PDA

View Full Version : How fast can you gain weight?

baja_stx
04-18-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm coming up on a 40 pound loss, but was thinking of having a major cheat day this Easter Sunday. I know the answer is going to vary from person to person, but in general, how fast can the body actually put on fat? I was thinking of consuming in the ball park of 4-5k calories in comparison to my daily 2.2-2.3k. I know the scale is going to jump up a few pounds, but how much of this will be retained water and bloating weight vs. actual fat?

I love Breyers ice cream and they have some new flavors out that I want to try.

The day (Monday) after Easter I was going to try Velocity out for at least 2-weeks (1800 calories) and at the end of the two weeks decide if I want to run it a month or go back to CKD.

Behemoth
04-18-2011, 02:42 PM
If you're consuming dietary fat? A lot. Breyers has fat free in the three basic flavors that are very good.

thatNUCKOLSkid
04-18-2011, 02:44 PM
if you ate 5k, you'd only be at about 2.8k over your usually daily intake (using the numbers to give you the largest possible spread). it takes an additional 3500 calories over BMR to gain a pound. so just looking at the numbers, you'd gain maybe 2/3 of a pound of fat from a 5k splurge at most, counting on the very worst case scenario.

you've lost 40 pounds, and it's easter. take a break. :)

Behemoth
04-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Here's the first article that comes to mind:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html

I will find you something relevant in a few minutes here on overeating heavily on only carbs vs overeating on carbs and fats

Edit - Check PM.

Dan Fanelli
04-18-2011, 03:58 PM
One day isn't going to anything really if it TRULY stays at one day. If you need a "refeed" then shorter more frequent ones or a longer 3-5 day one would be what most people do.

Also, no reason to load up on fat. 100-150g for the day would be fine, but i'd try to keep everything else protein and carbs.

Behemoth
04-18-2011, 04:12 PM
One day isn't going to anything really if it TRULY stays at one day. If you need a "refeed" then shorter more frequent ones or a longer 3-5 day one would be what most people do.

Also, no reason to load up on fat. 100-150g for the day would be fine, but i'd try to keep everything else protein and carbs.

An ideal refeed would contain less than 50g of fat for the day. On the other hand in an all out binge session an extremist may consume 500g of fat.

So I wouldn't call 150g "fine" in the terms of an optimal "refeed" (but that's not even what this thread was about so we're both somewhat off topic here). I have a hard time saying that 150g of fat on a "cheat day" is fine because it's still a cheat day and causing some damage. But all things considered, if it is a "cheat day" where one is diverging from his or her intended dieting tactics then 150g fat on a cheat day would be...errr.... uhh... fine

baja_stx
04-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Behemoth - Thanks for the PM.

From the sounds of it... I should be ok to pig out on Easter. I've been very strict for the past 10 weeks and haven't cheated at all... as of this morning I was down 37.5 pound and I'm hoping to hit 40 by Sunday. I've been doing CKD and I actually should eliminate the C because I haven't been cycling/refeeding. I just stick to my daily numbers for fat and protein and keep carbs under 20g (subtracting fiber from carbs).

I've never tried the Velocity Diet, but it sounds pretty tough from what I read. Timing will work well for me after Easter, so I'm going to give it a try. I can run with it for up to 5 weeks, but I want to evaluate how things are coming along after 2 weeks.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

baja_stx
04-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Perhaps I should create a new thread for this question...

Which would be a better choice to add to my Velocity shakes for fiber? Flax Meal or Benefiber?

Dan Fanelli
04-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Why do you need extra fiber? If you are following the diet and taking fish oil you should be fine. If anything just take benefiber separate from your shakes 1-2x per day if needed.

Edit: Oh wait, the v-diet doesn't have unlimited green veggies throughout the day does it? If not, then what I said above doesn't make sense.

baja_stx
04-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Nope, just 5 shakes per day in addition to fish and flax seed oil... pretty much zero fiber from those sources.

Dan Fanelli
04-19-2011, 08:37 AM
What about ground psyllium husks?

baja_stx
04-20-2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks Dan - I've never heard of psyllium.

Quote from NOW Foods:
"Psyllium is a true dietary fiber, even though it is classified by some as a laxative or mucilaginous fiber, and is a convenient way to increase intake of dietary fiber because of its high mucilage content. This bulking agent swells considerably when added to liquid, which can help to support healthy gastrointestinal transit time. This bulking action and healthy transit time can play an important role in maintaining healthy gastrointestinal function."

Is this pretty much tasteless if added to a shake? The idea that it swells when added to liquid appeals to me... I like my shakes a bit thicker. Do you think this would bulk up a shake more than flax meal?

Unfortunately, just last night I ordered a 1 month supply of Golden Flax Seed Meal.

I've never tried flax meal either. Does anyone know the numbers for soluble vs. insoluble fiber?