PDA

View Full Version : Knee Injury w/ MRI Results

Brian Hopper
04-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Well, some of you already know but if you don't, I was doing axle cleans on 4/01/11 and I injured my knee pretty bad. As I was cleaning the weight from the top of my belly to my chest, my knee buckled and something popped. Today I got my MRI results back and the doc said I tore my ACL and there's also a slight meniscus tear. I am scheduled for surgery on May 5th and i'll probably be out for about 6 months to a year. I am not looking forward to the time off but I know I need it to make a full recovery. MY best friend Justin highly recommended that I use a cadaver graft for the ACL reconstruction and so did the doctor so that's what I am going with.

Like my man Tone B said to me, It's just another challenge I'll have to face, conquer, and move past and most importantly what ever the outcome is just keep pushing!!!

ScottYard
04-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Damn. Sorry to here that. Its always something. Im sure you can do floor presses and build your bench up in the interim. Good luck with surgery.

AdamBAG
04-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Shit Brian, sorry to hear this news. If you put as much effort into your rehab as you do your training I'm sure you'll make a great recovery.

killxswitch
04-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Ouch, that sucks. Hopefully the surgery goes well and you recover in 6 months, not a year.

GreggNJ
04-15-2011, 01:47 PM
That really really sucks man - best of luck with the surgery and recovery!

Brian Hopper
04-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Damn. Sorry to here that. Its always something. Im sure you can do floor presses and build your bench up in the interim. Good luck with surgery.
Thanks Scott, once I can start benching after the surgery I will :)

Shit Brian, sorry to hear this news. If you put as much effort into your rehab as you do your training I'm sure you'll make a great recovery.
Thanks alot Adam!!!

Ouch, that sucks. Hopefully the surgery goes well and you recover in 6 months, not a year.
Thanks killxswitch same here!!!!

That really really sucks man - best of luck with the surgery and recovery!
Thanks Gregg!!!!

shocker4221
04-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Man I'm sorry that really sucks. I hope surgery goes flawless and your back at it soon.

Brian Hopper
04-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Man I'm sorry that really sucks. I hope surgery goes flawless and your back at it soon.

Thanks alot bro, I hope so too!!!!

rinse
04-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Sorry to hear this. Good luck with your rehab and always look forward and don't feel sorry for yourself(even if it's hard). This has helped me in difficult times. Maybe there will even come something good from this down the road.

Think positive and once again good luck.

Brian Hopper
04-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Sorry to hear this. Good luck with your rehab and always look forward and don't feel sorry for yourself(even if it's hard). This has helped me in difficult times. Maybe there will even come something good from this down the road.

Think positive and once again good luck.

Thanks alot for the kind words rinse!!!!

NickAus
04-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Sad for me to read, I know how much a part of your life powerlifting is!

Like Scott said you will be able to nail the floor press etc which with bring your bench right up and you will no doubt have some fun working out your training for it.

I look forward to seeing how you do train and I know youll make the most of it!

Again, sorry to read that Tank.

Brian Hopper
04-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Sad for me to read, I know how much a part of your life powerlifting is!

Like Scott said you will be able to nail the floor press etc which with bring your bench right up and you will no doubt have some fun working out your training for it.

I look forward to seeing how you do train and I know youll make the most of it!

Again, sorry to read that Tank.

Thanks Nick!!! Yeah once I'm able to train after the surgery I'll be ok. I will go in these next few weeks and do whatever I can do. I should be able to get in at least 3 more bench sessions before my surgery.

jkstrength
04-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Sorry to hear that Brian. Sounds like you've got a good plan for recovery though. Take care of yourself so you can get back to kickin ass asap!

chris mason
04-15-2011, 09:27 PM
I hope you heal very quickly!

Mark!
04-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey Brian, just to echo what I said in your journal, keep the positive attitude bro, you'll be outta the gate in no time and hitting it hard again.

Brian Hopper
04-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear that Brian. Sounds like you've got a good plan for recovery though. Take care of yourself so you can get back to kickin ass asap!

I hope you heal very quickly!

Hey Brian, just to echo what I said in your journal, keep the positive attitude bro, you'll be outta the gate in no time and hitting it hard again.

Thanks alot guys for the support!!!!!

barryisawinnah
04-16-2011, 08:28 PM
that sucks a bunch man, hope you have a smooth and speedy recovery and come back better than ever.

You seem to have a great attitude about it, and that's half the battle right there

Brian Hopper
04-17-2011, 04:11 AM
that sucks a bunch man, hope you have a smooth and speedy recovery and come back better than ever.

