PDA

View Full Version : Switching to PL squats, ... and some snatch deadlifting.

Fuzzy
04-13-2011, 08:45 PM
First time in an extremely long time, almost forgot how to do it. What's sad is I found it harder doing 308x3 then front squatting 352 x2, my posterior weakness is distrubing. As per Sensei's advice, I'm going to be taking a 6-8 week break from any Olympic style squatting and getting my rear into gear (man, I'm so funny...)

FnSfnsi1hvY

And just cause its a good lift that Im proud of.
9twX_piIAk8

patricky
04-14-2011, 04:12 AM
Wondered why you used that grip then read the title lol.
Whats your conventional dead?
Dude I remember you from when you were like 14. Trying to get back to that 500 squat?

Sensei
04-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Looked good to me Fuzzy. Make sure the abs stay tight on the box. How did those feel on the knees and hips? If it were me I would consider working on just adding volume for a while rather than pushing the intensity envelope.

Fuzzy
04-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Looked good to me Fuzzy. Make sure the abs stay tight on the box. How did those feel on the knees and hips? If it were me I would consider working on just adding volume for a while rather than pushing the intensity envelope.

I think this video might be more applicable.

aTFqunLx1co

Since then I've narrowed the grip, lowered the elbows much more and brought the stance in a bit. But this seems to be the right track. I'm also aware it was a bit high, I still haven't quite learned what parallel feels like just yet.

It feels fantastic, amazing glute and hammie activating, my quads were much harder hit than I thought they would be and most importantly, I could get through it without going into the range where the knees hurt really badly. All up, an excellent switch I wish I had made sooner.

Louie Simmons is right, total strength > oly squatting. The way I see it, with my technique base and experience with Oly lifting, getting horrendously strong can only help.

joey54
04-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Get those elbows under the bar.

Sensei
04-17-2011, 09:16 AM
I think Joey's right - keeping those elbows down will help keep the lats engaged.

I still think that building up volume at a moderate intensity rather than pushing heavy singles, doubles, triples will be your best bet for the next few weeks.