PDA

View Full Version : From walkout to Monolift

Bob
04-16-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm doing a PL competition soon where the squat will be be from a Monolift...
I've always walked out my squats from a rack in competition..
And I don't have a monolift to practice with..

So #1, is there a way to take advantage of the monolift/non-walkout and increase my squat?

#2.. is there a way to practice without a monolift?

#3.. any tips on setting my feet under the bar on a monolift? I'm used to chest up, belly full of air.. explode straight up out of rack with a shoulder width stance, then 1 (right foot), 2 (left), 3 (right) steps back to be in a wider PL lifting stance... then grab another belly full of air, head up to signal the head judge, then squat..

Thx...

kingns
04-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Ive only used a monolift on two occasions, both times competing. THe first time it didnt throw me off I just found that after unracking the weight I had to slide my feet a little bit before descending, but this last time it felt totally natural and sooo much nicer than walking it out. You can take your breath, unrack and descend rather than having to take another after walking out. I would say the only thing you need to practice is setting your feet as wide as you will squat, when you unrack it so you dont feel the need to slide them out farther after you unrack it.
Monolifts are awesome.

ScottYard
04-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Do exactly what you do but with out the steps. its very easy. Dont complicate it. Most people fear the monolift and then realize on the first warm up how simple it is. If you want to practice. Take a rack, set pins at typical bar height. get set then have your partners pull the pins out. Squat then have them rack the pins. Do it with some lighter type weights a few weeks out.

Youll be fine. and you can walk the weight out if you want to. Just let the spotters know so they will step back.

mastermonster
04-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Do exactly what you do but with out the steps. its very easy. Dont complicate it. Most people fear the monolift and then realize on the first warm up how simple it is. If you want to practice. Take a rack, set pins at typical bar height. get set then have your partners pull the pins out. Squat then have them rack the pins. Do it with some lighter type weights a few weeks out.

Youll be fine. and you can walk the weight out if you want to. Just let the spotters know so they will step back.

This!

theBarzeen
04-16-2011, 09:04 PM

...this!

Bob
04-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys for the answers.. make sense...
However, I should have qualified 2 of the questions..

The monolift will have those Spud straps that prevent the dropping... so I'm not sure I would be allowed to walk out the squat?

And, unfortunately, I don't squat in a cage.. I use a stupid commercial gym with one of those slanted frame squat racks, so you have to walk out at least 12-16 inches to be able to squat.
I know the real answer is to find a real PL gym... but it's not in the cards right now.
But I think I can borrow your idea, set the squat to a lower pin on the slanted frame, set my feet in a PL wide stance and squat it up to see if it feels right..
Not sure, but any others ideas appreciated..
Thx..

Brian C
04-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Then just walk out the weight if your more comfortable. Strap/chains can be moved off the bar so you can walk it out. You probably won't be the only one.

JK1
04-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys for the answers.. make sense...
However, I should have qualified 2 of the questions..

The monolift will have those Spud straps that prevent the dropping... so I'm not sure I would be allowed to walk out the squat?

And, unfortunately, I don't squat in a cage.. I use a stupid commercial gym with one of those slanted frame squat racks, so you have to walk out at least 12-16 inches to be able to squat.
I know the real answer is to find a real PL gym... but it's not in the cards right now.
But I think I can borrow your idea, set the squat to a lower pin on the slanted frame, set my feet in a PL wide stance and squat it up to see if it feels right..
Not sure, but any others ideas appreciated..
Thx..

What fed are you competing in? The one's I'm aware of that routinely use the spud straps also allow walkouts, you just need to tell the spotters ahead of time so they are prepared.

Couple of things to think about too... unracking a bar and setting up with squat racks is a different motion than unracking with a monolift. If you watch people get under the bar with squat racks, they tend to be just a bit forward, with the bar actually in front of to just over their toes, and in some cases looking down when they take the weight. Then as they step back, they stabilize themselves and look up. I've seen it repeatedly at meets where people who are used to walking out try to set up that way and then end up pitching forward and missing the lift when they don't correct the forward lean needed to unrack the weight in the monolift.

With a monolift, you need to get your upper body set, with your head in the position you have it when you normally squat. Your feet should be setup basically so that your arches are directly under the bar (this will vary a bit with different people with different sized shoes), but you want to be under the bar, not behind it. Then you basically flex the glutes/hips to straighten the legs slightly and raise the bar enough that the j-hooks can move out. You don't ever change the upper body/head position like what happens with a walkout. Once you unrack, you should be at step 4 of what you normally do with a walkout, where you are ready to break at the hips and begin your descent.

JK1
04-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Then just walk out the weight if your more comfortable. Strap/chains can be moved off the bar so you can walk it out. You probably won't be the only one.

Yup, that's probably the best thing with what has been posted in this thread.

joey54
04-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Just walk it out. Let your spotters know. Don't step too far back though, you might wind up hitting the chains at the bottom. Happened to me twice today.

theBarzeen
04-17-2011, 07:43 PM
I'd give 2 options....

I think that the best one has already been said: just ask ahead of time to have the straps moved so you can walk it out.

the second option would be to practice in whatever rack you have. Get under the weight with your squat stance and stand up.... it takes a lot of fine tuning when the weights get extreme, but for a meet earlier in a lifter's career you might be able to just set up in the monolift and squat..... you could always try at weigh ins, just set up with the bar and have a buddy pull the rack, you'll have to get your rack height from it anyways.