PDA

View Full Version : cambered bar squats

stlpower123
04-11-2011, 04:34 PM
I did cambered bar box squats with a foam pad on the box yesterday. I found it to be very challenging and could only hit 455 including the bar weight of 65lbs. I was curious as to how much less give or take it is normal to have over a regular barbell box squat because I may have a specific weakness making me lose 50+lbs on the lift being I can box squat over 5. I felt I was able to keep my back perfectly tight and maintain form but getting off the box with it was a bitch. It was a bar like this http://train.elitefts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Rackable-Cambered-Bar-Squat-110x110.jpg

Lones Green
04-11-2011, 06:39 PM
It is normal to use less weight than on a straight bar squat for sure.

When we do them, we use a bit of a different cambered bar. Its the 14 inch giant cambered bar, not the rackable one. But sometimes we throw a block of foam on a 12 inch box, similar to what you do. Doing a lot of doubles with those and really sinking down into the foam has really helped me get stronger and faster. If you look through my log, you'll see a lot of those.

I think my PR is around 545-585 on that exercise in briefs, and max in briefs with the straight bar is around 700. We really sit down in the foam and it certainly hits your a little different. Also that bar feels like heaven on your shoulders compared to the straight bar.

stlpower123
04-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the insight. the bar is amazing for working my squat form and stability. It was really hard to unrack even with a monolift. As far as the foam, i don't feel like i got much results from box squats until i started using foam. Its rly hard to screw up form with the pad

AdamBAG
04-12-2011, 08:38 AM
50-100lbs difference wouldn't surprise me at all. The cambered bar is really unstable and it takes a lot of energy and strength just to keep it in place to squat.

ScottYard
04-12-2011, 05:52 PM
If this is the case it might be showing how week your core is. Not weak but weak in relation to your hips and legs.