PDA

View Full Version : deadlift socks

gmen5681
04-21-2011, 08:03 AM
can anyone make a reccomendation on some type of shin saver for my deadlift. im sick of my shins being bruised and cut and bleeding every week. this week it was starting to affect my pulling because my shins were so tender. i wasnt able to pull back.

im sure most of you are going to say stop being a pussy or blah blah blah. but in my training right now im going for higher sets and reps with lower weight so its starting to become pretty bothersome.

so any help would be appreciated.

i was looking at some things on APT, but its like 30 bucks for a pair, and im hearing bad things about APT at the moment.

also was looking at metal deadlift socks over on elitefts.com

thank you

killxswitch
04-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I've read about guys that cut 40oz. cans in half and put those on their shins. Not sure what they use to keep them in place, maybe tape or rubber bands?

You could also just get some cheap shin guards like soccer players wear.

AdamBAG
04-21-2011, 08:45 AM
My training partner Phil uses shin guards that you could get at any sporting goods store.

Also, I've seen people wear knee sleeves at shin height for protection.

I am not sure that deadlift socks are any different than tall socks you could get at a sporting good store. You might just buy some socks made for baseball, soccer, football that come up over the calf. I'm sure they are cheaper than $30.

Tom Mutaffis
04-21-2011, 09:46 AM
can anyone make a reccomendation on some type of shin saver for my deadlift. im sick of my shins being bruised and cut and bleeding every week. this week it was starting to affect my pulling because my shins were so tender. i wasnt able to pull back.

If you have knee or elbow sleeves you can just wear them around your calves and they will protect your shins.

You could also pick up long socks from any sporting goods store, or just wear some track pants when you plan on pulling.

ThomasG
04-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Ace bandages-$3

Brian Hopper
04-21-2011, 10:30 AM
I'll either wear some cheap knee sleeves or soccer socks.

gmen5681
04-21-2011, 10:43 AM
awesome, thanks guys. i have a pair of cheap knee sleeves. i will try them out next week.

Brian C
04-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Cheapest and easiest fix(what I use). By a pair of soccer socks, 5 bucks. Get a 2 liter bottle of soda and down the whole thing at one shot. Makes one hell of a belch;) cut two 8-10 inch long x 4 inch wide rectangles out of the bottle and round the edges. Slide into the socks and say goodbye to your bloody shins.

Goll65
04-21-2011, 09:04 PM
just put a strip of duct tape over them, dont know if you shave your legs if not that might hurt takin it off

killxswitch
04-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Duct tape + body hair = pain, I would never do that.

barryisawinnah
04-21-2011, 10:21 PM
I never bust up my shins when I pull :(

cpa5oh
04-21-2011, 10:53 PM
If you pull sumo and have the knurling riding up your shin, I don't see how pants or long socks are going to be a real good solution, especially if you're using a deadlift bar or a new (with sharp knurling) Texas Power Bar. I've torn holes in pants - can't imagine socks hold up much better. I'm trying plastic soccer shin guards now...after just a couple of sessions they look like someone hit them with a grinder, but my shins are scab free.

gmen5681
04-22-2011, 06:09 AM
i warm up sumo, and then pull conventinal.

the duct tape idea...horrible im way too hairy for that.

i like the 2L bottle idea. sounds like a cheap easy fix that im going to try.

thanks for all the responses everyone.