PDA

View Full Version : Diet Advice - please critique

Huggster
05-21-2002, 06:17 AM
I was hoping you could offer me some advice on a diet regime.

I have started going to the gym 3/4 times a week and main aim is to lose weight and tone.

According to the had held body fat reader the gym has, my body fat is 24.5%, 2 weeks ago it was 29.5%

Height is 5ft 7"
Weight avg is 13st

Currently trying

7.30 - Ready break, banana and honey
10 - Tuna and Pasta, with low fat mayo
12.30 - Salad
3 - Tuna and pasta again.

not sure about the rest

My workout is mostly Cardovascular but does cover toning.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Huggy

gino
05-21-2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Huggster
I was hoping you could offer me some advice on a diet regime.

I have started going to the gym 3/4 times a week and main aim is to lose weight and tone.

According to the had held body fat reader the gym has, my body fat is 24.5%, 2 weeks ago it was 29.5%

Height is 5ft 7"
Weight avg is 13st

Currently trying

7.30 - Ready break, banana and honey
10 - Tuna and Pasta, with low fat mayo
12.30 - Salad
3 - Tuna and pasta again.

not sure about the rest

My workout is mostly Cardovascular but does cover toning.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Huggy

I'd suggest eating a couple more small meals after 3:00 - add one at 6:00 and again at 9:00. Frequent feedings speed up the metabolism to burn fat more efficiently and preserve your lean muscle mass. Replace any pasta in the diet with oatmeal or whole wheat products(tuna on wheat bread is good). Pasta is like sugar - it's not something you want to eat frequently if you want to lose bodyfat. Get some protein with every meal, so you need to add chicken or something with your 12:30 salad.

Tiare
05-21-2002, 10:22 AM
The word tone has very little meaning in this forum. You can basically bulk up muscle mass or you can cut down body fat. Sounds like you are trying to cut fat which is a great start to a new body.

I agree that a couple more meals a day will help. Also, start tracking your caloric intake and you ratio's of carbs/protein/fat. Eventually you'll figure out what works best for you and your goals. Try www.fitday.com if you want to have some help tracking it.

Start lifting weights if you can. By lifting weights you will increase your metabolism, possibly build good looking muscle and improve your overall health.

Set goals. They should be specific, measurable, realistic and time-bound.

Oh, by the way, with the body fat thing at the gym, it's not very accurate. It's a tool that tells you what direction you are going, but that's about it. 14 lbs in a stone, right?

jcybex
05-21-2002, 11:21 AM
I recommend throwing in a Balance Bar or some other nutrition bar and add that as a "meal". They also have wheat pasta now if you must have it.

Do you take vitamins/calcium pills as well?

jcybex
05-21-2002, 11:25 AM
also drink a ton of water too. at least 8 glasses a day, get rid of juice which is a killer in terms of sugar/carbs. A glass of Welch's black grape juice for instance has 42g of carbs! depending on how your body feels you might want to limit yourself to about 100g of carbs a day to lose weight. it's been working for me like a charm since I started 2 weeks ago (down 6 lbs now)

Huggster
05-21-2002, 01:51 PM
Thank you all for you help.

I dont take any vitamins, excuse my ignorance but should I?

My workout does include some weight lifting, normally 2 reps of 15 on various machines.

Again thanks for your help.

Gareth

Behemoth
05-21-2002, 02:10 PM
I think you mean 2 sets of 15 reps, a rep is everytime you complete the full motion to an exercise.

Huggster
05-21-2002, 04:34 PM
:D Sorry :) I'm new to all this, feel stupid now :P