PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a new shirt

C...unit
04-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Just wondering what some of you guys do to break in a new shirt? I just got a metal ace bencher and damn shirt is serious as hell to me anyways. I cldnt get 555 to touch a 3 brd and I wasnt comfortable going any heavier seeing as how the shirt was tearing me apart lol I got abt 4 sets in it even did some tripples and I never got it any closer to the board I would say it was 4brd territory.

Im getting a ton out of the shirt but I am really starting to wonder if I can handle this shirt, how many workouts shl I give it to break it in? any suggestions to make this process any smoother?

shocker4221
04-16-2011, 09:11 AM
I've never had a metal shirt and am new myself to shirted benching. I recently got my second shirt, a Titan SK and have been breaking it in for about a month now. I've been told to spray water on the seams after putting it on. Is your shirt a double ply? I've been working down boards and without and have only been able to touch twice in 4 weeks. One thing that i've noticed that works is after working down the boards, let the bar settle down towards your chest. This may be taxing on the body but it seems to slowly come down.

JK1
04-16-2011, 10:15 AM
If I'm breaking in a single ply shirt, I keep putting weight on it until I touch---this may not be the first workout, but it is almost always the second workout. Once I touch, I work to that weight every workout, then work off boards or whatever I've got planned that workout. I won't work with it with any boards until I've touched.

With a Multiply shirt, it takes a bit longer, I tend to work triples, working down until I get until I just about touch, then I work with singles. Again, I keep putting weight on the bar until I touch, then I work from that weight every workout. Usually I won't work boards until I've touched weight. If the shirt is throwing me all over the place, I might work a 2-3 board, but usually not. I think I need to get stable in the shirt and get the groove first before I try to do something that might not have the same groove as my competition bench. To me the most important thing with a shirt is to touch weight. If you don't touch, you won' t get a bench in at a meet.

C...unit
04-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I've never had a metal shirt and am new myself to shirted benching. I recently got my second shirt, a Titan SK and have been breaking it in for about a month now. I've been told to spray water on the seams after putting it on. Is your shirt a double ply? I've been working down boards and without and have only been able to touch twice in 4 weeks. One thing that i've noticed that works is after working down the boards, let the bar settle down towards your chest. This may be taxing on the body but it seems to slowly come down.

I actually think the ace is tripple ply in some areas? I have been using a dbl ply metal bash bencher and this shirt is much thicker and heavy duty and way more difficult to handle. I never used a super katana before so i cant compaire but firt day in the metal bash shirt I touched a 2 brd fairly easily the ace just wouldnt budge even with more and more weight.

I think if I cld have atleast hit the 3 brd I wld have been OK with that, I will try the water on the seems idea i have heard that before. I havwe a metal ace squatter and its my favorite piece oif equipment I own. I had to hang from a barbell by the straps use suite slippers the whole nine and still almpot passed out tryin to get in but now its stretched right to my body and fits perfext have no issues getting dpeth with straps down anyways, I am hoping the shirt will stretch the same but IDK those sleeves are soo damn thick lol.

I just took it to a local alteration shop and had them take abt 3/4 of an inch off the sleeves and stitch the ends up, I cldnt get the last in over my elbow had to slice it with a razor so maybe now my arm will be alittle more free.

kingns
04-16-2011, 12:42 PM
I think everyone pretty much recommends triples when trying to break it in and getting a weight to touch. I would say don't worry about touching and just do triples letting it float above the chest to try to find the groove and let the shirt stretch.
And even though I dont agree with using boards if you WERE to I would suggest doing a big foam block/manpon or soft board so when you do get to it, you can try to let it sink further and further into the board/pad

CrazyEyesPat
04-16-2011, 02:32 PM
That shirt is a pain in the ass to break in--- but once you do, it is a very very good shirt. I don't have much more to add other than what the above guys have said. Out of all the metal shirts, I find the bash to be the easiest to touch in with the most forgiving groove. The Ace gives the most carry-over and the viking gives tremendous pop off of the bottom, but not a whole lot at the top.

blong
04-16-2011, 02:47 PM
I know some guys use basketballs or footballs and inflate them to stretch out the sleeves. I 've had good luck with wetting the seams usually. I like triples off a one or 1/2 board to get use to the pressure at the bottom when touching.

C...unit
04-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Iv used the basketball deal on my squat suite worked good. I had 3/4 in cut off the end of the sleeves and stitched up today. It was really binding up my elbows as well I just got the shirt on by myself in abt 5 min using plastic subway bags lol I think this will help alot.

theBarzeen
04-16-2011, 09:09 PM
just take your time breaking it in.... it took me 6 weeks to get my 1st Overkill shirt to break in, just keep working at it. Like everyone else has said, you can wet the shirt if you want, but doubles and triples to progressively lower boards, or just letting the weight float. The big thing to remember is that you will probably have to work to pull the weight down like an upside down barbell row.

If the shirts are anything like my old ACE briefs it'll stretch out a bit after the first few workouts and get easier to work. Just put in a lot of set in it, get guys around your size to try it on too.... the more you work that material the quicker it'll break in.

JK1
04-17-2011, 12:02 AM
I know some guys use basketballs or footballs and inflate them to stretch out the sleeves. I 've had good luck with wetting the seams usually. I like triples off a one or 1/2 board to get use to the pressure at the bottom when touching.

Foot balls on the sleeves work well with some shirts. I think they leave you with a bit of a taper to the sleeve that helps lock it in. Basket balls work well with the legs on briefs/squat/deadlift suits. I personally don't like them on bench shirts, they tend to stretch too much or it seems uneven. I think because the ball doesn't inflate all the way.

Niko_El_Piko
04-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Footballs on the sleeves is a good idea.
The other good idea is to put a bar in the shirt thtough the sleeves and place it in a rack o bench, and another LOADED bar also through both sleevs, hanging from the shirt.
Spray some water and just let it hang there.

mastermonster
04-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Like Barzeen said; be patient and take your time. Progressively working down the board (even using 1/2 boards...1x's) to shorten the steps is good. One thing I've noticed with myself and the guys I've trained is that just adding more and more weight is not always the best answer. There is a point where the body will subconsciously panic under a certain weight and even though you think you're trying to lower the weight you are actually fighting to push the 'danger' (the weight) away from you. At this point back off to a weight you are more manageable with and start the regressive boards process from there. Water on the arms and chest plate helps. Personally, I'd wait til this process stalled (if it does) before I stretched the sleeves. If they don't really need to be stretched to get it down it will cost you some pounds if you stretch it. Good luck