PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition during deload weeks/time off

bloodybob
04-16-2011, 09:52 PM
When taking a week or more off from the gym, is the best nutritional decision to simply eat at your maintenance?

Behemoth
04-16-2011, 10:49 PM
It can depend. But in general, yes.

bloodybob
04-17-2011, 04:19 PM
On what?
Let's say when you get back in the gym you want to have experienced a minimal loss in strength.

tcooper
04-17-2011, 04:31 PM
id say most of the time if you just take a week off you come back to the gym stronger, not weaker. thats from my experience. I also ate as if i was still going

Behemoth
04-18-2011, 02:52 PM
On what?
Let's say when you get back in the gym you want to have experienced a minimal loss in strength.

On goals.
If body composition is not a concern then eating hypercaloric (above maintenance) would certainly assist in greater recovery during the week and potentially more strength maintained.

Allen Cress
04-19-2011, 08:48 AM
For myself and my hard training clients, when they take a week off its a week off from everything. Now this doesn't mean a free for all on food, but I don't want them measuring and worry about if they get 3 or 6 meals in a day. It should be amental break as well as a physical. Also if you have been eating point on with your diet then eating more than usual will help in recovery for the week and recharge you to get going again. I am actuall getting ready to take all next week off from everything and I will enjoy some good home cooking as well as some quality restaurant food, not fast food garbage. Ig I gain any weight once I go back to my nutrion plan I am back down by the end of the week I start back. If you do things right you program your body ti be very effcient and it basically remembers where it was and returns to that state.

If you take a week off be sure to gradually work your way back into training the first week.

Hugol
04-19-2011, 11:47 AM
On your guys experience how often should a person take a week off? Or does it all depends on how your body feels? Thanks

Allen Cress
04-19-2011, 12:11 PM
On your guys experience how often should a person take a week off? Or does it all depends on how your body feels? Thanks

It depends on how your body is reacting to your current program and how demanding it is, as well as the intensity you are putting into it.

In general I give my hard training athletes 5-10 days off every 10-16 weeks depending on their bio-feedback.

Hugol
04-19-2011, 12:14 PM
It depends on how your body is reacting to your current program and how demanding it is, as well as the intensity you are putting into it.

In general I give my hard training athletes 5-10 days off every 10-16 weeks depending on their bio-feedback.