PDA

View Full Version : Testosterone Replacement Therapy and Drug Testing

AZBengoshi
04-17-2011, 05:30 PM
All:

I will be starting testosterone replacement therapy soon and have a quick question. Can I still compete in the WABDL, or will such therapy result in failed drug tests? (Please assume my test levels will be within normal limits and that bioidentical hormones like cypionate will be used.)

Thanks for your feedback.

icedutah
04-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Pretty sure you will fail. They do a pee test. Can't test your test level with a pee test, only blood. So even though your levels are probably normal. You may fail due to your ratio (epitestosterone/testosterone) being off. Since when taking test via gel or injections your body won't produce epitestosterone like it does when your body produces natural test.

UncleAl
04-18-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't think any drug tested federation gives exemptions for HRT.

ThomasG
04-18-2011, 06:20 PM
There was already a big thread on this. The answer is yes, you still can. Someone has already spoken to Gus(Head chairman of wabdl) personally on this issue.

Even the super picky IPF has TUE(Theoputic Use Exemptions). It depends on the fed. I began HRT in 2008 and when I did, I stopped competing in tested feds, except the WABDL. I contacted Gus to explain to him why I was not going to compete in WABDL anymore. During the discussion he said that he didn't really care if I was on HRT as long as I could pass the test. He now tests me at every meet(unless I bomb). I even got tested for getting a 2nd place once.

When I compete in Feds that have a nontested division(UPA/UPA-AD and APF/AAPF), I compete in non-tested. I just feel like Travis, that I'm not "natural" even though the HRT is putting my test in a "normal" range. I think it's just a moral issue with me. That being said, I am still very competitive with anyone my age, jacked or not. If you have a choice, lift non-tested. If you aren't competitive, it will just give you the drive to train harder.

stlpower123
04-19-2011, 04:02 PM
still gives an unfair advantage imo since ppl can come off a cycle and cruise. plenty of other options to compete untested...

AZBengoshi
04-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks Thomas--I found the prior threads. Very helpful--thanks again.