PDA

View Full Version : lost weight but waist measurement is the same

crazyman17
04-13-2011, 11:01 AM
I starting a cutting cycle 3 weeks ago.

First 2 weeks I was having very low carb (mostly under 30g) and started doing some hiit too.

I was reading about cutting and many recommend much more carbs while cutting. so, in week 3, 1-2 hours before my workout I would eat about 90g oats, and then immediate post workout a banana with my shake and about 30min-1hr later some rice with chickpeas and tuna.

First 2 weeks I was having ~ 200g protein, I lowered my protein to about 165g a day because was told I only need 1g/pound of lean mass while cutting (I was 190 pounds about 20%bf). I also lowered my fat a bit to add the carbs, all in all my calories after adding the carbs were very similar if not the same as the first 2 weeks.

Also, My training routine has remained relatively the same. First 2 weeks I lost 2 kg, and ~9cm off my waist. 3rd week (when I added the carbs) I still lost another kilo but my waist is the same.

What should I do?

It if helps my current regime is usually

Morning - Oats and protein powder ~ 30g protein

Train - either weights or hiit, depending on the day

P/WO - Banana and shake ~ 25g protein

Brunch - Rice, chickpeas and chicken (or oats again, depending on my mood) ~ 25g protein

Lunch - 2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites, 1 can tuna ~ 35g protein

Snack - plain low fat Yogurt mixed with protein powder and walnuts ~ 30g protein

Pre-bed - Tuna with handful almonds ~ 20g protein

Usually lunch or snack is changed to a half chicken skinless with salad

The only carbs I am having are the ones around my workout. My total carb count daily would be

Behemoth
04-13-2011, 11:36 AM
You have a good approach, stay consistent with it.

As far as your weight and measurements 3 weeks isn't a whole lot of time to try to draw conclusions from. Carb intake is directly correlated to water retention. This can make a varying (carb) intake very difficult to know what is actually fat youre losing or what may just be water. Often on low carb diets people confuse rapid weightloss and water loss for more fatloss than it actually is. And sometimes vice versa for diets with a higher carb intake.

Goll65
04-13-2011, 01:34 PM
are you deadlifting?? when I started deadlifting my waist size increased even though I was losing weight and bodyfat

crazyman17
04-15-2011, 12:34 AM
thanks for the feedback behemoth,

yeh you're probably right, the addition of more carbs in the diet could have added/prevented loss of more water weight

and yes i am deadlifting about once a week, but I have been doing it for over 1.5 years now, so i doubt it would have that much an affect on me now