PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to lose weight?

Toufu
04-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Hi everybody, I am new to here, and I am new to bodybuilding as well.

I am 170 cm (about 5'7) tall, 155 lbs, is that a normal weight? (27 year old)
I think I am too 'fat', my waist is 33' and hip is 38'... however...my chest is very thin...
I do not know whether I should try to lose weight? (as my chest and arm are very thin already....)
or should I just focus on lifting?

If I do need lose weight first, is there any suggestion on the diet?

Thanks in advance..

killxswitch
04-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Disclaimer: I am no expert. And I am 6'2 and 245 lbs so my perspective is very different.

Any man that is 155 lbs should not be trying to lose weight IMO. My guess is if you worked on getting stronger and eating quality food you would experience a body recomp where your arms and chest would grow and the lower body "bulk" (which cant' be that much at 155 lbs) would not look so bulky. Short answer, if I were you I would not think about weight/fat loss right now.

4g64fiero
04-20-2011, 03:34 PM
If your BF% is > than 20 then I would definitely lose weight for health reasons. Figure out your body fat percentage.

With a 33" waist, I say bulk.

Toufu
04-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks guys, I think my first objective is to get the fat out of my waist. I tried to work out 3 days and 2 hours each day in a week, however, the result is not really good, or I should say not noticeable...., I start to think that may be my diet problem, can any one help please, I read the past posts, however, I do not quite understand...

4g64fiero
04-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys, I think my first objective is to get the fat out of my waist. I tried to work out 3 days and 2 hours each day in a week, however, the result is not really good, or I should say not noticeable...., I start to think that may be my diet problem, can any one help please, I read the past posts, however, I do not quite understand...

Calories control weight....PERIOD. Start counting them. The quality of that weight is a function of your activities/genetics/nutrition not nescesarrily prioritized in that order.

Find out how many calories keep you at the weight you are then cut calories from there if you want to lose weight, add calories if you want to gain. The amount is debatable.

Also, behemoth knows his shit. He will probably chime in.

I dont personally think you should cut, but its about what makes you happy. In the end you are going to bulk eventually anyways so it doesnt matter. Just do one or the either. Lady's care about definition, but size impresses your buddies blah blah blah....you get what I mean.

ozmarc
04-20-2011, 06:46 PM
You're not to far off my proportions in terms of height, weight and age... In the end everyones body proportions are slightly different though. I'm currently bulking and my waist is around the 30' mark, however I have a alot more mass in my upper chest and arms.

My advise would be to continue to focus mainly on lifting, with a couple of days of HIIT type cardio thrown in on your off days, this should keep you fairly lean but let you put on a bit more muscle on your chest and arms. What program are you currently lifting on?

tcooper
04-20-2011, 06:51 PM
im about 5'8-5'9 probly closer to 5'8 lol but i weigh in right now at 177 at around 12% BF i just got off of a SLOW cut from 195 and even at 195 i didnt look fat.. yeah my BF was a llittle higher are 15 or so but i just looked bulky.. so I'd say bulk if youre 155.. like killxswitch said anyone that is 155 unless youre 5'0 tall needs to bulk..

Behemoth
04-20-2011, 07:29 PM
It comes down to you and what you're comfortable with. If you feel you look good enough to add muscle then do so. If you feel that even if you add muscle you won't be happy with your appearance due to bodyfat then diet first.