You seem to have a great attitude about it, and that's half the battle right there

Thanks alot!!! Staying positive is going to help me get through this.

Kiff
04-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Sucks Brian, truely wish you a good recovery, for what it is worth i know a lot of guys that get back to normal life within a month and start lifting again in 8.

Keep your chin up and dont drop the ball man we are all in this with you!

Brian Hopper
04-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Sucks Brian, truely wish you a good recovery, for what it is worth i know a lot of guys that get back to normal life within a month and start lifting again in 8.

Keep your chin up and dont drop the ball man we are all in this with you!

Thanks alot Kiff!!!

Trust me, this chin is up brother :)

C...unit
04-17-2011, 03:01 PM
That sucks dude, I just had a freind who is in his 40's blow out his acl he came back slow and did it right but is now just about where he was pre injury . You will get back to your form again. Best of luck with recovery

Brian Hopper
04-17-2011, 03:22 PM
That sucks dude, I just had a freind who is in his 40's blow out his acl he came back slow and did it right but is now just about where he was pre injury . You will get back to your form again. Best of luck with recovery

Thanks C-Unit!!!! I'm not gonna be in a hurry that's for sure. I want this to heal up right so I can keep moving forward.

Brian Hopper
05-04-2011, 10:11 PM
12 more hours until my surgery!!!!

NickAus
05-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Again best of luck bro!!!!!

razorcut
05-05-2011, 04:44 AM
Wow....never heard of an ACL tear while doing cleans. Tough break.

I've torn both. Had one replaced with a hamstring graft, the other cadaver. The cadaver knee gives me essentially no problems. Still get some issues with the other at times......just my own anecdotal experience.

Best of luck today w/ surgery & here's hoping for your speedy recovery. Razor

Brian Hopper
05-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys!!!!

HMB_Blimpie
05-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Ouch sorry to hear that. BEST OF LUCK! HOPE U HAVE A SPEEDY RECOVERY

shocker4221
05-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Haven't checked your journal yet, but hope everything went good today.

mikesbench
05-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Sorry to hear that Brian, hope recovery goes well for you. Time to focus on some benching I guess.

Falcon63
05-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Well, some of you already know but if you don't, I was doing axle cleans on 4/01/11 and I injured my knee pretty bad. As I was cleaning the weight from the top of my belly to my chest, my knee buckled and something popped. Today I got my MRI results back and the doc said I tore my ACL and there's also a slight meniscus tear. I am scheduled for surgery on May 5th and i'll probably be out for about 6 months to a year. I am not looking forward to the time off but I know I need it to make a full recovery. MY best friend Justin highly recommended that I use a cadaver graft for the ACL reconstruction and so did the doctor so that's what I am going with.

Like my man Tone B said to me, It's just another challenge I'll have to face, conquer, and move past and most importantly what ever the outcome is just keep pushing!!!

The therapy is HARD, VERY HARD. It hurts VERY badly after surgery, but after 2 years, it'll feel normal. Yeah, it says 6 months to 1 year, but it won't feel normal until around 2 years (it won't be bad, just it won't feel normal). Also, ONCE YOUR DOCTOR SAYS YOU CAN, start rubbing the scar to loosen it up, and start practicing CAREFULLY kneeling. Believe me, if you don't, the scar will bother you.

Brian Hopper
05-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Ouch sorry to hear that. BEST OF LUCK! HOPE U HAVE A SPEEDY RECOVERY

Haven't checked your journal yet, but hope everything went good today.

Sorry to hear that Brian, hope recovery goes well for you. Time to focus on some benching I guess.

The therapy is HARD, VERY HARD. It hurts VERY badly after surgery, but after 2 years, it'll feel normal. Yeah, it says 6 months to 1 year, but it won't feel normal until around 2 years (it won't be bad, just it won't feel normal). Also, ONCE YOUR DOCTOR SAYS YOU CAN, start rubbing the scar to loosen it up, and start practicing CAREFULLY kneeling. Believe me, if you don't, the scar will bother you.

Thanks alot guys, the surgery went well. It turns out that my meniscus was fine. It was just my acl that tore. Now the fun part, lol. Thanks Falcon for the advice, the pain is slowly increasing but I feel like I have it under control by keeping up with my pain meds. I will be starting rehab sometime either next week or the following.

