PDA

View Full Version : Prawns??????????

jsingh
05-21-2002, 05:56 AM
If u read the ingredient of prawns its naturally protien. Is this a good source of protien or bad. As it consists of 98% protein this i would think is not bad, but i was told of that there are very bad due to high colestrol levels. Another story is that if u remove the brown line that is where the colestrol lies. Any answers would help:confused:

F40
05-21-2002, 06:49 AM
Supposedly, prawns are the 'cockroaches' of the sea (makes sense) - i've been told to stay away - I do.

breeze
05-21-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by jsingh
If u read the ingredient of prawns its naturally protien. Is this a good source of protien or bad. As it consists of 98% protein this i would think is not bad, but i was told of that there are very bad due to high colestrol levels. Another story is that if u remove the brown line that is where the colestrol lies. Any answers would help:confused:

I think the brown line is the stomach. eat them in moderation like everything else.

Bullrider Billy
05-21-2002, 07:37 AM
Prawns are crustaceans, like shrimp and lobsters. There is nothing wrong with any of them as a food and protein source. Originally the amount of cholesterol in shellfish was measured incorrectly. Their cholesterol content is not as bad as originally reported. Eat them and don't overthink it.

Tryska
05-21-2002, 07:48 AM
exactly. it's protein, and they taste good. the brown line is there digestive tract....remove that before cooking.

jsingh
05-21-2002, 08:36 AM
cheers, for the help i think i will still eat them. But not excessivly

Tryska
05-21-2002, 08:46 AM
ps - dietary cholestrol has nothing to do with blood cholesterol. your body wil upregulate or downregulate cholesterol production to maintain homoestasis in your lipid profile.

Tiare
05-21-2002, 10:08 AM
On a side note, many people develop allergic reactions to shellfish so if you ever start feeling bad after eating shrimp, lobster, etc be real careful (one of the most deady food allergies).

Podium Kreatin
05-21-2002, 01:45 PM
what about the mercuric content? pregnant women are supposed to stay away from certain seafoods i think

Bullrider Billy
05-21-2002, 02:17 PM
Mercury isn't a concern in shellfish. Not that I've ever heard of anyway. Mercury was a concern in the predatory fish such as tuna and swordfish, because being higher in the food chain they tend to concentrate it in their flesh. But even then, I recently read that it's not the problem that was originally reported. Seems like a lot of things were initially overblown.

Monster Muscle
05-22-2002, 01:16 PM
ehhh...roaches...:spam: of the sea..