PDA

View Full Version : Deduct fiber from carbohydrates?

baja_stx
04-21-2011, 08:20 AM
When adding up my macros, I typically list carbs as "net carbs" because I deduct fiber from the carb count.

What's the general opinion of this?

Also, if I do this, should I also deduct 4 calories for each 1g fiber?

Behemoth
04-21-2011, 12:14 PM
This is an interesting subject and for as simple as the question is there still seems to be some speculation from most parties on types of fiber and their caloric value.

My general and best understanding is that insoluble you do not derive any energy from. Someof the calories from soluble may be utilized in humans, I've seen 2cal/gram speculated. On top of this its believed that fiber will also wash out some of the other calories that are ingested with it.

So what does this mean for you? First off, in most any circumstance you're never going to be able to ingest enough fiber comfortably to add up to an appreciable amount of calories. And even if you did, its likely you'd actually net less calories absorbed by washing out other calories.

I would not count it in your calorie or carb totals.

baja_stx
04-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks Behemoth.

I was reading an article earlier today stating that some fat could become attached to fiber (I believe it was insoluble) and pass through the human body w/o any caloric effect from the fat. It didn't state any numbers and I assume it's a very small amount of fat, but interesting none the less.

My main reason for asking is because I am going to try the V-Diet starting next week... since my only source of food will be shakes (no fiber) I will be supplementing with ground psyllium husk and flax meal. If I deduct the fiber from the carbohydrates, both of these are zero net carbs... if I don't they'd account for about 30g of carbs or 120 calories. Nothing major, but 120 calories is substantial enough in my opinion.

Behemoth
04-21-2011, 05:29 PM
I think I've read as much as 3% fat and 5% protein in a meal could be lost in a high fiber meal (might have been 3g and 5g). Either way, I would not try factor any of that in and overcompensate for either macro during a high fiber meal.