Falcon63
05-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks alot guys, the surgery went well. It turns out that my meniscus was fine. It was just my acl that tore. Now the fun part, lol. Thanks Falcon for the advice, the pain is slowly increasing but I feel like I have it under control by keeping up with my pain meds. I will be starting rehab sometime either next week or the following.

Yeah, it's really tough, especially once you run out of pain meds, but if you work hard, you'll get better. Also, make sure to work out both of your legs in PT. I made the mistake not to my first torn ACL, and my surgery leg ended up becoming a lot stronger than my regular leg, due to the massive amounts of lifting you do. Another thing, I'd try and avoid leg extension machines for a while. They REALLY aggravate the ACL, and it's not worth risking injury (they WILL have you do them in PT, but not heavy at all....hardest exercise to do post-torn ACL).

Brian Hopper
05-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Yeah, it's really tough, especially once you run out of pain meds, but if you work hard, you'll get better. Also, make sure to work out both of your legs in PT. I made the mistake not to my first torn ACL, and my surgery leg ended up becoming a lot stronger than my regular leg, due to the massive amounts of lifting you do. Another thing, I'd try and avoid leg extension machines for a while. They REALLY aggravate the ACL, and it's not worth risking injury (they WILL have you do them in PT, but not heavy at all....hardest exercise to do post-torn ACL).

Did you tear both of them? If you don't mind me asking, how did you tear them?

Falcon63
05-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Did you tear both of them? If you don't mind me asking, how did you tear them?

October 2009, I tore the ACL fully and my MCL partially in my left knee, and back in November 2010, I tore the ACL completely, the MCL patrially, and the MCl tore so hard that it ripped my femuris out and I had a microfracture. Did them both playing football (one in a game, one pushing someone to the ground and planting the wrong way).

Gained A LOT of strength through PT, and after only 6 months of my injury (which was FAR worse than the firs,t believe me, microfractures suck big time), I'm squatting 410. Obviously not where I want to be, as I only have 3 months until college football, but PT really does wonders if you work hard.

Brian Hopper
05-06-2011, 03:18 PM
October 2009, I tore the ACL fully and my MCL partially in my left knee, and back in November 2010, I tore the ACL completely, the MCL patrially, and the MCl tore so hard that it ripped my femuris out and I had a microfracture. Did them both playing football (one in a game, one pushing someone to the ground and planting the wrong way).

Gained A LOT of strength through PT, and after only 6 months of my injury (which was FAR worse than the firs,t believe me, microfractures suck big time), I'm squatting 410. Obviously not where I want to be, as I only have 3 months until college football, but PT really does wonders if you work hard.

Wow, that sucks bro. So you tore it twice in the same knee? How did you have the ACL replaced? Did you use a graft from your body or a cadaver? I've been told by alot of people to work out both legs so they both stay strong. How do you feel now since your last one was about 6 months ago?

Falcon63
05-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Wow, that sucks bro. So you tore it twice in the same knee? How did you have the ACL replaced? Did you use a graft from your body or a cadaver? I've been told by alot of people to work out both legs so they both stay strong. How do you feel now since your last one was about 6 months ago?

Oh no, sorry, the second my in my right knee. I personally used a graft, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it gets very sore and creates a huge scar that is still numb after 2 years and you can't kneel very well. The cadaver doesn't have these problems, and there's less pain, but you can also get STDs and it's not as strong with the cadaver. SO really, there's no "good" option, as each has it's advantages and disadvantages. If I could do it over again, this explains three methods that would've helped my decision:

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/aclrepain/a/aclgrafts.htm

covpride
05-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Glad it went well Brian, just take your time and get it better man.

Falcon63
05-06-2011, 03:29 PM

ANd my last one was much more severe, so I couldn't compare it to yours, but 6 months after my first surgery, I ran a faster 40 yard dash and shuttle time than I had ever ran, and I played my best football game my first season back, so it felt good. It gets very sore when running (mostly calves and shins from the brace having to be so tight), but after 2 years, it will feel normal again. I thought it would never feel the same, but after 1.5 years after the first one, it feels a lot better than it did 6 months ago, as it technically isn't fully-regenerated until the full 2 years.

Brian Hopper
05-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Oh no, sorry, the second my in my right knee. I personally used a graft, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it gets very sore and creates a huge scar that is still numb after 2 years and you can't kneel very well. The cadaver doesn't have these problems, and there's less pain, but you can also get STDs and it's not as strong with the cadaver. SO really, there's no "good" option, as each has it's advantages and disadvantages. If I could do it over again, this explains three methods that would've helped my decision:

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/aclrepain/a/aclgrafts.htm

Oh ok, that still sucks, lol. I went with the cadaver because I heard alot of good things about doing it that way. I'm actually glad the surgery is over with and now I can focus on rehab. Even though i'm sure it will hurt, i'm mentally prepared for whatever it will take.

