PDA

View Full Version : Best Pain Reliever for Sore Muscles, Inflamation...

randyf
04-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Just wondered what most people are taking for sore joints and muscles after a workout?

Do you use something just to relieve pain or something to help with inflamation?

killxswitch
04-12-2011, 11:34 AM
I bet age plays a factor but for me I do best with recovery if I take in enough protein afterward and in general get enough to eat. Muscle soreness usually isn't bad enough to take pain meds. When I broke my toe recently I used Aleve and it seemed to do a good job.

edit: for sore joints I think a lot of people take fish oil. I tried them but didn't notice much of a difference. Then again I was 24 so maybe for someone older it would make a bigger difference.

theBarzeen
04-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Muscle soreness is to be expected, if you can't take that you are in the wrong sport....
Sore joints suck. I use fish oil, glucosamine, and lots of ice.... then more ice..... then more ice... get the point?

As far as recovery tools to flush everything out I do contrasting showers, lots of foam rolling, some deeper tissue stuff with a lacrosse ball and the rumble roller, lighter workouts and some light cardio to flush everything, and occasional deep tissue massage.... my regular massage therapist is 3 hours away and worth the drive, she used to be a brick layer...

Then just good nutrition like the poster above mentioned. Glutamine, protein, and if my joints get achy I'll get a good sodium bloat going and it can help sometimes.

ScottYard
04-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Check out ETS from Atlarge. I never have that achey feeling when im on that. For me wheat ups my imflamation. Check you diet. Do some daily mobility work too.

colinS3
04-13-2011, 06:24 PM
A lot of static stretching after a workout is a great way to help the muscles realign and recover. And if you're really sore (like painfully sore), or have an injury, then ice the spot for intervals of 20 minutes on and off until you're satisfied.

If you're injured you should do 2-3 rotations of on/off, but it doesn't sound like you're injured so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Here's a good site for stretches and other fitness related topics: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/stretchingexercises.html

Ryan Celli
04-13-2011, 08:31 PM
I like ETS, BCAA, Aleve, Fish oil.
I heard Bromelain works for inflammation. I tried it for my knee and I didn't notice anything.

C...unit
04-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Musles I personaly wouldnt take anything for, Just eat enough and eat well. Foam roll and use a tennis ball on tough areas to loosen things up. As far as joints go, use fish oil as part of a regular regiment not just when they hurt prevention sorta thing. Another thing is most of my joint pasin is due to tight muascles pulling on tendons and what not. so when you roll look for painfull spots or lumps and work tthose out. Deep tissue is good.

shawno
04-13-2011, 09:10 PM
DMSO

sfreemanii
04-13-2011, 09:22 PM
For me I find that if I up my carb intake for the next 2-3 meals after a heavy training session it really helps with DOMS. Nothing crazy as far as the carbs go, mabye around 100 grams more. Aleve seems to help alot when I am extra sore, like after any leg workout for me.

vdizenzo
04-14-2011, 05:48 AM
Muscle soreness is to be expected, if you can't take that you are in the wrong sport....
Sore joints suck. I use fish oil, glucosamine, and lots of ice.... then more ice..... then more ice... get the point?

As far as recovery tools to flush everything out I do contrasting showers, lots of foam rolling, some deeper tissue stuff with a lacrosse ball and the rumble roller, lighter workouts and some light cardio to flush everything, and occasional deep tissue massage.... my regular massage therapist is 3 hours away and worth the drive, she used to be a brick layer...

Then just good nutrition like the poster above mentioned. Glutamine, protein, and if my joints get achy I'll get a good sodium bloat going and it can help sometimes.

Check out ETS from Atlarge. I never have that achey feeling when im on that. For me wheat ups my imflamation. Check you diet. Do some daily mobility work too.

Yes and yes! These two replies hit the nail on the head in my opinion.

Tom Mutaffis
04-14-2011, 09:57 AM
I take ibuprofen occasionally for muscle strains, and in severe cases will use Aleve (naproxen - I do not take it for more than one week). If you are looking for permanent solutions then I would do some stretching, icing, and consider natural anti-inflammatory supplements such as ETS from AtLarge Nutrition.

Brian C
04-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Other than ETS which I currently use, Myogenix joint and tissue repair is a very good alternative. I know guys who swear by it.

BloodandThunder
04-14-2011, 10:55 AM
fish oil and glucosamine/chondrotin x 1000. Also light movement throughout the day will help with soreness in the hips and lower back.

Also, when I began lowering my intake of grains and starches and increasing my intake of fruits and veggies, I noticed alot less inflammation. Broscience.