PDA

View Full Version : level 1 shoulder separation

chrissv
04-13-2011, 11:57 AM
I recently separated my shoulder march 9 2011 and I have been working out even though my shoulder hurts. I was wondering if I should keep working out or wait til I feel no more pain?

Sean S
04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Is the shoulder feeling better overall? I had the same thing several years ago and I simply trained around it as best I could. If a movement caused severe pain, I didn't do it. If I could feel the movement in the shoulder a bit, but it didn't make it feel significantly worse then I would keep it. Provided you don't do anything really stupid or really irritate it significantly all the time, it should heal fine with time.

colinS3
04-13-2011, 12:45 PM
You could keep training with it like Sean S said, or you could play it safe and lay off it for a little while. Plenty of stretching and 40-60 minutes of icing a day is the best way to heal it up (although never stretch when the muscles are still cold from the ice). In the long run waiting for it to heal is probably the better option because you won't have to worry about it lingering or causing any more damage than what's already done, but I know the idea of not doing anything for a month or two sounds really annoying. It's up to you.

chrissv
04-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Is the shoulder feeling better overall? I had the same thing several years ago and I simply trained around it as best I could. If a movement caused severe pain, I didn't do it. If I could feel the movement in the shoulder a bit, but it didn't make it feel significantly worse then I would keep it. Provided you don't do anything really stupid or really irritate it significantly all the time, it should heal fine with time.

Did you have a bump on your injured shoulder? If you did, did it go away?

Sean S
04-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Did you have a bump on your injured shoulder? If you did, did it go away?

I had a very small bump that is almost entirely gone now. Also remember that just because both are "grade 1" doesn't mean they are exactly identical. Mine was likely a very mild grade 1, while it sounds like yours may be a little worse but not enough to call it a grade 2. When in doubt, err on the side of doing less vs. doing more. As the previous poster pointed out, you don't want to turn it into a long-term problem. For the most part mine has not been a long-term problem, but I do have to keep up with stretching and mobility work or it can get irritated from time to time.