Brian Hopper
05-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Glad it went well Brian, just take your time and get it better man.

Thanks alot bro, I appreciate it!!!!

Falcon63
05-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Oh ok, that still sucks, lol. I went with the cadaver because I heard alot of good things about doing it that way. I'm actually glad the surgery is over with and now I can focus on rehab. Even though i'm sure it will hurt, i'm mentally prepared for whatever it will take.

Just make sure you avoid 3 things:

Don't get addicted to pain killers, like most people do
Don't eat too much, like a lot of people
Don't barely eat, like a lot of people

Brian Hopper
05-06-2011, 03:38 PM
ANd my last one was much more severe, so I couldn't compare it to yours, but 6 months after my first surgery, I ran a faster 40 yard dash and shuttle time than I had ever ran, and I played my best football game my first season back, so it felt good. It gets very sore when running (mostly calves and shins from the brace having to be so tight), but after 2 years, it will feel normal again. I thought it would never feel the same, but after 1.5 years after the first one, it feels a lot better than it did 6 months ago, as it technically isn't fully-regenerated until the full 2 years.

Yeah, your second tear sounds horrible. But that's pretty cool your running faster, what position do you play? The doctor did tell me that it will probably be 2 years until my strength is back to normal or back to where it was. I don't think I mentioned that in the OP. But like I said, i'm ready to rehab it back. Best of luck to you and your recovery!!!

Brian Hopper
05-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Just make sure you avoid 3 things:

Don't get addicted to pain killers, like most people do
Don't eat too much, like a lot of people
Don't barely eat, like a lot of people

Ok, right now im taking the pain meds as prescribed and im trying to eat like I normally would. Thanks again for the advice.

Falcon63
05-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah, your second tear sounds horrible. But that's pretty cool your running faster, what position do you play? The doctor did tell me that it will probably be 2 years until my strength is back to normal or back to where it was. I don't think I mentioned that in the OP. But like I said, i'm ready to rehab it back. Best of luck to you and your recovery!!!

I played OL/DL in high school, but I'm most likely playing LT this fall...gotta protect the QB. And yeah, it takes most people 2 years to come back, but honestly, my surgeon told me, that's just because most people just get lazy after the surgery. But yeah, one thing I'd recommend is juicing your insurance for as much PT as they'll pay for. It sucks badly, and you'll hate going, but they work you very hard and it works.

Brian Hopper
05-06-2011, 04:00 PM
I played OL/DL in high school, but I'm most likely playing LT this fall...gotta protect the QB. And yeah, it takes most people 2 years to come back, but honestly, my surgeon told me, that's just because most people just get lazy after the surgery. But yeah, one thing I'd recommend is juicing your insurance for as much PT as they'll pay for. It sucks badly, and you'll hate going, but they work you very hard and it works.

That's cool, I played NT in high school but then stopped playing when I fell in love with powerlifting, lol. How many weeks did you go for? I think they have me going for 8 weeks and then the doctor or someone will reevaluate my knee. Also, how many weeks after the surgery until you went to rehab?

Falcon63
05-06-2011, 04:59 PM
That's cool, I played NT in high school but then stopped playing when I fell in love with powerlifting, lol. How many weeks did you go for? I think they have me going for 8 weeks and then the doctor or someone will reevaluate my knee. Also, how many weeks after the surgery until you went to rehab?

Yeah, 8 weeks..and I had to do rehab from day 1...not lifting or anything, but gradually bending my knee...that's part of rehab.

Brian Hopper
05-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Yeah, 8 weeks..and I had to do rehab from day 1...not lifting or anything, but gradually bending my knee...that's part of rehab.

So you went for 8 weeks? I probably won't be able to do rehab for another week or so. But once I can get in I will.

Falcon63
05-06-2011, 05:11 PM
So you went for 8 weeks? I probably won't be able to do rehab for another week or so. But once I can get in I will.

Yeah, around 8 weeks...but do rehab even on off days, it'll help a lot.

Brian Hopper
05-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Yeah, around 8 weeks...but do rehab even on off days, it'll help a lot.

Oh ok, I'm gonna do as much as possible. Sorry to ask you so many questions, but I do appreciate it.

shocker4221
05-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Glad everything went well in surgery man. First hurdle is over and now it's up to you to get back in the game. Like others have said, don't take the rehab lightly and go as much as possible. When I tore up my ankle and leg I didn't follow through with rehab and regret it everyday now. Hope the time flyes by for ya.

