PDA

View Full Version : Registered for 1st powerlifting meet

LouPac
04-17-2011, 11:14 PM
It's the IPA Europa Battle of Champions in Hartford, CT on 7/30.

I'll be the ripe old age of 39 when I compete for the first time. I'll be lifting in the Raw division. Any advice for this n00b here?

jtteg_x
04-18-2011, 12:23 AM
first meet? i say have fun with it and consider it an experience to get your feet wet. competing raw makes it less stressful since you wont have to worry about the gear working right. i remember doing my first meet...i was quite nervous.

lxyaini789
04-18-2011, 01:29 AM
The first time I saw I was also very nervous

Mark!
04-18-2011, 05:46 AM
My first meet is about a month after yours, and find myself thinking about it all the time, thinking about what it's gonna be like. I'm stoked and excited. I'm sure once it gets closer to go time I'll be nervous, but right now I'm bustin my ass to make sure I meet my goals. Good luck man.

LouPac
04-18-2011, 06:06 AM
My first meet is about a month after yours, and find myself thinking about it all the time, thinking about what it's gonna be like. I'm stoked and excited. I'm sure once it gets closer to go time I'll be nervous, but right now I'm bustin my ass to make sure I meet my goals. Good luck man.

Thanks, you too!

AdamBAG
04-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Just enjoy yourself. Open light. Make sure to eat and hydrate. It could be a really long day.

SplitQuick
04-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I saw a great video from Dave Tate talking about your first meet. His advice was basically...

Open with something you know you can do for a triple in the gym. You don't want to fail your first lift, you want numbers in the books, even if they're lower numbers. Then, if your first lift goes great, decide on your 2nd and 3rd lifts. Have fun with it. You just want to get your first meet over with, and get the meet jitters out. :P
His main point was to not overthink it. Don't worry about eating a specific amount of calories/timing on eating etc. Eat some breakfast, get some lunch, make your lifts, and call it a day.

theBarzeen
04-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Open with something you know you can do for a triple in the gym. You don't want to fail your first lift, you want numbers in the books, even if they're lower numbers. Then, if your first lift goes great, decide on your 2nd and 3rd lifts. Have fun with it. You just want to get your first meet over with, and get the meet jitters out. :P
His main point was to not overthink it. Don't worry about eating a specific amount of calories/timing on eating etc. Eat some breakfast, get some lunch, make your lifts, and call it a day.

THIS!

The only thing I'd add is to be careful about what you eat. If you always have steak before you train then eat steak, if you always have pasta then eat pasta..... the only thing worse than bombing out is doing a meet with diarrhea......

LouPac
04-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Do they usually sell food at the meets?

hoot
04-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Do they usually sell food at the meets?

You can always take a cooler and fill it with your favorite foods, snacks, H2O, whatever.