me, whereas I can take mid 700's to the chest or 800+ to a 2 board and feel no shoulder pain..... I feel like I build a lot of my strength handling heavy weights in the shirt, but the raw work lets me work everything hard while giving my forearms and wrists a break.

ScottYard
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
I liked to do 5 week raw cycles in between 5 week shirt cycles. That way when the meet came i could deload a few weeks and rest up knowing my groove is solid

JK1
04-12-2011, 12:09 AM
2 weeks out of every 4 weeks starting 12-16 weeks before a meet. other 2 weeks is a raw work (floor presses, reverse band work or specific board work) week and a deload week, where I only work DE work.

If no immediate meet on the horizon, once a month.