Brian Hopper
05-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Glad everything went well in surgery man. First hurdle is over and now it's up to you to get back in the game. Like others have said, don't take the rehab lightly and go as much as possible. When I tore up my ankle and leg I didn't follow through with rehab and regret it everyday now. Hope the time flyes by for ya.

Thanks buddy!!! I'll be hitting up rehab once I can get in and trust me, I won't take it lightly. Thanks again :)

Falcon63
05-11-2011, 07:28 AM
They make you start bending your knee yet?

Brian Hopper
05-11-2011, 07:54 AM
They make you start bending your knee yet?

I haven't gone yet. I'm waiting on my insurance to give the PT authorization to work on me. Hopefully I'll get in soon. I'll let you guys know as soon as I do.

J_Byrd
05-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Best of luck with the recovery. I tore my acl and mcl. The biggest issue I had was getting the range of motion back. I did nearly all my rehab on my own (another story!). I squated 700lbs in nothing but zsuit bottom, wraps and belt 7months after surgery. You will make it back fine, just keep working hard at it.

Brian Hopper
05-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Best of luck with the recovery. I tore my acl and mcl. The biggest issue I had was getting the range of motion back. I did nearly all my rehab on my own (another story!). I squated 700lbs in nothing but zsuit bottom, wraps and belt 7months after surgery. You will make it back fine, just keep working hard at it.

Thanks!!! I'm going to put 110% into my rehab. I'm ready for it, even though I know that it's going to be a rough road ahead.

Falcon63
05-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks!!! I'm going to put 110% into my rehab. I'm ready for it, even though I know that it's going to be a rough road ahead.

Oh yeah, and after your scar is noticeable, watch when random people will walk up to you and pull up their pant leg to show you theirs. It's like a club, happens ALL THE TIME to me. Pretty awesome when it's a hot girl who plays soccer (I HATE soccer, but soccer players are usually hot and have a good body). So make sure you tan your thighs for when you one day have to take over the role as the pant leg lifter.

J_Byrd
05-12-2011, 05:37 AM
Oh yeah, and after your scar is noticeable, watch when random people will walk up to you and pull up their pant leg to show you theirs. It's like a club, happens ALL THE TIME to me. Pretty awesome when it's a hot girl who plays soccer (I HATE soccer, but soccer players are usually hot and have a good body). So make sure you tan your thighs for when you one day have to take over the role as the pant leg lifter.

Haha that is very true!

Brian Hopper
05-12-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm not a one-upper, so no worries about me wanting to brag about my injury, lol. But i'll look out for them so i'll be prepared.

MikeWilliams
05-12-2011, 02:45 PM
get well soon...

Brian Hopper
05-12-2011, 02:51 PM
get well soon...

Thanks Mike!!!!

Goll65
05-12-2011, 05:30 PM
I blew out my acl and mcl on 7/21/07. I have recently hit PRs in the squat, even though I'm about 40lbs heavier, so you can do it. Problems are I have lost so much mobility, I can't run or jump anymore cause of the impact. Also the reason I'm still 40lbs heavier after almost 4yrs is I ate like normal or worse after surgery when I couldnt be active. I' ve always lifted at242, was 260 when I had my accident, balooned to well over 300, now am at about 280. I'm an easy gainer though, but if it happened again I would really be watching my intake. Just a few things I have learned from my experience. Let me know if I can help in any way. Good luck.

Brian Hopper
05-12-2011, 06:40 PM
I blew out my acl and mcl on 7/21/07. I have recently hit PRs in the squat, even though I'm about 40lbs heavier, so you can do it. Problems are I have lost so much mobility, I can't run or jump anymore cause of the impact. Also the reason I'm still 40lbs heavier after almost 4yrs is I ate like normal or worse after surgery when I couldnt be active. I' ve always lifted at242, was 260 when I had my accident, balooned to well over 300, now am at about 280. I'm an easy gainer though, but if it happened again I would really be watching my intake. Just a few things I have learned from my experience. Let me know if I can help in any way. Good luck.

Thanks bro!!! How long did it take you to actually start squatting again? And deadlifting? I will watch what I eat because even though it sounds nice, I really don't want to gain anymore weight. lol

Falcon63
05-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Just a reminder to workout both legs in PT ;)

As for my knee, I found out (after recovery) a good cardio workout that doesn't stress my knees is jump roping. Never tried it, but it doesn't hurt my knees. Obviously don't try it until you're recovered.

