PDA

View Full Version : Rack pull cycle?

Dan Fanelli
04-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Wondering if you guys could suggest a rack pull cycle for me (preferably 3 weeks).

So last week I did 425 x 5
This week I ramped up to an "easy" 1RM of 465
Then I was thinking of just beating the 465 next week with a true 1RM.

Is this enough variation, or should I use some kind of percentages and just stick with singles?

Hobo Beard
04-19-2011, 10:35 PM
I have done a variation of the 5-3-1 system.

week 1: 85% of training max
week 2: 90% of training max
week 3: deload (no pulls)

While this jacked both my back and deadlift, I think I got a slight pull in my abs from it.

Rack pulls allow for such heavier weights to be pulled, so whatever you do--be mindful of that.

NickAus
04-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Use the conjungate method for the deadlift..........helps stop overtraining.

Pick 6 or 7 variations of pulls and max on one each week (can do 3s if you want more size).

This is the best way to get your pull/rack pull up IMO, I have added 170lb to my block pulls in around 6 months.......100 to my comp pull.

Only my opinion based on trying many methods.

ScottYard
04-20-2011, 05:39 AM
Rack pulls can be done heavy but for most people dont have big carryover. They let you start in a unrealistic position totally different to that of a deadlift at that portion of the lift. Try some banded deadlifts and various lower block heights. Like nick said. Switch things up.

Tom Mutaffis
04-20-2011, 06:23 AM
I agree with Nick and Scott about the variation on deadlift, it is easy to over-train if you are doing standard pulls every week - and even more so with rack pulls since they are more of an 'overload' movement. Depending on where you are pulling from the rack pulls could also involve more legs than back which does not sound like it would be ideal for you based on the other thread that you posted about looking to gain mid-back size.

Also, if you are talking about 15" deadlifts (below knee) or something similar then it is a much different story than 19-20" deadlifts (above knee).

My advice would be to alternate between deficit pulls, pulls against bands, rack/block pulls, etc.

BloodandThunder
04-20-2011, 08:00 AM
IF you are deadset on doing a rack pull cycle, look up Brad Gillingham's 5x5 routine/DL routine. His DL routine there rotated progessively lower rack pulls and speed deadlifts each week. Obviously strengthening your hip extension by partial range lifts is good, but so is training yourself to pull faster through your sticking point.

Dan Fanelli
04-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I think i'll give this a try:

Week 1: Rack pull below knee 3x3 or 3RM
Week 2: 6" block pull to a 1-3RM
Week 3: Deficit deadlift(or SG) 2x10 or 10RM

And if needed I can throw bands in on the block pulls or deficit deads. I'll see how that works.

joey54
04-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Dan, you could do the 5x5, pull from the floor 1 time per week and your deadlift(along with all lifts) will shoot up big time. Just need to take a few steps back, start out light, stay consistent, and get after it.

Obvioulsy the other advice is good as well, but sometimes simpler is better.

Dan Fanelli
04-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Joey. I'll definately want to give 5x5 or 3x5 a try in the future, but think I should weight until im "bulking" again, or at least eating enough to support that kind of volume.

Im currently trying ot get a bit leaner, so have cut back nutrition wise, and upped my conditioning quite a bit. It seems to be working pretty well, I just have to keep an eye on the volume and rest when needed.

I'll look more into the 5x5 routine mentioned above after this "cut" is over.

SELK
04-20-2011, 08:55 PM
What I have done with success (bringing my pull from 666lbs to 738lbs, and i am likely good for more now) is this:

week 1: 3x3 off of blocks
week 2: 3rep max off of blocks
week 3: 1rep max off of blocks
deload

then lower the blocks buy about 2 inches and start at week 1 again. The first time my training crew tried this, but the end we were pulling the same weights off of a 3 inch block as what we started with on a 6 inch block.

NickAus
04-20-2011, 09:32 PM
What I have done with success (bringing my pull from 666lbs to 738lbs, and i am likely good for more now) is this:

deload

then lower the blocks buy about 2 inches and start at week 1 again. The first time my training crew tried this, but the end we were pulling the same weights off of a 3 inch block as what we started with on a 6 inch block.

I am going to try that at some stage.

Dan Fanelli
04-20-2011, 10:14 PM

deload

Sounds interesting. Im a little confused how you went from 6" blocks to 3" blocks.

So if my max deadlift is about 425, and from a 2" block I can do about 435, and from a 6" block I could probably do 435x3 should I start at 6" with about 415 for 3x3, then 3RM second week, etc. ???

SELK
04-21-2011, 03:22 AM
I use 2 x 12s which are 1.5inches thick so i have heights of 6 inch, 4.5 inch and 3 inch. Every 4 weeks we lower the blocks.

415 sounds like it would be about right. The goal is just to get 3 work sets in, if the weight changes slightly between the sets its not a big deal.

most of the guys in my gym that are < 600lbs pullers actually manage to use the same weight throughout the cycle while lowering the blocks. So if they pull 545 x 1 off of 6 inch blocks, 4 weeks later w hen we pull a 1rm off 4.5 inch blocks they often get or even surpass 545.

Its a pretty brutal training cycle, but my team and I have found it very effective. We usually move to some good mornings afterward and that is it. If you are pulling that heavy with this kind of frequency the benefit of accessory work becomes smaller.

Dan Fanelli
05-06-2011, 08:33 AM
I wanted to update everyone and thank you all for the advice. I think i mis-interpreted what you guys said, because I cant figure out how I came up with my cycle based on what was said here, but it worked.

Here's what I did:

week1: Rack pull (below knee/15") 465 2x1
week2: 4" block pull 465x1
week3: from the floor 465x1 (30-40lb PR)

I was amazed with this, granted I did start using straps, but still. Im definately gonna give it another try, starting back at rackpulls with something greater than 465 this week. I'll also start working on my grip to try to bring that up.

Thx again.

chris mason
05-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Rack pulls can be done heavy but for most people dont have big carryover. They let you start in a unrealistic position totally different to that of a deadlift at that portion of the lift. Try some banded deadlifts and various lower block heights. Like nick said. Switch things up.

I totally agree.