PDA

View Full Version : meet results for my meet, and a new all time world record

gopostal42
04-16-2011, 10:27 PM
meet report

after a nasty cut down from a peak or 201lbs and down to 181 and back up to 200 i was actually feeling damn good for the first time after a big cut in a long time i'll spare the bs and get to the lifts

squats
opener 825 good
2nd 875 good smoked it fast
3rd 935 good all time world record. i absolutely flipped out after this lift. i finally found myself having a lot of fun at a meet again. soaked it up as much as i could!

bench
opener 225 raw good - longest pause in pl history
2nd 450 good smooth but my shoulders felt dead
3rd 500 not so much

deadlift
opener 615 good 2000 total
2nd 665 good 2050 total
3rd 700 nope, just dead then.

huge gigantic thanks to all the stratifamilia underground training crew for the support forever. big thanks to brian carroll for his grand wisdom on his meet prep cycle and answers to my random inquisitions. also big thanks to laura phelps sweatt for the weight cutting regiment that got me down 20lbs.

today i achieved the #1 goal i set for myself back when i was in high school for my powerlifting career and it feels damn good! now back to the 98's and actually fill out!

MarcusWild
04-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Congrats! That's awesome.

ScottYard
04-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Congrats. Especially after a big weight cut.

Brian C
04-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Congrats Derek! 20 lb cut is impressive alone let alone hitting that squat.

Kiff
04-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Awesome work mate well done!

gopostal42
04-17-2011, 01:34 PM
thanks guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6HyXj_O47M

Brian Hopper
04-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Congrats Derek, that's a huge squat and total @ 181!!!!

joey54
04-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Fantastic lifting!

Sean S
04-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Congrats! It's still hard to believe that skinny kid that showed up to the gym one day is now a WR holder.

blong
04-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Awesome total and squat, can't wait to see what you total when if you don't cut so much and "fill out".

gopostal42
04-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Congrats! It's still hard to believe that skinny kid that showed up to the gym one day is now a WR holder.

thanks man, it was from the help of guys like you who took the time to fix the dumb shit i did back then.

entropy1
04-19-2011, 07:49 AM
im sorry but;
- those squats looked high
- how can you claim a world record when powerlfiting doesnt have any unity amoug federations?

Big_Byrd52
04-19-2011, 09:53 AM
congrats Derrik, u have come a long way!!

theBarzeen
04-19-2011, 10:54 AM
im sorry but;
- those squats looked high
- how can you claim a world record when powerlfiting doesnt have any unity amoug federations?

The fact that you pissed off a raw or single-ply nazi just makes you r World Record better.

Congrats man.

oh, and I already forwarded the videos posted of the 935 to the 181'er on my team to get his butt in gear....

J_Byrd
04-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Congrats man! What did you do to make the weight cut?

4g64fiero
04-19-2011, 03:41 PM
The perspective of this video is causing alot of hate, but you can see the crease of the hip go to the top of the knee so I would call it good. Your form is impressive man.

PS Devildriver is the shit. I read your sig on bb.com haha....

entropy1
04-19-2011, 11:36 PM
The fact that you pissed off a raw or single-ply nazi just makes you r World Record better.

Congrats man.

oh, and I already forwarded the videos posted of the 935 to the 181'er on my team to get his butt in gear....

im not even a powerlifter, i just use some techniques of powerlifting and follow it a litte. Im just amussed at all the "world records" suddenly falling and the squats just getting higher and higher

theBarzeen
04-20-2011, 08:36 AM
im not even a powerlifter, i just use some techniques of powerlifting and follow it a litte. Im just amussed at all the "world records" suddenly falling and the squats just getting higher and higher

that's even better!

You don't even compete and you suddenly have a stake in someone putting up big weight.....

the way I figure it: The briefs do at least 300# of the work for him, the suit another 300#. The knee wraps add 85 lbs and the belt another 100#..... that means he only squatted 150 lbs by himself!

Bro, you are way stronger than that. Why don't you get in to gear and smash his record?

mikesbench
04-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Congrats Derek. Always knew you'd get a WR squat.

ThomasG
04-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Nice deads

Tim K
04-20-2011, 05:38 PM
I gotta hate on the squat... 935 lbs at 181, c'mon, you didn't leave any room for the rest of us to ever touch that squat! Awesome lifting! Congrats on the World Record - well deserved!

entropy1
04-21-2011, 01:12 AM
that's even better!

You don't even compete and you suddenly have a stake in someone putting up big weight.....

the way I figure it: The briefs do at least 300# of the work for him, the suit another 300#. The knee wraps add 85 lbs and the belt another 100#..... that means he only squatted 150 lbs by himself!

Bro, you are way stronger than that. Why don't you get in to gear and smash his record?

i can read a rule book, and can see what parrallel is

Tim K
04-21-2011, 08:14 AM

You might be able to read what the definition of parallel means, but apparently you cannot spell it. Nor are you a competitor, so your experience with determining parallel is questionable. Believe it or not, a judging official does not show up on meet day, sit in a chair, and start judging depth. The judges aren't internet warriors... they have a minimum of experience and training behind their officiating.

Furthermore, it is impossible to judge depth from an internet video taken from the front. Even the head judge, who is sitting in the best possible location to determine depth from the front, generally gives a lifter the benefit of the doubt on depth. That is because judging depth from the front sucks. That is why you have side judges.

In conclusion, no, you do not know how to call depth on a squat. Frankly, you are unqualified to be a judge. In addition, the very fact that you believe you can call depth from a front biased video shows how inexperienced you are.