Brian Hopper
05-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Just a reminder to workout both legs in PT ;)

As for my knee, I found out (after recovery) a good cardio workout that doesn't stress my knees is jump roping. Never tried it, but it doesn't hurt my knees. Obviously don't try it until you're recovered.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll remember to do that. I've been doing leg raises while in bed and at the beginning they hurt my knee and now they don't . They seem to be alot easier and of course it's super easy on my good leg, lol.

Falcon63
05-15-2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks, I'm sure I'll remember to do that. I've been doing leg raises while in bed and at the beginning they hurt my knee and now they don't . They seem to be alot easier and of course it's super easy on my good leg, lol.

Yeah, leg raises were a HUGE problem for me this time around. Couldn't even get my knee off the ground one day, then the next day, I could do about 30 straight...weird

Brian Hopper
05-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Yeah, leg raises were a HUGE problem for me this time around. Couldn't even get my knee off the ground one day, then the next day, I could do about 30 straight...weird

I must of lucked out because I was able to do them the day after the surgery, just with some pain. Now the pain is finally gone so I can do them with ease now, lol.

Goll65
05-15-2011, 06:55 PM
I have always kinda stiff legged deadlifted so that didnt much change just had to get used to the pressure. As far as squatting i cant remember exactly how long it took but even once i started I only would go to 135 for the longest time then it just shot back up. the hardest part is keeping healthy. Id get to about 315 for a coule months then my knees would gt swollen or hurt and Id have to take a few weeks off then ease back into it, but lately Ive been cruising and feeling great, hopefully it lasts

Brian Hopper
05-15-2011, 07:01 PM
I have always kinda stiff legged deadlifted so that didnt much change just had to get used to the pressure. As far as squatting i cant remember exactly how long it took but even once i started I only would go to 135 for the longest time then it just shot back up. the hardest part is keeping healthy. Id get to about 315 for a coule months then my knees would gt swollen or hurt and Id have to take a few weeks off then ease back into it, but lately Ive been cruising and feeling great, hopefully it lasts

Oh ok, thanks. I know Jeremy Frey was squatting the bar 2 weeks post-op and was doing RDL with the bar also. I know it's just a bar, but it's a start. I should start PT this week so i'm sure i'll find out some more info.

Falcon63
05-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Oh ok, thanks. I know Jeremy Frey was squatting the bar 2 weeks post-op and was doing RDL with the bar also. I know it's just a bar, but it's a start. I should start PT this week so i'm sure i'll find out some more info.

Remember, work BOTH legs! Also, I'd throw in extra reps on exercises, since most physical therapists are rehabbing non-athletes, and the extra reps won't hurt. Also, be careful if they give you shock and freeze therapy. If they turn up the intensity too high it won't feel good, so you have to let them know when to stop. When you feel your leg muscles involuntarily spasming, that's when you should let them know to stop.

Brian Hopper
05-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Remember, work BOTH legs! Also, I'd throw in extra reps on exercises, since most physical therapists are rehabbing non-athletes, and the extra reps won't hurt. Also, be careful if they give you shock and freeze therapy. If they turn up the intensity too high it won't feel good, so you have to let them know when to stop. When you feel your leg muscles involuntarily spasming, that's when you should let them know to stop.

I will :) This rehab place is also a sports clinic so hopefully they'll understand my needs. Thanks for the advice!!!

J_Byrd
05-16-2011, 02:15 PM

I was about 3 weeks, but started with wall squats on my own at the gym.

Brian Hopper
05-16-2011, 07:48 PM
I was about 3 weeks, but started with wall squats on my own at the gym.

That's a good idea, If I can i'll start with wall squats. THANK!!!!

Brian Hopper
05-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Today was my first day of PT and it was pretty much an evaluation. She tested the strength in both my legs and she seemed pleased with the injured one. She had me lay down and bend my knee back as far as I could and then she moved it somemore.....and it hurt, lol. I got on a stationary bike and pretty much went back and forth slowly, because I couldn't go all the way around. That also hurt, but it's part of the rehab. She gave me about 18 exercises to do at home at least 2-3x a day. I already did one session and i'm about to do another.

I go this Thursday to see the doctor and he'll probably take out my stitches. Then I go back for my second PT appointment on Monday the 23rd.

Falcon63
05-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Well keep at it! Tear an ACL!

Would've said break a leg, but this fits the situation better.