And why do you even care? You've said yourself you are not a powerlifting and do not compete. Yet you feel compelled to come here and denigrate a man's great achievement? Does it make you feel like an expert to espouse your unqualified opinion? Is there some deep seated insecurity that makes you comment on matters of which you know little?

If you don't have constructive criticism or positive reinforcements, don't say anything.

byronsru24
04-21-2011, 02:06 PM

I'm going to put my 2 cents in here...

When I first saw the video I also thought it was high. Like a good 2+ inches. Derek has even SAID it looked high on another forum. I've known Derek for more then a few years now, and every squat I've seen of his looked like it was to legal depth, until this one.

HOWEVER, I wasn't at the meet in the side judges chair. His training partners called his depth, and I'm pretty sure its the same group of guys that he's been training with for some time who have called his depth at plenty of other meets. If the judges say it was a good lift then it was a good lift in my book.

To top it off, I'm pretty sure if Derek thought it was NOT a good lift, he's man enough to tell the judges to turn it down. He's worked real hard to get where he is, and to my knowledge he has never been given a gift. He trusted his handlers to call his depth, and if the judges agree with it, then thats the end of it. End of discussion, end of story.

I can also read a rulebook, and it states in there for a lift to be good, you need 2 of the 3 judges to give you a white light on the lift...which Derek got. So if you don't like it, too bad. Maybe instead of comming into this thread degrading his accomplishment, you should try and get in contact with the judges and tell THEM about your "concerns".

And lastly, if your not a competitive lifter, why do you even care enough to post in here?

gatorman2k6
04-21-2011, 05:25 PM
To top it off, I'm pretty sure if Derek thought it was NOT a good lift, he's man enough to tell the judges to turn it down.

That's pretty funny. Do you really think someone is going to turn down a "world record" just because they think the judges gave them a gift?

byronsru24
04-21-2011, 05:28 PM
That's pretty funny. Do you really think someone is going to turn down a "world record" just because they think the judges gave them a gift?

Obviously you don't know Derek. If he thought that was the case I"m pretty sure he'd voice his opinion about it. He hasn't. That means he agrees with the judges. Again, end of discussion.

gatorman2k6
04-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Obviously you don't know Derek. If he thought that was the case I"m pretty sure he'd voice his opinion about it. He hasn't. That means he agrees with the judges. Again, end of discussion.

I don't know him, but he did say on another forum that he thought it was high, so according to you, he should tell the judges he thought it was high.

In the end, nothing will happen and hopefully he and Cartinian can have a nice battle at 198 at the Pro/Am.

gopostal42
04-21-2011, 06:36 PM

yeah i would. i've actually talked to several friends whom i trust a lot in this sport about this possibility. i've judged at meets with people squatting almost as wide as i do and i know the perspective changes drastically. i've passed lifts before that i later saw video from the front and thought "holy shit, was this even the same meet i was at?". as i've said to others ray charles wasn't judging that day even though he was invited (declined due to a case of the death) and the guys on the sides weren't blind. they called what they saw the best they could. the main reason i'm not going to turn this down is that honestly, i could've taken it lower just as easily. if not for that fact i wouldn't sleep very well and would most likely turn it down.

oh and from the last time i talked to mike he said he was dropping back to 81's in august and i don't plan on ever going back down unless i get sick and drop weight or something. i haven't cut weight like that in over 2 years and there's a good reason for it, it fucking sucks. i look forward to seeing what he'll do, i wouldn't bet against him squatting 1k at 181! the real battle will be between him and Al who i think is due for a huge day. i'd never bet against him either!

theBarzeen
04-21-2011, 06:48 PM
If you don't have constructive criticism or positive reinforcements, don't say anything.

This.... is...... right...... and put much nicer than I did. Well done Tim.

If you want to just hate on people there's always outlawpowerlifting.com

gatorman2k6
04-21-2011, 06:51 PM
yeah i would. i've actually talked to several friends whom i trust a lot in this sport about this possibility. i've judged at meets with people squatting almost as wide as i do and i know the perspective changes drastically. i've passed lifts before that i later saw video from the front and thought "holy shit, was this even the same meet i was at?". as i've said to others ray charles wasn't judging that day even though he was invited (declined due to a case of the death) and the guys on the sides weren't blind. they called what they saw the best they could. the main reason i'm not going to turn this down is that honestly, i could've taken it lower just as easily. if not for that fact i wouldn't sleep very well and would most likely turn it down.

oh and from the last time i talked to mike he said he was dropping back to 81's in august and i don't plan on ever going back down unless i get sick and drop weight or something. i haven't cut weight like that in over 2 years and there's a good reason for it, it fucking sucks. i look forward to seeing what he'll do, i wouldn't bet against him squatting 1k at 181! the real battle will be between him and Al who i think is due for a huge day. i'd never bet against him either!

Fair enough, and for the record, I never said it was high, I just didn't think that someone would turn down a world record just because they thought the judge gave them a gift. Thanks for the info on Mike too and you are right about it being a nice battle between him and Caslow.

gopostal42
04-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Fair enough, and for the record, I never said it was high, I just didn't think that someone would turn down a world record just because they thought the judge gave them a gift. Thanks for the info on Mike too and you are right about it being a nice battle between him and Caslow.

no worries, it does look high on the video. perspective looks horrible from the front for people that squat that wide.

i know jason coker did on a bench he had at 181.

BloodandThunder
04-22-2011, 01:24 PM
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/9031

I believe the APF turned down his request though, so that 771 is still the APF Record (and unofficial alltime WR)
However, Soong recognizes the 750 by Fry as the Official All-Time WR.

bald bull
04-22-2011, 03:08 PM
good stuff nice work!!! Thats really impressive weights for your weight class.